GO!

700 MILE ROAD TRIP

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Tyson Savage- CGC

Let's do big dog- stuff!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 1:15pm PST 
Okay I know I've posted about moving before, BUT THIS TIME IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!!! We HAVE a place and we aren't relying on ANYONE else to take us or move with, so NOTHING is stopping us now and we are moving in a couple days! MAYBE EVEN TOMORROW!!

SO, the trip itself is going to be about 700 miles (twelve hours) from northern California to Southern California. Long Beach whoo!! Ty and Sas have traveled to San Francisco and back a few times and quite nicely, and that's about five hours and we usually stop twice, so I'm guessing I should keep up the breaks every two to three hours? Also we might split the trip in half and not do it all in one shot, which will be good too.

ANY DOGSTERS IN THE LONG BEACH AREA? I'm so excited to be moving aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 2:01pm PST 
Congratulations on the move! cheercheercheer When I drove from TX - PA (23 hours - 2 days) I would stop every couple of hours - needed or not. Just to stretch sometimes, other times for gas.

Good luck and be careful! blue doghamster danceballoons
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 5:42pm PST 
Congrats!

When I drove from St. Louis to Southern Oregon last year (32 hours, 2,100 miles, 3 days... I'm insane) I would stop every couple hours or so. If Conker was asleep then I'd skip that stop unless I needed gas, food or something else, but if he was awake I'd stop. I had him on a 30 foot lead most of the time and would let him run around where we stopped for a good bit so he wouldn't get antsy in the Jeep. It was long and had some scary parts (it was winter, with snow, blowing sand, ice and all that) but we made it okay.

Just recently I drove from Southern Oregon to Phoenix Arizona. Well, I didn't drive, but it's still a long trip. Did the same thing with Conker as the last year trip. If he was asleep when we stopped I left him alone. If he were awake, even if he didn't need to go, I took him out and walked around a bit, played, let him sniff whatever he wanted and take his time. Both on the way down and back up I took him to a park and we ran around a LOT for about an hour and a half so wear him out a bit.

Good luck on your trip!
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 8:59pm PST 
I frequently drive from So Cal to the Seattle area and back as my whole extended family lives in WA (and Onyx's breeder is up here so he first made the trip at 8 weeks old). I only let the dogs out when I stop for gas or food. Sometimes we split the trip into two days but I prefer to drive straight through which is what we did this time (currently in WA for the holidays). The dogs sleep most of the time either way so it's really what you're comfortable with. If you don't have anyone to switch off driving with, splitting the trip up might be better.

Anywho, I don't live in Long Beach but I'm in the Inland Empire which is about an hour's drive. There are some nice dog beaches in that area and it's generally pretty dog friendly down there.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 4:06pm PST 
My dog did a 2,000 mile rd trip. He was the least of my worries.

It's a good idea to take the dog on a long Walk the night before.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 12:36am PST 
We drove with the dogs from Philadelphia to the bay area in Northern CA, then from there to Socal, when we moved to S.LA. I think we stopped once for the norcal to socal trip, because we needed gas. I don't really think for adults you need to stop more often.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 2:08am PST 
We drove with the dogs from Philadelphia to the bay area in Northern CA, then from there to Socal, when we moved to S.LA. I think we stopped once for the norcal to socal trip, because we needed gas. I don't really think for adults you need to stop more often.
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 11:37am PST 
8 hour trip with Kato and we only stopped twice, once for food and once for gas. He didn't really need it. I just think of it this way, he sleeps usually for 8 hours at night and never needs a potty break, so 8 hours sleeping in a car is really no different.
[notify]
River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 5:25am PST 
We have been travelling in a motorhome since early October....on the go all the time! snoopysnoopysnoopy

River has settled right in to the routine...no problems whatsoever! It was all about routine....if we stop...she thinks it is time fur her to go outside....then back in and away we go. She loves it....has her little nose beside the window the entire time.

We stop every couple of hours....**red facered face something about being oldred facered face**

big laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh
[notify]