GO!

Answer to "I am not the Dog's 'Mommy'"!

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 11:49am PST 
I thought as much as we throw the dog mommy/dad references around on Dogster, that article was kind of funny--so I copied my comment on what to call me in reference to my dog . . .laugh out loud Feel free to add your own!

I suppose I can forgive people if they are too lazy, confused or thoughtless to come up with something more appropriate than "mommy" to describe my special relationship to my dog (which is obviously NOT "birth" mother) --but perhaps I can help with some alternative terms.

E.g. if you pulled your dog from a raging river--rescuer; if you give belly rubs on demand- masseuse; if you prepare his meals-personal chef;

if you pay his vet bills--medical underwriter; if he brings you coffee and slippers every morning--mistress; if you owned his birth mother when she got knocked up--breeder; if you make sure he's on time to TV appearances and press conferences--handler; if you buy him Christmas presents--Santa Claus;

if you go to dog shows every weekend, he's signed up for more than two classes a week or has to practice weave poles 3 hours a day--Tiger Mother; if you clean up his messes--maid;

if he manipulates your affections to be maintained in the lifestyle to which he's become accustomed--Sugar Mama; and if he bites someone and you get sued--Owner . . . .

Addend.--Jess, while I appreciate the poetic imagery --it's a little confused--I'd like think even his bio. mother did not have to give birth to a 100 lb dog . He was probably a mere 2-3 lbs back then. (Sounds pretty easy--until you factor in the sextuplet part . . .)
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 11:56am PST 
I loved that read.

Seriously, I get like sick to my stomach when people call me my dog's mommy. Sure, some people like to be called that or see themselves in that light. I don't. And it's rather silly to me.

What term to describe myself? I don't really label myself. I have dogs. That's it.

I'll throw dog owner or handler out there for sake of clarity. Those terms have a neutral quality about them to me.

Edited by moderator Tue Nov 29, '11 3:38pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:09pm PST 
Yes, I call myself an owner.smile Even if I'm more. I do call myself mommy and my first name to the dogs, though, at home, lol.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:27pm PST 
Well, last time I checked I hadn't whelped, so can't really be a Mommy...wink

I tend to use owner and/or handler, too, depending on the situation.

But at home, we've used mama and papa as nicknames. It wasn't a decision, just evolved in conversation. So did the cue "Go get papa!" Lucille happily runs to get DH, barks and herds him until he comes to speak to me. Heh heh most super useful cue that I've actually never trained for...
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:38pm PST 
I just wonder how far you take the mommy thing.

If I have 500 head of cattle, am I a mother of 500?thinking
[notify]
McFly

CHARGE!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:42pm PST 
Hahaha! Tiger mother. Oh, geez.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:43pm PST 
LOL, Augusta... those are really cute.

I don't know what I am to Bruno. I tend to say "I'm his person" to people. smile He's my dog, and I'm his person, it goes both ways.

But if someone says something like "awww, you just wuv your momma, don'tchoo" to him, after seeing him come to me or get a belly rub, I just smile. They mean well.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:44pm PST 
I will describe myself as a "mum" here on Dogster and especially in the more fun forums. When i'm talking seriously, i know i'm not my dogs mum and i consider myself their owner really over any other term. But at the end of the day labelling yourself as your dogs mum is not harmful in any way and it's not offending anyone so i see no issue with people labelling themselves as such. I will jokingly call my mum "Nannie" too, which both dogs get very excited about laugh out loud
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:48pm PST 
For the record, I don't believe people (most) who call themselves their dog's mommy are delusional into believing it's really like that. There are some that take it too far, but they are quite the minority.

I too just smile at the "your mommy" remarks from others to me. They do mean well, but it's still creepy to me.
[notify]
Maggie

Spazzy Dalish- Doggie

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 1:24pm PST 
I am not my dog's "mommy."

My dogs are adults. They are not babies. I think the whole "aww wook at mommy's wittle baby puppy he so cute wiff his wittle paws" thing degrading to the dog.

My dogs are my partners, my best friends, my soul.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8