GO!

bringing a new puppy in to canada from the us ??

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

maximum

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 3:42pm PST 
i recently found a chi wennie girl for my maxi
and i have to go from langley b.c over the border to seattle and pick her up she has all her papers and shoots up to date. And is under 3 monthes will they give me any problems or will i need anything more ? i will have a reciept of how much she was also. And i have one more question does anyone now how much it would be to bring her back here ?
[notify]
molly(we miss you baby girl)

not your- ordinary gal

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 12:38pm PST 
I have no clue but i'll bup it up for ya way to go
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 2:19pm PST 
I guess you'll have to pay GST and maybe PST as well.

For my American friends, that means a tax and more tax!laugh out loud
[notify]

Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 1:32pm PST 
I'n sure my response is too late but I'll offer it anyway...

You shouldn't be charged for anything in either direction on the border. Unless you start telling them the entire story from the very beginning. Then you might encounter some sort of complications if you don't explain it just right. Keeping it short, sweet, and simple is the best at the border in either direction.

You shouldn't have to show much in the way of papers either because of the age. Depending on the size, you may need proof of age. Us leos are so big that they might question how old we are. As an adult, things change a little.

Most of all, leos are either so cute as puppies that they melt every single border patrol officer. Or they're so largely magnificent as adults that they melt every single border patrol officer. I'm a Canadian leo who's crossed the US-Canada border a number of times and always got a huge welcome either direction. All the other leos I know who are doing it are also gliding right through with no issues at all.

Hope your crossing went as smoothly as mine always do!
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 10:54pm PST 
If you are driving, you should not have any problems. I've passed through the Canada-US border 4 times and only once they asked to see the papers (just to make sure that the dog's shots were up to date, that's all). Have a safe trip!

Oh and there's no additional pet fees that I'm aware of.

Edited by author Wed Oct 15, '08 10:55pm PST

[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 1:13pm PST 
Snowy,

If a Canadian citizen is out of the country for less than 48 hours than they are responsible for GST and PST for the goods they purchased during their visit to the US. I believe this would include pets or any other goods for import.

You should have all vaccination papers to show if requested but this depends on the age of the dog.

I agree with keeping it short and simple. Honest is always good, too! Honestly, thinking border guards are your friends and will melt at the sight of a cute puppy/dog is unrealistic! It happens, but not often enough to make it worth the risk of your pup being confiscated.thinking

Edited by author Thu Oct 16, '08 1:19pm PST

[notify]
Jelly

The world- belongs to me!

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 10:10pm PST 
I have been back and forth over the border many times with dogs although not in recent years. I never had a problem but I always showed the rabies certificate and health certificate. I would assume that you may have to pay the PST and GST although I wasn't asked to. I do know someone who rescued a whippet in the States and brought it home to Canada and they were charged duty. I have also found that keeping it simple and honest is the way to go.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 8:04pm PST 
I'm a Canadian pup who made the trip to Idaho...no trouble or fees.wave This was 3 years agoway to go
[notify]
Lola CGC, TD

i'm kind of cute

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 9:07pm PST 
Otto, that's crazy!!

Though I can understand, we went to Niagara Falls (no dogs though lol) and I cannot believe it is 13% sales tax EVERYWHERE in Canada!

You poor, poor people.. LOL!
[notify]