GO!

What do you think of this breed ban? (9 breeds total)

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Red

Just a big baby- ;)

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 11:44am PST 
Samson when we contacted the shelter before posting this they didn't deny anything that was in the first post.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 2:32pm PST 
OHHHH No! We have an English Staffordshire Terrior, my passed on to a happy field in heaven doggy, Binky had a spotted toungue, and Yoda in heaven with her was a shepard breed. My Minature weinie dog Oscar is the only one who has ever gone after a human, he did not bite he more like nipped, no injury and it was a toe. I am extremely upset by this, Binky was such a loving kind dog, I miss her so much to this day. Been one year since cancer took her away from me. All the above dogs but Oscar were rescue dogs. What can we do? I think I am gonna cry.
[notify]
Winn

Baby polar bears- aren't even this- cute!

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 4:07am PST 
Since these lists ALWAYS include my favorite breeds I am so glad that I live where I do. The only issue with BSL that we have run into so far is that our insurance co. was not a big fan of our Chow Chow mix, they didn't even care about the Sibe as much. We had to explain to them that Chow Chow was only a guess and that there are other dogs with blue spotted tounges.
Now with Winn, we may have to get creative, I plan to register her with the town as a Husky Mix since we really aren't 100% sure what she is. I don't like lying, but she might be a mix for all I know and I'm pretty sure that "Akita" is going to set off a red flag with our homeowners insurance. There are about 5 different breeds listed on her vet paperwork, including Husky, Akita, Samoyed, Pyrenees, and Malamute so I'm not really stretching it very far to call her an unknown mix.
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 4:39pm PST 
"We had to explain to them that Chow Chow was only a guess and that there are other dogs with blue spotted tounges."

My trainer had to send in a huge packet of information about her Malinois. Basically printing off the AKC website to send in to hers because they "never heard of it" before. *rolls eyes*.

Insurance Companies: If you're going to be difficult at least know what you're talking about.

Edited by author Mon Dec 5, '11 4:39pm PST

[notify]
Cricket

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 7:15pm PST 
I live only an hour away from where this is happening and it's creating quite a stir in our community. I was extremely angered when I first heard about this, especially as a lover (and owner) of bully breeds. There are a lot of people now fighting against this and hopefully it will be enough to put a stop to it.

I have read a lot of different things on the subject and hearing a lot of different stories so I dug up some information earlier today. I don't have all the links where I found the info (I was on a different computer). From what I have read earlier, Cumberland Co. Animal Control is claiming they are receiving hundreds of calls a day reporting animal attacks and bites, and approximately 80% of those are pit bulls. Someone on a facebook page did the math and it would mean that there is one pit bull loose in approx. every 4 sq. miles of the county. Highly unlikely.

Just like all of the shelters in this country this one is overcrowded and is struggling to care for all these dogs (and cats and livestock). When I looked up their available list of dogs today there were quite a few in there that were on the proposed ban list. I am not certain, but I think a local German Sheppard rescue pulled some out of there today. There were definitely fewer listed between the first and second time I checked.

The community meeting to discuss this proposal was a few hours ago. I am keeping an eye on things, but have not yet heard how it went.

Edited by author Mon Dec 5, '11 7:18pm PST

[notify]
Cricket

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 7:28pm PST 
Good News!! It was just posted that the proposal was overturned!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 11:27pm PST 
cheercheercheercheercheercheer Glad to hear that.applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause

The common sense fairy must have shown up andnaughty them until they changed their minds.
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 9:24am PST 
So glad that this got overturned!applauseapplauseapplauseapplause
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 2:58pm PST 
applauseapplause

So glad it was overturned!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 6:56am PST 
Hello from Scotland!

I have owned Great Danes for over 30 years and to say I am shocked that Great Danes have been added to the 'dangerous dogs' list is an understatement. Surely those councillors are not allowed just to add breeds to the list without good cause?

What on earth are Daneys going to do? Lick you to death? You've got our support to have Great Danes taken off the list - Great Dane owners in the UK have been signing your petition.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2