GO!

Help find my friend's dog!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 8:19pm PST 
This is to anyone and everyone who lives in the Northern Virginia area--specifically in or near Fredericksburg!

Last week my friend let her husky out to go potty and he got out of her yard and vanished in to the woods. She searched for him for as long as she could, and even tried to call out of work that day, but they wouldn't let her. At least she did manage to cut her shift down to only 4 hours and when she got home she took up the search again. As it turned out her dog somehow MIRACULOUSLY made his way down to the Wawa on Jefferson Davis Highway (at the corner of Neabsco Rd), crossed 2 lanes of traffic without getting killed, got in through the back door which was left open, and wreaked some havoc in the store! A woman was seen on surveillance going to a white work-van (the kind with no windows) and fetching a leash and collar, then running back in and capturing my friend's dog and taking him back to her van and driving off.

This all happened a week ago. My friend and her family have been looking NON-STOP! They've posted flyers, posted online, contacted every single vet and animal shelter in the entire county, and several of the surrounding counties; they recovered the surveillance videos from the Wawa which showed the woman stealing their dog, but the license plate of the van the woman was driving can't be made out. They've spoken to the police who literally said to my friend "There's nothing we can do. It's JUST a dog." I kid you not! The cop said that to her!

The dog IS microchipped with accurate information to contact my friend, but obviously that's not going to do a lick of good if no one scans it... One of the vets she called told her they don't normally scan for microchips. I also know that the old vet I used to take Ava and Nix to doesn't scan for microchips either so that's not that surprising... although it's no less infuriating, to me. Another vet whom she called up even said "We don't deal with lost dogs." What does that even mean??? So even if they know a dog is missing and they see that dog walk through their doors, they won't do anything!? I don't even know, but it makes me mad!

My friend's mom has resorted to driving to the Wawa where it happened, parking there, and waiting for hours in hopes that the woman will show up again, but obviously that hasn't happened.

They're looking in to hiring a detective, and in the meantime have been fighting with Wawa to give them the woman's name (as she bought things with a credit card), as well as trying to get help from the police, who aren't being much help at all. ("It's just a dog" ...seriously? What kind of comment is that! Next time tell someone "It's just a TV." or "It's just a car." when their possession is stolen!)

My friend and her family have even contacted a local news station and are waiting to hear back from them.

So you see, they're doing EVERYTHING that they can possibly do to try and bring their dog home. I'm even considering spending a couple days at the dog park to see if anyone shows up with my friend's dog. You never know, right?

So, if any of you live in the area, please keep an eye out for Koba!

Edited by author Sun Jun 30, '13 8:29pm PST

[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 9:02pm PST 
I'm not sure how VA goes about registering dogs, but here they scan for a chip just in case the dog has one, even if the owner says that they don't know.

Here's hoping for the best! hug
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 1:44pm PST 
It probably depends on the vet, but even though Ava has one, and I know she has one because she was chipped by the rescue, and I went and registered it online so she's in my name, but according to our vet she doesn't have a microchip, because they've never scanned her.
shrug

I don't think very many vets in our area check for microchips unless you bring the dog in and say "I found this dog. Can you see if it has a microchip." which someone who stole a dog wouldn't do, anyways... frown

They're still searching. My friend had to go to TN for the summer, but her family is still looking, and she's planning to come home early assuming they don't find him while she's away.

ETA:
I forgot to say, about the van the lady was seen driving in the surveillance tape, it's a work van with no windows--just windshield, driver's, and passenger's. No side and no rear windows.

It's solid white, looks like a work van, but has no logos on it or anything. No racks on top. Couldn't tell the make and model from the video, but she said they think it was a GMC van. This is the description my friend gave me. I didn't see the video, myself, but I'm not good at identifying cars anyways.

Edited by author Sun Jul 7, '13 1:54pm PST

[notify]

Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 2:38am PST 
Most vets and nearly all animal control scan for chips when a dog is found.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 8:18pm PST 
Not most vets around here, Darcy. They won't scan a dog unless you specifically ask to have it scanned. And animal control didn't get involved, because the dog was stolen--not found. But I do have good news. The woman who stole my friend's dog gave him to someone else (I don't know why) but the people the dog-snatcher gave Koba to, took him to a vet and asked to have him scanned, and he got reunited with his rightful owner! big grin

I don't know if they're going to press charges on the woman who stole him in the first place. All I know is my friend has got her dog back!

Edited by author Tue Jul 16, '13 8:21pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 2:00pm PST 
Yay!!!!!!! I am so happy your friend got her dog back. Getting my dog stolen is definitely my worst nightmare.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 3:48pm PST 
I'm glad your friend got her dog back! Such a terrifying ordeal. party
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 4:55pm PST 
blue dog cheer snoopy
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 10:27am PST 
cheercheercheercheer
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 8:30am PST 
That is great she got her dog back. It's so sad vets won't scan dogs. :

I mean if the dog is new then scan for heck of it dog theft it high and always good to scan anyways as microchip might stop working for some reason or moved.

I think all vets and shelters should scan dogs even if owner says the dog is their it is still good thing to do as there might be other dogs like this that happened.

Plus why get dog microchip if the dog gets taken and then the person takes to vet to try act like owner..
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2