GO!

China's Dog Meat Trade - This Has To Stop

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Girlie

Baby Girl

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 5:23pm PST 
....we need to find a way to stop this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2178302/The-horrors-Chin as-dog-meat-trade-500-canines-stuffed-lorry-served-restaurants.html cry
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 6:31pm PST 
It will be hard to stop a way of life. Luckily, there are plenty of Chinese people (especially the younger generations) who do not like the way the animals are being treated. Honestly, I have more of a problem with the way the dogs are being handled/treated then the fact they are used for meat (not that I really like that either, just I understand it). It is mostly due to culture, how we are raised, that westerners find dog meat repulsive (since we only view dogs as companion animals, or the 'furry child').

Since they mentioned SARS, and inferred it was because of the dogs and cats being sold, that is not true. It is true these markets sell all kinds of animals (and not very humane either, def not saying I think it is ok!), but the virus actually came from the more exotic animals being sold. There are a lot of varieties of fowl (which I do believe was the actual source), and exotic wild cats (I can't remember if they had a part in it). I lived in Asia during the outbreak, it was quite interesting (and sad, a lot of deaths) to say the least. There was a lot of fear, even after the main outbreak was over. I think when things like that happen, it wakes some people up to the practices going on that caused it. I know where I lived in Taiwan, a lot of the markets (especially ones keeping tons of birds in cages) were shut down by the government.
[notify]
The Summerville Seven

Gamecock- Fanatics

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 1:52pm PST 
Politely write, call, & email to plead for the end of barbaric dog meat trade, dog torture, dog consumption..........

Embassy of the People's Republic of China
3505 International Place N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008 U.S.A.
(202)-495-2266
email: chinaembpress_us@mfa.gov.cn

Together we CAN make a difference in the lives of these poor, companion, animals.
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 2:55pm PST 
if the standards of husbandry are on par with those applied to other animals meant for consumption, then it is what it is. Lots of animals are (and are not) eaten for one reason or the other and the difference is purely cultural. Citizens of India writing to our government to protest the consumption of cows (or any animal for that matter) won't make an iota of difference.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 3:15pm PST 
Exactly my thoughts, Lilith. What may be companion animals in one culture does not mean they are companion animals everywhere; also, totally agree that if you are not a citizen of said country, then what right do you really have to say in what they can or can not eat? Have you ever lived there, done anything for them?

Edited by author Mon Aug 6, '12 3:17pm PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 3:34pm PST 
Lilith applauseapplauseapplause
Ethnocentricity can be a dangerous way to view the world. There are plenty of cultures who think differently from mine. It does not make my way right & their way wrong...merely different.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 3:35pm PST 
I agree with Lilith and Twister. We may not consider dogs as a food source but other cultures do. We have no right to go to their country and tell them they are wrong. As long as its not an endangered species being threatened I think we should stay out of it. I don't want someone telling me what I can and can't eat and I'm sure they don't either.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 3:36pm PST 
Posted it twice. Lol

Edited by author Mon Aug 6, '12 3:37pm PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 6:10am PST 
I don't have a problem with people eating exotic meats THERE, I have a huge problem when it happens in the US. And it does. My asian neighbors used to get their free dog meat from the pound in bdgpt CT until I put a stop to it. They couldn't believe that this was such a wonderful country with free meat for the asking...um no (there were no adoption fees back then or background checks). They were literally fattening the dogs up tethered to their back porch with less than a foot of line. No more 'adoptions' to that group after that point. I get that people eat horsemeat in other countries, too, but they better not 'adopt' a horse and eat it here. (we've caught that happening as well)
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 6:32am PST 
Oh my goodness Lucille, and people wonder why it is so hard to adopt a dog from a good rescue! I've never heard of that happening here, and that's appalling. Anyways, yes, we need to respect other's cultural differences, but that doesn't mean we need to tolerate cruelty, and that is my problem with the meat trade. Not just in China, but here as well.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4