GO!

Someone called the cops

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 11:43pm PST 
My dog likes to go with me and I like to take him. I leave him in the car all the time and he does fine. Better than when he's left at home, as funny as that sounds. At home there are people and other dogs but I'm his person and that's basically all he cares about. When he's left at home he mopes around, whines, and seems generally upset. When he's in the car he is calm and watches what goes on around him. (I know he does this, I have hidden from him in a parking lot and watched to see what he'd do when I left.)

Anywho, I would get miffed if someone called the cops/animal control on a nice day, or even a mildly cold one, no matter what the length of time was. (I don't leave him in the car for more than 30 mind anyways, since whatever I'm doing never takes longer than that.) He is not restrained while in the car so he can get out of the sun if he wants to when it's warmer. So when it comes to that, please don't be concerned, it's not needed or wanted.
I would never leave him in the car on a hot, or potentially hot, or very cold day. But if I were every stupid enough to, I'd deserve it. No animal or kid or living thing of any sort should be left in a hot or cold car for any period of time.

My issue with laws against it are that there are enough of them already. That won't fix the problem, since the stupid people are still going to do it regardless and you are only going to hurt the non-stupid people. The solution is education on the matter but that is a difficult thing to do. Most people just don't pay attention.
And saying that someone who gets a ticket for leaving a dog in the car won't do it again... Is the same as saying that someone who lets a dog off-leash in an area where that's not allowed won't do it again because some park ranger yelled at them. So what's the solution to that? Ban dogs altogether, even the ones who's owners follow the laws. So that segment of the argument for laws doesn't quite work. Again, it's the smart people who will get hurt, not the stupid ones.
[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 8:11pm PST 
Oh, I agree Charlie. I wouldn't hesitate to report someone who left a dog in a car for a long time on a HOT day either. In the middle of the summer when it gets near or over 100 degrees out the dogs don't even get to go to the park, because it's just so freakin' hot that I'm afraid even with AC they'd be suffering in the back seat (no rear vents goshdarnit... not to mention it's too hot to be outside for long.)But on a cool spring night it's different. smile

Incidentally, a few years back my fiance (boyfriend at the time) and I went to get ice cream during a particularly hot day. We noticed in the parking lot there was a cop car... a K9 unit car to be exact... but no cop, and there was a very upset sounding German shepherd barking its head off from behind the tinted windows. This was a K9 officer leaving his PARTNER in the car while he... well, I assume he went in to Petsmart since that was right next to the ice cream place my fiance and I were at. That is completely unacceptable and if his dog suffered I hope he got stripped of his position.

But again, if it had been a cool night I wouldn't have cared. I only see it as a problem when it's too hot to leave a dog in a car, or if the dog is completely panicking from separation anxiety and ripping things apart and no-doubt going to hurt itself.

"My issue with laws against it are that there are enough of them already. That won't fix the problem, since the stupid people are still going to do it regardless and you are only going to hurt the non-stupid people. The solution is education on the matter but that is a difficult thing to do. Most people just don't pay attention."

Quote for truth! My thoughts exactly. smile

Edited by author Tue May 15, '12 8:11pm PST

[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 10:27pm PST 
Maggie goes with me just about everywhere...she has pretty severe separation anxiety when left home alone, but is wonderful when left in the car. I used to have to bring her to work with me and I would leave her in the car for the full shift and check on her during my breaks. I guess though that to some she would be better off left at home panicking. There are no doggy day-cares that I would trust to watch her and my family and friends can only do so much to help me with her. She is not a placeable dog in the way of rescue as she drives even the most experienced dog people I know crazy. I made a commitment to her and if leaving her in the car is what lets me keep her, then so be it.

I also am a single person who does a lot of traveling with the dogs. I recently took a cross country trip with all three dogs to Michigan from WA State (and back) during the hot weather in March. My AC didn't work, but you can bet that the dogs were cooler than me as they had the full set-up that I use during summer agility trials. I have stayed in the car in the set-up I leave my dogs in the car in and I found it just fine and if I happen to park in the shade, cooler than the house when we get hot weather. I also live in an area where AC in the house is not all that common and central air is practically unheard of unless it is a large building.
[notify]

Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 5:38pm PST 
Our AC blew out during our cross country road trip (WA to VA). We took it during March/April, and the weather was perfect up to Minnesota, but practically as soon as we hit Illinois the heat and humidity suddenly became nearly unbearable. To this day I've never felt humidity as bad as it was when we passed through Chicago (I don't know if it's like that all the time in the spring/summer... I don't have any intention of passing through there again to find out. Next time we're avoiding toll roads). silenced

I opened all the windows in the back but for the most part Ava opted to stay under the bed. She wasn't left alone in the van for any amount of time. When we hit West Virginia she FINALLY decided it was too hot under the bed and got up on top of it to lay next to the open window (there's a picture of it at the bottom of her profile--the way my windows are, she couldn't even crawl out if she wanted to, let alone fall out, so no worries. wink)

We slept in the van. No wasting money on hotels during our road trip. As hot as the day time got, once the sun went down it was tolerable. Fiance and I would sleep on the bed, and Ava would crawl back underneath it.

I desperately want to take another road trip, but will definitely have my AC fixed before then. wink We survived just fine obviously, but I'd like for next time to be a little more comfortable. haha

Edited by author Wed May 16, '12 5:39pm PST

[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 9:42pm PST 
My dog loves to go outside in the yard and lay the snow in the winter, she'd do it for a long time if I'd let her, but I don't let her stay outside for very long. Although I don't take her in the car in the winter if it's too cold, I don't think she'd mind if I did because she never seems to mind the cold.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 4:59pm PST 
That did seem out of bounds, Ava, considering it was night time too! I do get paranoid about the possibility someone will be overly concerned about me leaving Gus in the car because she goes nearly everywhere with me, including work--there are times I might make a quick stop, or errands in addition to taking her to the pet store across town.

But I'm always very conscientious about the exact time I left the car and the weather. I've debated whether to post my number on the window to call just so someone would call my cell phone if they had a concern rather than freak out . . . . but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not . . .shrug
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 8:01pm PST 
I was at an agility trial in Los Angeles and we stopped to get something to eat on the way home, got out of the car, let the back hatch open with the dogs in their crates and went in and picked a table next to a window where we could watch the car. It was not dark yet but it wasn't hot so we figured the dogs where fine. About 30 minutes later a police car pulls up and stops at my car and looks in at the dogs who barked their heads off. I went out and they gave me a $150 ticket for leaving my dogs unattended in the car. I was floored.
[notify]
Jaguar

Meow?

Barked: Sat May 19, '12 6:54pm PST 
@Huck

That's ridiculous. I mean what else are you supposed to do? You can't bring the dogs in with you, that is rather frowned upon. I guess it was possible to head through the drive through, but then you would be distracted while driving. Oh my! silenced
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 6:51am PST 
Kashmir pretty much grew up in my car. I take her almost everywhere I go. If i have to run into a store for a quick second i bring her and she stays in the car. She is pretty comfortable in the car. I do take her on trips at night becuause it makes me feel safe and I like having her with me. But i never bring her on a really hot day and leave her in the car.

I cant spell today big laugh

Edited by author Mon May 21, '12 6:53am PST

[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5