GO!

Dogs from British Columbia, need your help

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lilith

Barked: Mon May 2, '11 8:30pm PST 
Hey all,

I'm traveling to Salt Spring Island, BC in June and I'm not sure if I need to give the dogs Revolution or anything before we go. Where I live in Alberta we don't even worry about fleas really, let alone ticks or heartworm stuff so other than the occasional dewormer I don't give them anything. But we are headed to the island and I'm not sure if preventatives are necessary on the coast?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! big grin
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon May 2, '11 11:50pm PST 
Hi Lilith wave

I'm in the southern interior, and apparently, there have been a lot of flea cases at my local clinic...same with lice. I have yet to encounter either.

I do know that heartworm is present in the southern Okanagan (Oliver area).
Clicky! I believe this is the only area in BC that has an endemic heartworm population. Summers there are very hot and very dry.

How long will you be on the coast?

If you are only there for June, then I personally wouldn't be worrying about heartworm. Temps are much too cool for that.

I geeked out and found you the June 2010 temps through Env. Canada:
June 2010 temps
[notify]
Lilith

Barked: Tue May 3, '11 8:11pm PST 
Thanks Rexy! We'll only be on the island for about 10 days. I'm thinking maybe just as a precaution get them Revolution or something for the lice/ fleas thing if it is bad. *shudder* Lice/ fleas gross me out lol
[notify]

Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Tue May 3, '11 8:30pm PST 
Hi Lilith..YES..do flea/tick control I lived on the Island for a couple of years..no heartworm there. I'm in Vancouver now & will test them & start them on it when it finally warms up. We do have fleas & ticks & some reported cases of Lyme. When I traveled back & forth between the Invermere Valley & Calgary I did have Wiley on Heartguard. Pmail if you want some "secret" great off leash places in Van or the Island!smile
[notify]
Lilith

Barked: Sat May 7, '11 8:43am PST 
Okay getting Revolution for the doggies. Wiley I sent ya a PM! The only place I could think to take the dogs is Mount Maxwell, but I'd love more places to go. I can't wait to get some pictures of the dogs swimming in the ocean!!! Going to be so fun with them!

Edited by author Sat May 7, '11 8:43am PST

[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Sat May 7, '11 9:48am PST 
Hi Lilithwave Dutch Creek is an awesome, designated off leash park. It is northwest of Ganges. There is a creek running through it for swimming, or sitting & enjoying a snack while Lilith plays. It is north of Mt. Maxwell...worth a trip! There is also Ruckle Prov Park on the east side of the island, south of Ganges. It has ocean access for salt water swimming. Even places that say "on leash" people are very lax about enforcing it. The whole island has a live & let live policy...lots of old hippies from the 70slaugh out loud
[notify]
Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Sat May 7, '11 12:04pm PST 
Saltspring Island is great! I live on Vancouver Island but I have a friend whose family is from SSI and your dogs will loooove it. I do use flea control as well because this area is super-flea-y but I have never worried about heartworm either smile
[notify]
Momma's- Girls

Little Monsters

Barked: Mon May 9, '11 10:45pm PST 
wave Hey BC pups!! We live in the Lower Mainland.
Good luck and enjoy your trip!! big grin We've never had any ticks here thank dawg. No fleas either but I'm sure they're around.
Burrr that Ocean's gunna be cold but I bet you'll find fun stuff to roll in! laugh out loud The Island's beautiful!!

Edited by author Mon May 9, '11 10:46pm PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 9:32am PST 
Hi Girlswave Just a note..we have TONS of fleas & ticks in the Lower Mainland! There have been reported cases of Lyme in both people & dogs. If you go into any of the forested areas (Pacific Spirit, Central Park, Trout Lake, etc) be aware of the possibility of ticks. We had a bad flea infestation in December..took quite a bit to eradicate them from the house.
[notify]
Lilith

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 4:41pm PST 
Thanks everyone! We are really looking forward to seeing family there. Haven't been there in almost 3yrs, but its so beautiful and my mom lives almost right beside the ocean! And ya the waters going to be cold but last time we just slowly got used to it and theres this one lake there that is beautiful and the water was perfect! Plus Tollers were made for it wink However I don't think Sky will go anywhere near it if she doesn't have to lol.
At the end of this month we are going to get the dogs treated with Revolution, I'd hate to take any chances with them big grin Gotta get Lil her rabies too on Tuesday, my sis said there are a ton of stray cats and wildlife. But I can't wait to see what the dogs think of it. Ganges is such a dog friendly place, going to be a nice change being able to bring the dogs everywhere with me! big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2