GO!

Mackinac Island

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Hutch

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 10:10am PST 
Hi Everypup!

Has any one done Mackinac Island and the surrounding areas with their pup? My family is going on Vacation, and would like to take me along, yipee. They read on dogfriendly.com how pet friendly the Island is along with the ferry operatorscheer. But what about other areas? Also, they would like any other info on making this a safe and enjoyable vacation for me. They would really like to go to the Soo and the Falls. They did find a Kennel that will board me for the day, since I can't stay on the camp ground myself.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 1:47pm PST 
I go up to Mackinac Island every year with my therapy dog group to participate in the Lilac festival grand parade and dog and pony parade. The island is very dog friendly, many restaurants/hotels/ ferry and trolley services allow dogs. Definitely one of the most dog friendly places around. As for surrounding areas, I honestly don't know, but I'd think that if you looked around you should have no problem finding a camp ground/motel that allows dogs, rather than boarding.
[notify]
Hutch

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 2:26pm PST 
Thanks Quincy!

We found lots to do, and lots of pet friendly hotels. We are thinking of doing a daycare drop off at TrailsEnd Kennels, so we can do the boat ride through the locks. He would only be there for the day, I saw them reccomended on one of the ferry websites and one of the campground sites.

The only thing on the Island we all want to see that he isn't allowed would be the butterfly exhibit. I guess one of us will sit with Hutchie and and the other will take the kiddo in. then do the doggie swap, kinda like the baby swap at Disney.

I wish we were going to be there for the festivities! We are going to be there right before hand, but have to be home for a wedding that weekendfrown
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri May 14, '10 4:07pm PST 
Just watch out for horse manure and chocolate fudge! I swear that's all I saw when I was there lol. Fudge shops left and right and manure in between.laugh out loud
[notify]