GO!

Police dog bites man at Walmart!

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shiloh ITD

GIMME BACON!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 9:51pm PST 
http://www.thecitizen.com/articles/06-07-2012/sheriff’s-k-9-dog-ge ts-loose-bites-walmart-worker

I've always been scared of police dogs because I didn't know much about their training. I've guessed that they where trained like in the bite sports where it is a game….. I'm starting to really question their training tecmiques. The first thing this dog did was attack someone! :O
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 10:41pm PST 
Well, I visited a K9 training facility once and the officer explained that the dog is only let out one side of the car in normal situations. The other door is controlled by a remote, the “bail-out” system mentioned in this article I believe, and is only used when the officer is in trouble, so the dog knows when that door opens, he's going to bite someone.

So I'm guessing when that door was mistakenly opened, the dog took that to mean there was a threat. It sounds like he may have been trained to bite the first person he sees when exiting that door, because that was always who was attacking the officer in training situations. That would obviously be a flaw in training.

K9s are not trained the same way sport dogs are, or at least they shouldn't be. And all K9s are not trained equally, some are trained really well, others not so much. The fact that he was able to recall the dog at least shows control. Not that I'm by any means an expert on the subject, but those are my thoughts on the article.

Edited by author Tue Jun 12, '12 11:05pm PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 6:54am PST 
Thanks to the 'war on drugs' a lot of local yokel police departments got grants to start a K9 program who never had one before. That often consisted of merely buying a single 'trained' dog for about 10K, assigning it to a handler and sending them off for a few weeks of training together so they could get out in the field fast. That's it. I have personally witnessed two completely unprovoked police K9 attacks, one nearly fatal as the bite to the thigh almost caused the poor guy to bleed out right before our eyes. Both with the dogs flying out of the car and biting the closest innocent bystander. No way in heck did either handler have anything remotely close to control of those dangerous animals. Screaming commands as the dogs would not let go...talk about a nightmare. One even had to club his own dog in the head.

I also used to live near the largest K9 training facility for my state's police dept, they're dogs are much better than our average town PD dogs, but the training...egads. I'd rather take my chances with a well-trained and well-handled competitive Schz dog. I've come to the conclusion over the years that most local level PDs absolutely should not have a K9 program. Most SD handlers have dogs who are way more stable in crowded situations. Whenever I see a K9 unit, I leave the area as I've seen so many substandard and unsafe teams over the years. I'm talking dogs who are throwing every signal in the book that they are totally uncomfortable and unpredictable, matched with a really poor and anxious handler. ugh. So this article doesn't surprise me obviously. I know that good K9 units exist, sadly here they are the exception not the rule.
[notify]

Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 12:05pm PST 
Where I live is not a huge town by any means, but it is growing, and the police have three K9 units (all GSDs), including one imported from the Czech Republic. During the Joplin tornado, one of the K9 units was sent to help search for people along with some of the police from our town. Reiko, the one from the Czech Rep, came to our school; he was very good with all the children around, and they were even allowed to pet him while he was sitting in the car, he was very well-behaved and relaxed (though his handler did say he got in trouble at home for counter-surfing)! smile

While I trust our town's K9's to be well-trained and in the hand's of competent handlers, I can see how many need to change the way the dogs are trained if there are some attacking the first random person they see out the door! That sounds very dangerous.shock

Overall, though, I still like and respect K9 units; and I think any town deserves to have a chance to have them as they make quite a difference...usually for the better.way to go

Edited by author Thu Jun 14, '12 12:12pm PST

[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 7:17pm PST 
Where are the police dept's getting their dogs? I saw this article on the news station wcvb.com.

BRAINTREE, Mass. - Three Braintree police dogs are off the job after authorities said they became too aggressive.
Police Chief Paul Frazier told the Patriot Ledger that he shut down the department’s patrol dog unit after one dog attacked and seriously injured a police officer, one attacked a handler’s son and the third attacked his handler.
“There is a certain risk when deploying canines, not only to our officers but to our citizens as well,” Frazier said in a statement. “The inherent danger associated with their deployment far outweighs the benefit and as such I have I have made a decision to end their deployment.”
Frazier said Patrol Officer Kristine Lydon “was the victim of a vicious attack” on April 28 while assisting two other officers on a call reporting two missing youths.
After locating the youths, Lydon was standing near her cruiser when police K9 Kitt escaped from the rear of another cruiser. The dog ran past his handler and attacked Lydon.
“Officer Lydon suffered a serious leg injury and was transported to Boston Medical Center,” Frazier said. “She underwent surgery and has since been released from the hospital.”
The chief said Lydon faces additional surgery.
According to the paper, the attack on Lydon was the third incident in a short period of time involving the department’s K9s.
Frazier said police dog Dargo was discovered to have a genetic impairment after attacking his handler and needed to be euthanized.
Yento, another police dog, attacked a handler’s son at their home, the chief said.

My job deals with lots of police officers. Sometimes I will walk by a K-9 cruiser and the dog will be fine. I walk by another cruiser and the dog goes ballistic. You would think that these dogs would be the most trained animals on the planet.
shrug
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 10:39pm PST 
Here.... basically no standard training... scarey.

In UK... it was very VERY different.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 10:45pm PST 
There is definitely the genetic factor to consider as well. The training isn't always at fault, sometimes it's just the fact that that particular dog should never have been trained for that kind of work. Most police departments don't have people highly educated in training dogs or recognizing a well trained, stable dog. I'm sure it's easy for people with unscrupulous morals to sell a flashy looking, weak nerved dog to a police department for thousands of dollars. I do agree with Lucille that most PDs are not equipped to properly handle a K9.

The ones I've met in person were all fantastic dogs. A K9 officer came to my academy frequently and both his dogs loved kids. He even takes his current dog to the children's hospital and visits the sick kids. But they have a well known and respected training program where they train their own dogs, so the K9 officers actually have extensive knowledge, which is not the case for most.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 9:04am PST 
The police here in Lebanon (Laclede County), as well as some surrounding areas, get their dogs/training at Ackerland Kennels (also in Lebanon). They have three dogs: Dax, Nitro, and Reiko (Reiko is from Czech Rep, but trained at the kennels). Riker is with the Conway police, he is the who helped with the Joplin tornado. I think they do a great job with their dogs as well as the training given to the handlers.

http://www.ackerlandk9.com
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 4:50pm PST 
How terrifying!! Lucille, that's horrendous and unbelievable. What are these police departments thinking??
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 11:08pm PST 
I would much rather see an extremely high barrier to entry for bitework, and have MOST K9s exclusively trained for drug seeking and search/rescue stuff.

Honing the aggression in a dog like that can be exceptionally dangerous if the dog isn't genetically right for it, and very few dogs should be able to meet that bar.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2