GO!

When Your Neighbor is an Irresponsible Owner...

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3  
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 8:19am PST 
OP I am very sorry for your loss know how you feel about neighbors not caring. A couple houses down from me there is a couple that bred their 2 Pit Bulls together. The male is a complete psycho. The female is very sweet though and also has obviously been bred several times poor thing. Anyway, when the puppies got to that age where they could hobble around and explore their world, they found a weak spot in the fence and decided to take an adventure... to the front of the house... next to the road. Obviously I don't want them getting hit by a car, so I knocked on the door and told the woman that the puppies got out and she should check her fence. She collected the puppies and that was that. Later that day what do I see? Wandering puppies again! They got out at LEAST twice a day and just when I decided that next time I see them out wandering I'm taking them home with me, they FINALLY get the point and keep them in the house. So the puppies were sold and like a week after that, the ADULT dogs went through the fence. Psycho male ran over and was charging lawn care that was doing work next door to my house. They jumped in the back of their pickup to get away from him. The cops were called and I really hate that I was at work when that happened because I would have given those cops a piece of my mind. The owners KNEW they had a hole in their fence and decided not to do SQUAT and now this happens. It makes me sick to think about what if my mom had just taken the dogs out for a walk? Anyway, they got tickets for dogs at large and that was it. I haven't seen the dogs outside for the past couple of months so I'm really hoping they got rid of them.
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 1:01pm PST 
Guest, I understand that sentiment, and honestly I was so pissed off upon initially hearing the news that I felt the same way. I was LIVID. But after that initial shock and cooling down a bit, I realized that it really isn’t the dogs’ faults. They are DOGS- and dogs that clearly were not raised around cats. Dogs with a breed tendency to burrow out and kill small animals. They can’t help those things, and the dogs didn’t understand that they were killing someone’s pet that was loved, they were just being dogs. I entirely blame the owner for the entire incident- she knew her fence needed repair and continually neglected to fix the fence in a way to where her dogs wouldn’t get out. Key word: CONTINUALLY. Like I said, I could even understand a one time freak accident, but when it happens over and over and over again? REALLY irresponsible. Yeah, the dogs had never hurt anything (that we know of), but even the risk of them getting hit by a car or lost should be motivation enough for her to make sure the backyard is a safe, secure area for them. The whole incident would have been preventable if she just would have taken the time to secure her property and possibly to supervise her dogs while they are outside. And I agree with Angel- having any of those dogs euthanized still would not bring Grey Kitty back, and it might piss off the neighbor to the point of retaliating towards my parent’s two dogs. You can never predict how people will react frown

Honestly, I hope that she gets some sort of fine and some regulations slapped on her to make sure that this sort of thing doesn’t happen again. We just have to wait and see what animal control decides about the two dogs that they are monitoring currently… I really do hope that they label at least those two instigator dogs as vicious and make her handle them accordingly. If she wants to keep those dogs she needs to be responsible for them and prevent things like this from occurring in the future.

Lilith, TBH I am a “dog person” and not a “cat person” myself—though I have loved a couple in my lifetime. A cat is not an animal I would deliberately go look for as a pet like I would a dog—Grey Kitty was just a sad, homeless little cat who looked like he needed some food and TLC. He kind of found us in a way, and we fed him/got him medical care/let him live around our house and yard in his igloo home for the seven years he was with us (he never came inside- other than the garage in the winter or in the rain- because my dad was/is allergic to cats so having cat hair on all the furniture would have been pretty bad for him). I loved the little guy but my mom was far more attached to him than I was- She’s having a REALLY rough time with all of this frown I am still extremely upset that he had to go in such an awful manner and do wish I could have given him one last petting or at least seen him one more time. If something like this ever happened to my Kip or Oogie, I don’t know what I would do- I am so attached to my little dog-children. I am pretty over-protective and hyper-vigilant with them though, so the chances of anything like that ever happening are extraordinarily low thankfully. I don't even let them go into enclosed fenced yards without me being present!

Nicky, what a frustrating situation frown Where I live now, things like that aren’t as much of an issue, but in my hometown there were certain neighborhoods where that kind of thing happened ALL. OF. THE. TIME. It’s so frustrating. I just don’t understand how someone who “loves and cares” about their pets could possibly let things like that happen, ESPECIALLY repeatedly!!! This brings to mind the differences in how people view their pets- those who see them as disposable, replaceable property vs those who cherish the uniqueness of their individual pet(s) and see them as an irreplaceable member of the family.

Anyway thanks again for the responses and condolences, everyone. As I said before it is much appreciated. hug
[notify]
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 8:15pm PST 
It isn't just dogs being allowed to get loose and roam that's irresponsible...it's cats, too. Now, this doesn't apply to OP's cat, obviously, because the cat was in its own yard, but rather to free roaming outdoor cats.

A few years ago, there was a Husky named Tekiah who came to the doggy day care where I work. Absolute sweetheart, very mellow for a Husky...he used to give me "hugs" by wrapping his front legs around my waist and nuzzling his head against me. I adored that dog.

One day, while Tekiah was in his own (securely fenced) yard, a neighbor's cat wandered in. I'm sure you can see where this is going. Tekiah killed the cat. It was a very unfortunate incident, but Tekiah was simply being true to his nature. Huskies in particular have notoriously high prey drive, although it should also be noted that he was completely fine with small dogs. And again, Tekiah was securely contained in his OWN yard when the incident happened.

Well, the neighbor that owned the cat went ballistic. He started harassing Tekiah's owner and threatening to kill Tekiah, calling him vicious and dangerous. The situation escalated until Tekiah's owner had to call the police on the guy. Tekiah ended up being quarantined for ten days, and then his owner had to rehome him just to keep him safe. I never saw him again.

...And this entire situation would have been avoided if people would just take a little responsibility! Knowingly allowing your pets to roam, either by escaping or just letting them out unsupervised, is asking for trouble. Heck, I almost hit a pit bull that was standing in the middle of the street a few months ago, because it had gotten out of my neighbor's yard and they didn't bother to do anything about it!

OP, I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, and I hope your idiot neighbor gets what's coming to her. frown
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3