GO!

Flight reservations for my dog

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 2:53pm PST 
I have never flown with a pet before and I don't know how to do this. I've found information on everything except how to make the reservation!
My dog is 12 lbs and will be with me as a carry-on. When I looked at airline websites they say you have to call to make a reservation for a pet which is great but.. do I do it before or after I book my flight???
It says they only allow a certain number of pets and I don't want to book my flight and then have them say my dog can't come with me on that specific flight. But, I also can't put my dog on a flight that I haven't even reserved for myself yet.

How is this done?? Help!

Also, I normally use a site like travelocity to book my flight but if I'm bringing my dog can I not do that? Will I have to go directly to the airline to make both reservations?
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 3:09pm PST 
I've always booked my flight (you can use sites like travelocity or kayak) and then called the airline direct right away and told them about my pet carry-on.

If they told me there was no space I would request to have my ticket changed to another flight that could. Since I'd call right after I made the purchase they never charged me for changing flights or anything, since obviously my flight was contingent upon traveling with my pet.
[notify]