GO!

Owning a Dog should require a license.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chico

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 2:06am PST 
Far too many irresponsible owners, and far too many dogs dying as a result of them.

Owning a dog should not be a right, it should be a privilege only to those that show that they have the patience and time to take care of one.

Too many dogs wasting away tied to trees in millions of backyards across the U.S. Thousands being used to fight in illegal dog fighting rings. Countless of dogs being euthanized because the owner thought a leash was optional. It's time to put an end to these things, that frankly...should not be happening if we implemented a law saying that owning a dog required a special license.

Shelters all over the place have run out of space as a result of back yard breeders. By requiring a license, the number of people that are not qualified to own a dog would be greatly reduced, and that would also reduce the number of dogs ending up in shelters.

Strict qualifications must be met in order to be given a license, a back ground check should also be done. The license would have a unique serial number, and when the dog gets micro-chipped the number would be the same as that of your license. If you own multiple dogs, then the dogs would have the same number. thinking

What do you all think?

Edited by author Wed Jul 11, '12 2:08am PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 5:35am PST 
Personally while I would like to be sure that every dog,purchased,adopted,or given away should be in a loving home with people willing to meet it's needs,I really don't feel that requiring a license to own one is a good idea.
It would actually be one more burden that responsible pet owners would have to bear. I actually think enforcing existing laws and educating the general public on proper care would be a much better idea. I do understand you frustration at how many pets are neglected,abused,and just not given proper care and are not in the good loving,responsible homes they deserve.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 5:47am PST 
No.
[notify]

Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 6:10am PST 
I think this is something that might sound good in theory(to some), but would be disastrous to carry out. Some people's ideas of a perfect pet home don't match others. Such as having/not having a yard, a fence, kids, specific training style, etc... the list could go on. Such strictness would alienate an otherwise good home for a pet and even more pets would end up in shelters.

What we need to do, is keep plugging along at what we are doing now. The general public's mindset IS slowly changing. I'm seeing the change here, there are more really good shelters popping up and they are proactive in educating the public about treating pets humanely. There are less strays on the streets now then when I lived here 13 years ago. Yes, there's a LONG way to go, but if we keep heading in the right direction, we will get there.

Edited by author Wed Jul 11, '12 6:21am PST

[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 7:47pm PST 
you do have to have a dog liscence in most places already. For dogs. No need to make it harder. Heart might be in theright place but head's in the wrong place. The stuff you are proposing would make it too expensive to legislate and too opressive for peopel that have dogs and take good care of them and just want the government to get up off their back already. It's bad enough they require shots on so frequent a scale. There is an agreement that the dog will be taken away if you don't follow city codes and don;t keep vaccinations up to date. People that run rings don't liscence their pets as it is

people have been owning dogs for the better part of 20,000 years, why legislate it now?

Edited by author Wed Jul 11, '12 7:53pm PST

[notify]
Chico

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 11:58pm PST 
This idea popped into my head after I read this News report about a dog dying because it was left outside in the scorching heat.

If there were strict rules in place, on who could or could not own dogs then those types of tragedies would be greatly reduced. A loving and caring family does not leave the dog outside tied to a tree in the scorching summer heat.

http://www.woio.com/story/18980900/dog-dies-after-being-left-out -in-scorching-heat
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 6:21am PST 
I think the point that the rest of us are trying to make is why make it more difficult and expensive for those of us who are responsible,instead of enforcing existing laws and punishing those who break them and criminally neglect their pets as these people obviously did. They are the ones who left their dog out in the schorching heat with no water tied to a tree,why should we who get all the required licenses,vaccines,feed,water,and take proper care of our pets have to pay because someone else didn't do what they should have.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 6:33am PST 
And tell me this... exactly HOW are you going to enforce the totally UNenforcable ?

Money.. from where? Police..from where ? Brains for humans.. from where ?

Exsisting laws already cannot be enforced. You are going to end up turning decent folk into criminals.

Nice idea... but I fear you didnt think beyond the understandable gut reaction.You would simply create a black market in animals.. treated even worse

You see... there will ALWAYS be idiots... they have a wonderful knack of ignoring the system.. and sliding right on through it.

Put the money and the will into educating.. and you might(only might as the idiots will still exsist) start to scratch the surface.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 8:38am PST 
No thank you.

Having a license doesn't make people better drivers...
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 10:11am PST 
Educate, don't legislate.

Whatever mix of breeds Ace is, there's at least one not recommended for first time owners, which I am.

I was rejected by one rescue group for a particular dog they thought would have been too much for me as a first time owner. It stung. And if anything, Ace is at least as much of a handful as my first choice.

You get the government involved in who can have dogs, it'll inevitably descent into more BSL, and we'll end up with policies re: dogs as inane as zero tolerance policies in schools where kids are suspended over Midol and butter knives.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2