GO!

Opinions on Bully Reality Shows

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 7:58pm PST 
Of course "Pit Boss" is just plain silly most of the time. Most of the shows center on the drama and frustrations of being a little person...I do have to say after reading Shorty's book he's certainly led a colorful life though. But the pit bulls aren't a big part of the program sometimes.

Then there's "Pit Bulls and Parolees", which I was just watching a few minutes ago. I can't tell some of you how hard it is watching a crime scene with dead and dying dogs, while you're laying on the back of a carbon copy of a bunch of them. That show is realistic.

In "Pit Boss" they'll be running into say a parking garage after a stray...two or three little people who probably are the total weight of the dog they're after...no catch pole, not even a flashlight and chasing a breed that can move incredibly fast.

The only criticism of "Parolees" is someone ought to tell those folks that tank tops, tats and cartoon colored hair doesn't really say professional in a courtroom. Otherwise it's an excellent show. Realistic about the challenges of rehab and adopting out those special doggies.little angel
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 8:58pm PST 
I agree. Pit Boss was obviously scripted on many parts. I don't like those shows that try to appear unscripted, but it's still obvious they are. Although, I do love his service dog, Hercules.

Pits and Parolees is real. I really like how they show the process of picking the dogs, and Tia says it like it is. She doesn't sugar coat it. She knows the breed, and their tendencies.

Her office space drives me nuts though. I'm not a neat freak, but I couldn't stand such a messy work space!

I do think the whole parolee thing may put a lot of people off, even some pit bull people because they think they're linking pits with bad people and making the pits look bad. But they're not getting the whole second chance bit for humans and dogs. But people like that, you can't do much with them anyways.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:24pm PST 
I don't care for Pit Boss; I love Pitbulls and Parolees though. It's great to see someone such as Tia and her daughters helping change the lives of dogs that needed a second chance as well as parolees that are trying to change their lives for the better. I've never seen any of them wear tank tops into court rooms so I can't comment on that, but I've seen Tia struggle with her own demons (her husband is facing 15 yrs in prison). I don't think the tattoos and hair color is a big deal because it's what's inside that matters. Much respect to Tia and her daughters for continuing to help!
[notify]

Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 4:13pm PST 
I stopped watching Pit Boss because of how fake and scripted it seemed a lot of the time. I like Pit Bulls and Parolees, it's a good show.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 6:27pm PST 
I guess I'd like to see a reality show, even just some regular sitcoms that have a bully or two as part of an average boring family. My critique with appearance is we want to see bullies in a happy, favorable light. Not disrespecting Tia and her daughters but people kind of expect ex cons and people a bit more alternative to be into pit bulls...and snakes...and hairy spiders and ewwwwwwww. Heeheehee, personally I enjoy breaking stereotypes...I look like a typical grandma and you can see people's expressions when they look at Callie, and look at me and back to Callie and sometimes seem a bit calmer to approach him. If I had more visible tats or multi piercings or stoplight red hair they would probably fear both of us...but hey that's suburbia for ya...
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 10:35pm PST 
Lol I know what you mean Ophelia. It would be nice to see a Pit on a sitcom or something. I only have two tattoos, but also have multiple ear piercings and a nose ring, so if people see me out with Angel or Angel & Becca they aren't so keen on approaching. Which I take as a good thing because I don't like strangers messing with my dog much anyway.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 10:22am PST 
Bye the bye...don't take my thoughts the wrong way...I do have numerous tats, just don't show them off too often and if I was 20 again I'd have even more and the nose piercing too smile But like I said they need more bullies in mass media. Bravo to Target and their bull terrier, and Rob Dyrdek has Beefy and Meaty on some of his shows.applause
[notify]
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 5:50pm PST 
Funny you should post this!

I just spent the weekend volunteering at Villalobos!!! I was in town for work and thought it would be nice to volunteer and see what the rescue is really about.

First off, I went into the experience not quite sure what to think about the show, the rescue, etc. Upon arriving at the rescue, I was actually amazed at how calm and quiet the kennels were. There were about 5 other "one-time volunteers" there as well as about 10 regular volunteers. The new volunteers were given the rules and walking routes and then the regular ones took the dogs out of the kennels and we would take one and walk it for about 20 minutes and then return it to the kennels. In all, I walked 7 dogs and then helped fill water bowls and gave out treats. I was able to cuddle with the dogs I walked while waiting for them to be brought back into the kennels and it was clear the dogs enjoyed it.

A few observations--

1) I was really impressed by how clean and quiet the kennels were. They really do take pride in keeping the kennels clean and don't allow "drop-ins" to keep the kennels calm. The dogs really didn't seem stressed. There were also fewer dogs at the site than I had imagined--about 80.

2) The people you see regularly on the tv show actually do work there and get their hands dirty. I worked directly with Earl and Dameon (parolees), Tania (Tia's daughter) and Nina (volunteer who adopted Alien in a recent episode). Tia was around but was walking the most difficult dogs and had limited contact with us. That being said, it was actually nice to know that she was too busy doing her job to be a "celebrity". Everyone I met was exactly how you would imagine them based on what you see on the show. I really came back with a feeling that what you see on tv is legit and genuine. These people really do care about the dogs and their jobs.

3) There are a lot of "unsung" heroes that don't appear on the show but are certainly responsible for a lot of the success--those people being the regular volunteers. You could tell that Tia puts a lot of trust into her regular volunteers and many had been there since they helped Villalobos move from California and were deeply devoted.

4) The only down-side I saw was that many of the dogs had been with Villalobos for a very long time. Some of them, specifically the non-pits would be highly adoptable elsewhere, so I was not clear why they were still at VRC given that most people who go there to adopt, go specifically for a pittie. Despite the clean kennels and two walks daily (and interaction with volunteers and staff) the dogs get, it was sad to know that many would live their lives in the kennels. I actually was not as bothered by this as I had thought I would be, since the dogs honestly didn't seem as stressed as I had imagined. Most seemed quite content in their "kennels and probably are just thankful to have somewhere safe and warm.

So, overall it was a great experience. I came away feeling very impressed with what they do and how "real" it all is. Despite being "celebrities", the people really do work hard on a daily basis and love those dogs. I would volunteer again if I am back in New Orleans and would encourage you all to do the same!
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 6:30pm PST 
Theodore, thanks for the report!! It's really refreshing because I adore Tia and what she does. I myself have mixed feelings about no-kill facilities for the same reason you mentioned- Is it really ethical to let a dog live out its life in a kennel? I'm glad to know that Villalobos is doing their best to make their dogs happy.... and that it is reflected in the dogs.

I agree with Angel on the appearance. Aren't Pit Bull people supposed to be all about breaking stereotypes? I don't think I've ever been in a shelter or vet clinic where at least some of the staff isn't tatted up. Tattoos and animals just seem to go hand in hand. Besides, just look at the people coming in to adopt those dogs- Most if not all have been "normal" looking every day average Joe people and even some families too. That's got to count for something.

As for Pit Boss, I watch it but I just can't take it very seriously and sad to say I can't take their organization very seriously either.

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '13 6:33pm PST

[notify]
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 7:14pm PST 
I have had some of the same thoughts re: stereotypes and in fact, I've joked that I want to have a show called "Ph.D.'s and Parolees" (that is the degree I have lol) that shows that people from all walks of life own pitties. That being said, stereotypical or not, the Villalobos people are doing such great things!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2