GO!

Rhode Island laws affecting transport rescue

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 9:17pm PST 
There will be a public meeting to "present information and gather feedback" on the development of laws on animal "importation" (from other STATES, hello - what an ugly, connotation-laden word!) - for adoption/rescue/or foster.

The state's Department of Environmental Management (Division of Agriculture) will hold this meeting on this Thursday, July 28, from 2-4 PM at the agency's headquarters in Providence. Not the most convenient time - personally, I'll be working, like most people right??

There are already a bunch of new regulations in RI about this matter. confused More on the way apparently.
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 7:02am PST 
Unfortunately, I'm also working otherwise I'd consider going. There are some strong greyhound rescue groups in RI, and I bet if they are still active they are importing dogs from the states that continue to host tracks. These were politically active and influential groups at one time (I'm not sure about present day), so they may still be helpful with this issue.

If RI is tackling transport rescues, I'm sure CT will have something on the horizon pretty soon. The only (sort of) good thing is that since we've had several high-profile exotic animal cases recently, it seems the same dept. equivalent to RI in CT is currently more concerned with getting stricter regulations in place regarding the importation of exotics.

An alligator wearing a dog collar was moseying down the road last week...like 4-5 years old, quite large and strong. yikes.

Please keep us posted...and I do hope RI is sensible about this.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 8:33am PST 
I believe they schedule their meetings during hours when everyone is working on purpose. Good luck and keep us posted!
[notify]