GO!

Hiking Responsibly with our dogs

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 10:56pm PST 
I live in a townhouse complex - many townhouses here, lots of grassy field in between each which gives everyone a bit of space from each other, it's nice. Unfortunately, nobody here has fenced yards, so many people use tie outs in the front(I NEVER, EVER leave Charlie out there alone because of all the people and stray dogs). Problem? Most people just let their dogs run loose without tie outs or leashes at all. Leaving their dogs to poop where others tie their own dogs out in front of their own homes. The biggest problem with this isn't just people stepping in it, but the fact that if someone complains to the condo board, they will fine you $250 for the complaint.

The other day, I picked up poo in front that was not Charlie's(my fiance and I clean up after him EVERY time he defecates so as to prevent people feeling the need to complain at all). I was NOT impressed AT ALL. My neighbor hates it just as much as I do, because not only does she have a dog that she cleans up after, she also has an eighteen month old baby that plays in the grass.

I hate it when people are simply too lazy to clean up their pets feces.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 9:35am PST 
Erg, before I had a dog, I often thought it was gross to have to pick up dog poop and didn't know whether I would want that responsibility if I got one.

Now that I do have a dog--it's seriously so easy, after you do it several hundred times, there's nothing to it! laugh out loud

It's the least one can do if one is going to take on having a dog.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 11:42am PST 
There's someone who walks their dog in my neighborhood who lets their dog poop on the sidewalk and they don't pick it up. And it isn't just a pile. Their dog poops and walks so the offender leaves a stretch of it. Not difficult to pick up.
I think I know who it is, although I've yet to catch them in the act, but if I do, they will get an earful.
There are always people pushing kids in strollers, walking their kids to and from school or exercising/walking on these sidewalks. How someone thinks it's ok to leave it is beyond me.

Aren't people afraid of someone seeing them? Like Mikey, Moose is the highest profile dog in the neighborhood and there's no way I wouldn't pick up after him. For many reasons. I know he'd get blammed for even the smallest of poops. We'd be the easiest target.
Someone let their large dog poop in the dirt strip on the sidewalk in front of my next door neighbors house. It was a big dog and no doubt Moose would get blamed, so I had to clean up after them.
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 8:59pm PST 
ya know what really burns my biscuits?

Dog poop on the BEACH. Seriously, folks? You're going to leave it where some little kid building a sand castle will find it? Where everyone goes barefoot? Where it will wash into the ocean where people are swimming?

Oregon is one of the few coastal states where dogs are welcome on ALL beaches except for a few state parks. I would hate for that to change. frown
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 3:59pm PST 
I really can't stand the people who leave the full poop bags behind. I have seen probably more than 100 old dusty poop bags on the side of trails and sidewalks. This is much worse than not picking it up. Those plastic bags are going to sit there and preserve the poop for years if no body picks it up. Some people do leave the poop bag to pick up later. I don't like this either. I don't want to see any trash on the side of the trail. If you are going to pick it up on the way back, stash it somewhere you will remember and other people won't see it.

You can burry the poop as long as it's not 100 feet from a river. I have even seen human wastes with toilet paper close to the rivers. Disgusting! They are probably as smart and thoughtful as the people who leave the poop bags behind.

Sometimes flinging it off trail is inappropriate. Some of the most popular trails are full of side poop too. When I am in remote less popular trails, I think flinging the poop far off the trail is acceptable. Milton poops are very small and burying a tiny turd is super easy with a good stick. Good sticks are everywhere in the woods.

There are other people who are irresponsible too. Last summer I saw a terrible dog owner on a 14er high alpine trail. This person had no control over their dog and the black lab was out of her sight. I knew it was her dog and my group was a head of her after passing them. Her dog was under no control in a sensitive eco system. She was calling it several times. The dog did not recall. I'm assuming she had no control on a leash too. I don't understand why she did not put the dog on one when she had the chance. She gave up and the dog left her sight. The dog went well ahead of my group. If there were any mountain goats or other animals, that dog would of took off chasing them. This trail had a leash policy. I don't think she cared about her dog. Dogs are lost on trails often.

My 15 pound dog was knocked over by an aggressive off leash black lab. Another hiker with no sense of responsibility. She yelled at me asking if my dog was friendly. Another time this couple yelled at me loud to put my dog on a leash. Your not suppose to yell or scream on trails. It is startling and disruptive of the peace and quiet of a hike.

Most hikers I encounter are responsible and have good dogs with them. I don't have that many irresponsible hiker stories. Other people that make me angry in wilderness areas are the messy campers who leave trash behind and do not tidy up the campsites.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 7:57am PST 
I think what all of this boils down to is we all wish others could be as considerate and responsible for themsevles and their dogs,and quit ruining it for the rest of us. If you live in the city or suburbs or anywhere there is close quarters,take the time and responsibility to clean up after yourself and your dog. If you enjoy hiking trails,beaches,or parks that are still dog friendly,clean up after yourself and your dog so that others can enjoy the area the way you did. If you would hate to see it,step in it,or clean it off your dog,pick it up when your dog does it.No one else wants to have to do that either. Keep your dog off of other peoples lawns,even if they have a dog,they have enough to clean up from their own,clean up after yours or better yet,don't let it use someone's yard as a potty patch. Be as kind,considerate and respectful of others as you would want them to be of you.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2