GO!

Chico got attacked by an unleashed dog at the trails today

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chico

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 2:46pm PST 
I'm tired of this. The trails where I take Chico have a big sign that says "DOGS MUST BE LEASHED AT ALL TIMES" Yet every day that we go we come across 1 or 2 people that don't have their dogs leashed.

But maybe it's just me and I'm being over protective by not letting Chico roam free? So is it just me? or are these people irresponsible? This morning we came across a man that was walking 2 very over weight Chihuahuas. They were running free and and were un-leashed. The 2 came running up to us and they instantly started to attack Chico (he was leashed) Thankfully no one was seriously injured. I was seriously thinking of kicking these two dogs off him.

The man came running up to us and apologized, and I didn't say anything. However next time his dogs will get in serious trouble when they come across a larger dog or an owner that will report him to the city for not leasing his dogs in a leashed only area.

So is it just me? Should I just start letting Chico run loose? Because a lot of people seem to ignore those signs that say "DOGS MUST BE LEASHED AT ALL TIMES"

Do you guys leash your dogs when going to the trails?
[notify]
Stinger

Beauty and- Brains

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 4:47pm PST 
I always leash my dogs when we go to the park or trail for a walk. I also see a good amount of people who do not leash their dogs. I have had issues with off-leash dogs attacking mine when we were out for a walk even though there is a sign that says all dogs must be leashed. I think that if people want to walk their dogs in a public trail without a leash that is their choice however should any serious injuries ever happen, the person with the unleashed dog is responsible. I would not do it because anything can happen, they could get spooked by something and run off or get into a fight.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 5:26pm PST 
Chico was an innocent victim of dogs with an owner who was clearly breaking the law. Thank-you for being responsible and following it. Plese for his safety keep Chico leashed. Also carry some type of pepper or citronella spray and if possible a cheap cell phone with a camera feature. I have a Trac Fone $10 at Wal-mart that has a camera in it. The cards to put time on the phone are $25 for 90 minutes and 90 days. I use mine only for emergencies when I am in the car alone so I have alot of minutes built up. My hubby takes it to the store with him when I choose to stay at home and we use up my minutes shopping by telephone. We also take it with us everytime we walk the dogs just in case. I'm glad Chico wasn't seriously injured.hugwishes
[notify]

Chico

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 6:05pm PST 
The man even told me that his dogs were aggressive towards other dogs, yet he had them unleashed. That's just asking for trouble. If you know your dogs are aggressive towards other dogs then you keep them on a leash at all times.

Mika - Next time Chico gets attacked by an unleashed dog I will report the incident. I'm just tired of people not following the rules, especially when there's a big sign that says Dogs must be leashed while on the trails. It's just for the safety of everyone.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun May 6, '12 5:34am PST 
Honestly, it's not your fault at all that others are refusing to obey the law. I HATE that. My city has leash laws unless otherwise specified in dog-park areas. Owning a leash-reactive dog, I DO NOT appreciate other peoples dogs coming up to and harassing my dog either, whether they want to play, or have intentions otherwise.

I'm sorry Chico got attacked. I honestly WOULD have probably either picked up my dog, or kicked his dogs. I will do what I have to do to protect my dog, regardless of what happens to his and I would report it every time anything like it happened.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun May 6, '12 7:29am PST 
I love hiking with my dogs off-leash but I NEVER break the law. If it's so much as hinted that dogs have to be leashed, I keep them on. I also leash my dogs up when I see other people, dogs, or animals, and always give them the right-of-way.

I really don't understand why some people feel that the law doesn't apply to them. That really bugs me to no end.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun May 6, '12 8:37am PST 
That is exactly why I suggested the cellphone with a camera. A picture is worth a thousand words when your dog is being charged at by an agressive dog whose owner is breaking the law. There is someone here who allows their agressive dog to run loose even though it has a bite history. Because of the owners being involved in city politics no one will report it and AC/Police like their jobs too much to risk upsetting the owner. I have a 5 ft. fence,my dogs stay in it. This dog has lunged at my fence,growling,barking,and even snapping at my dogs. It has even tried digging it's way under the fence to get at them. Were anything to happen my dogs being "one of THOSE breeds" would be blamed. I now keep my video camera charged and ready for the next encounter. I do not care who this person thinks they are I will not lose my dogs over something they didn't start should that dog get in my yard and my dogs defend themselves from it's attack.hugwishes
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun May 6, '12 12:22pm PST 
I would be calling AC to complain and suggesting what time of day they are most likely to find irresponsible owners to ticket.

A camera is a good idea, as well as noting the description of the owners and their dogs.

I would consider carrying something like SprayShield (citronella spray used as a dog deterrent) and using it if you have another encounter with an aggressive dog. Or carry a walking stick and use that to block/repel mean dogs.

I don't hesitate to use my feet to get small nasty dogs away from us. I will stomp and block, and will kick at them to get them to leave us alone.

Something else that I would be keeping in mind is how these unpleasant encounters are affecting Chico. If he is starting to become fearful/reactive/aggressive to other dogs, then I would be choosing another place to walk for a while.

It completely sucks and is very unfair to have to stop using an area because of irresponsible people, but for me, it's not worth the training set-back.
We also have a park where dog owners feel leashes are optional, so while I love taking Rexy there, we skip it during certain times of day as it's almost guaranteed we'll have an unpleasant encounter with a clueless dog owner.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 4:27pm PST 
My dog was attacked by an off-leash phyco Labrador before. This occurred on a hiking trail that permitted off leash dogs. My dog was off leash like usual on hiking trails. I don't think if Milton was on a leash it would of made a difference. Before the attack the owner yelled loudly "is your dog friendly!!!". Her lab was a lot bigger than my 15 pound rat dog. He quickly ran towards Milton hackles raised, barking and snarling. He knocked Milton over. Milton was minding his own business and smelling the scents.

The lab handler was aggressive. Her yelling was startling. She was obviously panicking. Her behavior probably had a lot to do with her dog's aggressive reaction. I think dogs can pick up on all human emotions and will react to them. These reactions can be inappropriate. Be cool, be level, try not to react. Keep on walking!

Best thing you can do is to remain calm. The lab backed off. I hike often with my dog and seldom have issues. I think being calm makes a huge difference. If an off leash dog is sighted, I don't react. I keep walking and don't look at the other dog. If I don't react or become nervous, my dog will more likely ignore the other dog and follow my lead. He does this off leash too. Most dogs I encounter when hiking are friendly. It helps if both sides remain calm. If another dog approaches and is behaving normally, I allow my dog to interact and will acknowledge the other dog. I often praise my dog for good reactions to other dogs, like ignoring reactive dogs or greeting another dog in a friendly manner.. I reinforce good behaviors.

Reactive dog handlers, my dog will not approach a dog who is pulling at the leash, barking, whining, snarling, ect. He is an experienced well socialized and balanced dog who's been around the block. He will ignore your dog off and on leash. Reactive dogs are not a reason for me to leash my dog. I can not even count the times reactive dogs have pulled hard on their leashes towards my dog while I calmly walk by with either no leash or an unlocked flexi with my dog at my side.

I don't carry mace, just a gnarly knife. It is for stabbing mountain lions or rapists, not other dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 9:40am PST 
I had an issue much like yours, but the off-leash, attacking dog was much larger than a Chihuahua. What people fail to understand is that their dogs don't have to be "bad" in order to be dangerous. If a dog gets too excited, even while happy, a fight can occur. Even with my dog leashed, I always ask people if it's OK to approach their dog(s) before coming within 10 feet of the, because you never know. That dog who looks calm could just be holding it in. I've seen it happen.

I live in Arizona, which has very liberal concealed carry laws, and I routinely carry a gun while I'm out. When the attack happened, I pulled out my .357 and fired a round into the ground. I wanted to avoid shooting the loose dog if possible, and luckily the loud noise ended the issue immediately. There was some yelling from the dog's owner about illegal discharge, but it is justified if your safety is at risk, and a loose dog on the attack isn't. This is not the course I would advise in most cases, but I didn't have pepper spray and the loose dog was too large to restrain without a significant risk of serious injury. Now I also carry pepper spray.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2