GO!

Going rate for Dog Sitter?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Cooper

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 9:16am PST 
We are leaving our pup for the first time this weekend. We have a college student coming to stay the weekend, but since we are new dog owners, we have no idea what to pay her! She will be feeding, walking, and playing with Cooper for 2 days. We also are asking her to stay overnight. Anyone have a sitter come stay with their pups that can give us an idea of going rates?
[notify]
Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 9:50am PST 
When I was looking for a sitter here on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, the price was 60 for 24 hours, for the type of care you want.
[notify]
ACE

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 11:41am PST 
if the petsotter was licensed and boded, the charge is usually around 100/day or night if they are staying overnight.

im assuming this person is not a professional, and not licensed otr bonded, so i really dont know what you should pay her. I would probably cut the prfessional charge in half.

and in the future, i suggest being a little more weary of who you leave you dogs with. i work at a boarding facility, and i hear horror stories everyday from new customers who have left their dogs in the care of a petsitter, mostly they are pertaining to a similar situation as yours: someone who the family doesnt know watching the dog. not only could your dog be at risk, but you are leaving your whole household to someone you dont know, which can be a bad situation. i only recommend you use ones who are licensed/insured/bonded, and that you do a lot of research on the person.
[notify]

Cooper

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 2:00pm PST 
We do know the person that is coming to sit with our dog quite well.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 4:13pm PST 
It probably isn't enough, considering how much she does (2 walks a day; stays at the house, etc.) but we pay our friend/pet and house sitter $25 a day.
[notify]
Nikita

i want to go- outside!

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 7:36pm PST 
We usually pay $30 per night for our 3 dogs and also stock the refrigerator for ours.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 5:49pm PST 
This is going to depend a lot on circumstance, as others have mentioned. An insured, bonded petsitter commands a higher wage than the kid next door who likes dogs. When I was the kid next door, I charged between $10 and $20 a day, depending on what, exactly, I was doing. Now that I'm insured it's $30 a night or $200 a week, and half price for each additional dog - and even that has wiggle room. I am in an area with a higher cost of living.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 12:54pm PST 
I'm a contracted "professional" pet sitter, fully licensed and bonded. I think our area does have higher pet care charges though.

If I'm sitting for an unknown person it's $55 for me to stay in their home from about 7pm to 7am. If the dog stays in my home it's $45 a night. Another $5 per additional dog. However, if I'm just keeping my aunt's two dogs at her house she pays me $50 a day.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 6:27pm PST 
hey pro petsitters, what do you do with your own dogs when your are sitting overnight? Do you bring them along and hope they get along with the client's dog? I've always wondered about that.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 1:38pm PST 
Again, if it's people we and Tanuk know really well (like my aunt's dogs) he comes along. However, in most circumstances I consider it unprofessional to bring my personal dog along on walks or overnights. They're paying me to give their dog attention, so I feel that it's tacky. They stay home with hubby then.
[notify]