GO!

Can dogs get depressed when it rains?

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Caleb

Duck Chaser

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 6:50pm PST 
What the title says... My dog seems so sad whenever it rains so I'm just wondering if you can relate.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 7:53pm PST 
Hmm...I wouldn't think literally depressed, but I've noticed my 2 become a lot lazier when it rains. Usually, they're up at the crack of dawn, crazy and ready to go for a hike. But if it's raining, they're tucked away, sound asleep.

They both don't mind going out for a hike in the rain. But just the darkness of it just kind of makes them lazy I guess. I rather enjoy it. Gives me a break from the madness.laugh out loud
[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 4:37pm PST 
Interesting! I know I can get down when it rains, especially a few days in a row. I wonder if maybe the dogs pick up on our depression/sadness? Maybe it has nothing to do with the rain but a reaction to us?
[notify]

Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 4:52pm PST 
On Rainy days Snoopy and Baby are lazy.

But, Chewy seems to have extra energy. He always wants to go outside and after we let him out he patrols the yard then he either runs around and plays in the rain or sits right in the center of the yard.
[notify]
Otis

Champion of- sleeping cutely

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 5:52am PST 
Oats hates the rain. When I walk him in the rain, he's more subdued and depressed. I notice him more happy when I put his raincoat on him, at least his tail and head is up instead of low! He's like a cat. He hates getting wet. If the rain is gonna stop soon, I wait for it to stop. When I take him out then, he makes sure to walk around all the puddles.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 7:40am PST 
I don't know about depressed, but they can certainly get anxious when it rains. Tyler starts pacing, shaking and tucking his tail in between his legs as soon as it starts becoming overcast. When it actually rains he will shake on/off until it stops. He also starts the same behaviour just before a thunderstorm too.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 8:21am PST 
Clinically depressed, no. I live in the rainforest, so it rains here..a lot! My guys don't mind in the slightest. They like it & love the smells. I think dogs feed off how we feel. So if we project sadness, they are sad with us...or concerned. If you don't take them when it rains, then they may miss their usual activity, but if you didn't take them when it was nice, they would also miss it. So I don't think it has anything to do with the weather.
[notify]
Otis

Champion of- sleeping cutely

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 9:53pm PST 
I walk Oats snow, sleet, rain or shine and nothing gets me down! I think he's just a cat in a dog's body, LOL. While I think for some dogs, the person's emotions during bad weather can affect them or their expectations, I don't think it applies much to Oats since the weather doesn't affect me. It's very rare that Oats is my emotional mirror. He's just himself. We are almost opposites, but I love him very much. I hope my next dog loves rain as much as I do.
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 12:13am PST 
I don’t know that mine have ever gotten depressed when it rains, but if it is raining hard they usually do get pretty lazy and they definitely do NOT want to go outside in it. On days where its rained heavily for a few days in a row (rare here, but it happens), they just seem to want to sleep more than usual shrug

If it’s raining lightly/drizzling, we usually still go out for our walks though and they seem to be invigorated by it! Sometimes they even get the “zoomies” from it, especially if they are in an area where they can be off leash and chase each other. Their response to the light rain is pretty similar to how they act after they’ve gotten bathed- zoomy, happy, playful.
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 10:10am PST 
When it rains and I have to let Natcho out in the morning I open the back door and she sniffs the air, realizes it's raining and tells herself she can hold it. laugh out loud
[notify]