GO!

Police search wrong house and kill pit bull

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Dyno

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 7:28am PST 
Video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdnUHQs4bnA&feature=player_embedded

"BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) - Adam Arroyo has lived in his Breckenridge apartment for three years but has never experienced a day like this past Monday; when police busted down his door in search of drugs, shooting and killing his dog in the process.

"She's over here, chained up, and look at all these bullet holes man. Look at the blood right here," Arroyo explained as he showed Eyewitness cameras where his pit bull mix Cindy had been shot.

"She was tied up in the kitchen like I tie her up every single day, and they shot her for no reason."

When Arroyo returned home Monday evening he found his apartment torn apart, door busted down and several bullet holes in his kitchen wall.

He also found a search warrant for 304 Breckenridge, upper apartment.

The suspect named in the warrant was described as a black male and was wanted on suspicion of dealing crack.

Arroyo is Hispanic and lives at 304 Breckenridge, upper-rear apartment, which has a completely separate entrance and is clearly marked on his mail box.

Reporter: "You have never used or sold drugs in this apartment?" Arroyo: "Never. Never. I don't do drugs. I'm a United States veteran. I work everyday. I'm just trying to live my life."

Arroyo is a combat veteran who served in Iraq and plans to join the National Guard. This incident, however has left him heart-broken and angry.

"For police to wrongfully come into my house and murder my dog... It wasn't that they felt threatened. No. They murdered my dog," said Arroyo, beginning to tear up.

"That was my dog, man. That was my dog. They didn't have to do that, you know. They didn't have to do that."

Arroyo now has to pay to have Cindy cremated. He also had to repair his door at his own cost and has had to miss work.

He plans now to press charges against the City of Buffalo.

Buffalo Police spokesperson Michael DeGeorge says Internal Affairs has launched an investigation into the case, but that police believe they had the proper address.

He also says detectives "don't believe the dog was chained or leashed" when they executed the raid. Adding that if any wrong doing is found in the investigation that officers will face consequences.

DeGeorge could not comment on whether officers found any drugs inside the apartment."

http://www.wkbw.com/news/Army-Vet-Says-Police-Raided- Wrong-Apartment-Killed-His-Dog-210151651.html
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 9:01am PST 
What on earth??? Even if you live in the South Bronx...you come home from work, the police have busted into your house, shot your dog and basically it's like "Whoops" from the authorities????!!!! Not even THAT...they have the audacity to say they still think they had the right address and they thought the dog was unchained...as if that has anything to do with anything...

I hope this poor owner can sue everyone involved and win...absolutely...
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 11:11am PST 
Why would someone chain their dog up inside their own house?
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 12:23pm PST 
That is an excellent question, Noah...I wondered about that myself! I can't imagine ANY reason to chain a dog inside a house!!!
[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:07pm PST 
I've met people who did that with dogs they didn't trust around the house when they were gone,and who weren't comfortable with a crate, not that i would ever do it but i've seen other people do it.

Edited by author Thu Jun 6, '13 3:08pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:51pm PST 
Yes, I have to agree I was wondering about that too...but that they would kill a chained dog...what the $%&*? Break down the door and shoot anything inside? Somebody screwed up bigtime
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 12:19am PST 
Sadly, I've known other people to do the very thing Dyno suggested. Chain the dog up in a part of the house they can't wreck, either because they can't yet get a crate, or don't like crates. I personally only have my dogs tied when they're supervised, largely due in part to Charlie's epilepsy and the danger of strangulation.

I can get being in the wrong house considering... But to be in the wrong house, kill the innocent person's dog, AND still say 'whoops, well you can still fix our wrong-doing and we're going to keep justifying it and not apologize' is beyond ridiculous to me...
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 12:56am PST 
I've never seen a warrant describe a black man. Seriously? Go to this address and arrest the black guy? Really? Has it occurred to anyone that a large percentage of drug dealers deny it? Perhaps the police were wrong but I have doubts that they are refusing to reimburse for damages if they were.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 2:26am PST 
Sabi, if you've never seen a warrant describe a suspect as a "black male" you've led a very sheltered life. The article does not say that that's the whole description; we don't know what else it said.

If there's more than one apartement on the upper floor and the warrant did not adequately specify, that's an error and could easily lead to entering the wrong apartment.

As for the idea that if the police had made a mistak, they would surely admit it and pay for the damage, that's truly breath-taking. Police departments are rarely eager to admit mistakes, and examoles abound of them bitterly resisting it. Just one example: Some years ago in Boston,police executed a search warrant on the wrong address, and when they found an elderly couple inside, they proceeded to treat them as the Major Threat we all know drug dealers are. The terror and rough handling caused the old man to have a heart attack, and he died.

The police initially denied there had been a mistake.

Then they said that the fact that the police had gone to the address on the warrant, even though that was someone's typo, mesnt they hadn't done anything wrong; there was no reason they should have paused to wonder if this elderly black man asleep in his bed was the same, much younger, black male described in the warrant, or if this elderly couple were a genuine threat.

And, hey, they didn't kill the guy. No fault of theirs if he happaned to have a fatal heart attack thst night. Certainly no reason for the department to pay for the property damage done in the process of lawfully executing a lawful warrant.

Except that this particular elderly black man was a widely respected minister in the city, and while the widow didn't have much in the way of resources herself, there were plenty of people willing to help her sue the city for this egregious piece of fatal idiocy. Especially after it turned out that the typo that sent the cops to the wrong address happened in the police department, not at the courthouse.

The only odd bit is that the dog was chained in the house, but as has already been pointed out, there are potential reasons for that, snd no good reason to shoot a chained dog even if it being chained was poor judgment on the owner's part.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 6:46am PST 
I'm sure they can speak for themselves, but isn't Sabi's person the one who has some actual law enforcement experience? So probably not such a sheltered life...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3