GO!

Travel to Europe?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kiska

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 8:48am PST 
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone here had any previous experience traveling to Europe with your dog in-cabin?
We are going to France in early February to visit my husband's family and we are bringing Kiska with us. We will be flying Air France. So far they have approved us to travel in cabin but I am a bit worried only because Kiska is a rather tall dog (she's an Alaskan Klee Kai, standard sized, she's 4.5 months and she is 8.5 lbs and all legs!) Air France allows dogs in cabin so long as the combined weight of the dog and the bag does not exceed 13 lbs. We are fine as far as weight is concerned, I weighed Kiska with the bag the other day and it came in at 11 lbs. The problem is that they also say that the dog needs to be able to stand up in the bag and be able to turn around. Kiska is a bit taller than her bag (I believe the bag is 11" high and I think Kiska is about 12" or 13" tall at the withers). So she cannot stand up completely, but she has plenty of room and she can very easily turn around. Does anyone think that we might have a problem at check-in?
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 9:12am PST 
I really think you have to reconsider flying her in-cabin. If check-in does not allow for you to carry a dog like that, then you will be left without a hard cargo case for travel at the counter.. which can mean, you will not be able to board your flight unless someone comes to get your dog.

Some can be quite strict. A dog must be able to stand up and turn around, this obviously is for welfare purposes.

We have flown with the dogs to JP, Lilith, a toy AKK went as checked.
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 2:45pm PST 
Hi Lilith,
Thanks for your advice - AF says that the total dimensions of the bag must not be more than 45" - we do have a bag that is a bit taller, but less wide, and Kiska can definitely stand up in this one and turn around. I will call them tomorrow and run the dimensions by them. We don't really think it's a good idea for Kiska to fly in the luggage hold in her crate because she really hates her crate.
[notify]

Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 3:49pm PST 
Just curious, though, if she doesn't like her crate, how will an in-cabin carrier be different?
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 9:51pm PST 
Hi Lilith,
I don't know, Kiska has no problem getting into her Sherpa bag, but she does not like to go into her crate...maybe because she knows that with her Sherpa she is coming with us??
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 9:54pm PST 
OK. Also, you should consider how long you're going to stay in France... as you know, pups grow FAST and if she's a standard, if you stay there for even a few weeks, she really may not be able to fit in cabin on your return flight! If you will be doing travel with her in the future when she's grown, it's probably best to start acclimating her to a crate either way. A standard is really not going to fit in cabin when it's grown.

Edited by author Fri Jan 21, '11 9:54pm PST

[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 10:28pm PST 
We'll only be in France for 6 days - we unfortunately can't do any longer than that. We figured this was probably about the only time we would be able to bring her with us (hopefully in cabin?). We are mostly going to see my husband's grandmother who is very old and not doing so well.

And yes, we are working on the crate issue. I think we need to be very patient! We have had Kiska for about a month now and up until last week she would practically kick and scream if I put her anywhere in the immediate vicinity of her crate! It took a lot of time and patience, just holding her near the crate but now she will go in there voluntarily, just not for longer than an hour or so, and only if we are in her line of sight. Granted, she used to freak out with the Sherpa bags too but it only took a few days to get her used to them. Not sure why, but she obviously had some sort of negative association with her crate. frown
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 10:31am PST 
laugh out loud Oh yes, the screaming... laugh out loud

When we were crate training Lilith we had neighbors complain. Apparently she sounded like a neglected baby.

We crate trained her in about 3 days, thank dog.

What helped us a lot was to put a cover over the crate so she couldn't see us. Careful!!! If your pup is anything like Lilith, she will probably try to catch the cover and drag it into the crate to shred. After that, we put a big board on the crate and the cover over that, so that it created a sort of "eave" so she couldn't pull it in.

Now (she turned 2 in November) she loves her crate. smile
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 1:04pm PST 
Thanks for the advice re putting something over the crate. We will give it a try...don't know why, but since Tuesday, Kiska has been rather persnickity and agitated, growling, barking, and lunging at random people on the street, but especially at babies and children. Maybe the blanket over the crate will calm her down....(or drive her insane???)
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 9:12am PST 
Definitely blanket over the crate, but make sure she can't pull it in. I'd say it's definitely a spitz thing, resisting the crate so voraciously, then one day deciding it's their home and never wanting to leave it!

Tanuk cannot abide by soft sided travel carries, I suppose because he had a seizure in one and makes negative associations now. He loves his wire crate though, and we ordered a special canvas cover for it, which he seems to do much better with than when it's uncovered. With the canvas crate covers, they don't billow into the crate like a sheet or blankie and you can tie them down, so even as a crate hating pup, Tanuk was never able to pull it in and shred it, and eventually calmed down a ton.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2