GO!

breeding mutts

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 5:41pm PST 
Is it like PETA if I think mutts should never be bred, for any reason, no matter if the lineage of both parents can be traced back with no genetic illness in the last 5 generations (just saying for an example)

Do you think mutts should be bred if it's for health? There couldn't be any breed standards.

I'm wondering... I never thought mutts should be bred but if they are for health reasons, then I don't really know what my reason for against breeding mutts would be.thinking

I asked this in legal since it's like ethics I guess and I didn't know where else to ask.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 6:08pm PST 
How could you go back 5 generations with mutts? Bunny' breed DNA shows a breed mix of 5 different breeds. I can imagine tracing that back 5 generations would be quite the undertakingthinking
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 6:21pm PST 
I wouldn't necessarily say it's "like PETA" as from what I know, PETA does not so much as accept the idea of OWNING pets, let alone breeding them.

My only issue with breeding mutts is that the shelters are currently overrun with them (although that can be said about purebreds as well).

On top of that, with the "designer" craze, there are many false claims of how the pups will turn out - many of which do not hold true. Mixes do not have entirely predictable traits, you cannot guarantee that the pup will turn out one way or another.

I'm not saying "mutts are bad", I wouldn't own one if I thought that way.
As a typical rule of thumb, I do not endorse breeding (of mutts or purebreds) unless it is done responsibly. Which would entail that the offspring do not end up in the shelter systems.
[notify]

Beauregard

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 6:24pm PST 
I think as long as a breeder did all the necessary health test and followed good breeding practices it shouldn't matter if a dog is a mixed breed or a purebred. I don't know why there has to be breed standards. There is no such thing has breed standards in people so why should there be breed standards in dogs, that is just my opinion. I would think that the health and the temperament of the dog would be more important than the way the dog looks.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 7:12pm PST 
World needs more healthy, solid, puppies of good temperaments, not less.

That said, it is immensely easier to accomplish that with purebred dogs - you have more control and more consistency. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to having two "mutts" bred if their lineage and genetic history could be traced, and they were both healthy, though.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 8:26pm PST 
Going to the extreme, I would be deeply saddened if all we had were purebreeds. No joke.

But since that isn't realistic, I don't fret over it. I personally don't see a reason to breed mutts in this world. I'm kind of confused as to how one would truly be able to trace lineage in a mutt. If they could, I doubt the breeding was of sound practice...so then you still have a mystery mutt...just mysterious in reasons for breeding.

But it does make you wonder...if, somehow, someone was able to trace health and lineage in all sorts of mutts and safely breed and monitor all lines to create more healthy mutts...I would really kind of like that. In a world of no homeless pets/mutts though. I can get my mutt desire fulfilled just fine right now. There's no "need" for a breeder of that sort now.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 9:05am PST 
I was just wondering were the first pet dogs purebreds or mutts. If they were mutts did they have all the same health problems that dogs today have or did health problems in dogs start with purebreds. Maybe it is more important to find home for all the homeless dogs that already exist rather than worry about breeding purebed or mixed bred dogs. If all the homeless dogs had homes it would be alright to breed Mixed breed dogs as along as there were homes for them.

(Adam hope to hear from you soon)

Edited by author Sat Dec 10, '11 9:11am PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 1:26pm PST 
"I was just wondering were the first pet dogs purebreds or mutts. If they were mutts did they have all the same health problems that dogs today have or did health problems in dogs start with purebreds"

Purebred dogs are a recent phenomenon. Almost all of our modern breeds date to the late 19th century, while people have lived with dogs as servants and companions for literally THOUSANDS of years. Before the modern era, individuals bred their dogs to suit the job they were doing, some people kept track of pedigrees, some didn't. The idea of a closed stud book and breed "purity" didn't exist. That idea is tied to to the philosophy of eugenics, which also was immensely popular in the late 19th- early 20th century period.

Dogs have always had health problems. Problems related to parasites, poor diet, and neglect were probably a lot MORE common in the distant past than today. The issue with purebreds is the prevalence of diseases caused by recessive genes. These "bad" genes probably existed for a long, long time without causing much harm, because carriers of the gene were unlikely to mate with each other. But when "pure" breeds were created and refined, a lot of close relatives were bred together, which increased the chance that any particular gene would be homozygous.

I am with Sanka that it would be a sad, sad world if all the dogs were only purebreds. Why should we be stuck with only the dogs that Victorian Europe chose to promote (because that is what most breeds are.) No new breeds? No purpose-bred mixes? Once you get outside the mainstream purebred dog fancy, there are many strains of mixed and hybrid dogs, doing jobs, bred for a purpose. Those breeders and owners would fight tooth and claw if creating mixed-breed dogs were somehow outlawed.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 1:56pm PST 
@Bruno, Thanks for answering my question. I found your information very interesting.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 3:54pm PST 
I agree that a world without mutts would be a sad world indeed. My solace is in the 70 percent rule. That means that if 70 percent of people spayed/neutered their dogs, then 30 percent wouldn't. Hopefully those percentages would be enough for us mutt lovers to have our beloved mutts, but not too much that there wouldn't be homes for all of themsmile I still don't get how you could health test them thoughthinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4