GO!

Interesting question

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Steel

Professional- sock burglar

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 7:27pm PST 
Steel and I were at the dogpark today, and there was a woman there with her dog. I can't remember the breed, but a very spunky, energetic, and enthusiastic dog. The lady had decent command of her dog, so there were no issues.

Then a lady came with her dog and her kid. The kid was probably 5, maybe 6. As they were inside the first gate, and about to come in the second, the lady who was there already told her "my dog will jump on your baby, there". In such a way that was saying "you should just leave" without saying it. So the lady let her dog in the park, but stood outside the gate with her child, and left shortly after.

There is a sign on the gate that says children are allowed but must be supervised.

In this situation, who do you think is the one who should leave? The lady with the kid and the dog who was behaving perfectly fine, or the lady with the dog who she knows will jump on a child in the park. I just thought it was rude how she pretty much told the lady that she shouldn't be there because of her own dog. Anytime that my dog misbehaves, I leave, no matter the circumstances. When someone else has a dog who is misbehaving or causing a problem, I think that that person should take his/her dog and leave, if they were there first or not.

Thoughts?thinking
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 8:15pm PST 
I don't think anyone should have to leave the park per say. I think the woman with the jumper should have called her dog to allow the mother and child to enter safely if they wanted to enter. But for safety reasons I think the mom was smart to keep her kid outside and to leave with her kid. I personally don't like young kids in the dog park. I think its an accident waiting to happen. I've seen well behaved kids sitting next to their parents get knocked over by dogs jumping over the "bench" at the dog park we usually go to. One poor kid landed on his head! (Our bench is a large log.)

Edited by author Mon Nov 28, '11 8:18pm PST

[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 8:17pm PST 
Technically, if the dog park allows kids, the woman with the misbehaving dog should leave.

However, in the real wold people who follow the rules suffer a the hands of those folks who ignore rules.

So, for the safety of her child here in the real world it was good the mom left.
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 8:31pm PST 
For me.. the mom and kid should leave. Because dog parks are for dogs, and there are a lot of other kid parks to take your kid to, too.

Also, 'must supervise' also doesn't mean that dogs 'can't' jump on your kid or that they are not allowed to...
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 9:18pm PST 
I'm sorry, I'm inclined to agree that the mother and child shouldn't be there, for the safety of that child. I'm okay with babies kept in strollers and even much older children. But little kids or toddlers in a dog park is a huge accident waiting to happen and I've seen far too many issues rise from kids in dog parks.

Dog forbid a child-fearing dog is at the dog park and a child comes in with their parents - what do you think is likely to happen? Or the child smells like food - which is often while dogs are all over them? Or they start harassing strange dogs? It's way too risky. I would NEVER EVER take my child to a dog park. Ever.

There are parks I can go to where there will be dogs ON LEASH, and other children to walk around or play with.

I have seen a dog go after a young toddler at the dog park before. Why? The dog was fearful of children and this scary thing was not going away. The parents thought it was funny that the dog was barking and charging at their baby. The owner kept trying to call the dog off. The owner retrieved their dog. But if it had escalated, that likely would have been a bitten baby.

Not every dog is raised with kids, tolerates them, or even likes them.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 1:03pm PST 
I absolutely do not believe children should be allowed in dog parks, for reasons mentioned.

But... Since this dog park does allow children... Technically people should only be bringing in dogs who are ok with children. In the grand scheme of things, the owners of dogs who are too rambunctious/fearful around children should be working hard to make sure their dogs behave appropriately when children are around - even if it means teaching the dog to recall, refocus and leave without causing a scene.

I do believe the mother of the child acted appropriately, though, given the circumstances.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 1:23pm PST 
Well...I think of it this way. Since kids are allowed in the park, think of the kid as an adult. We're all humans. We can all get hurt by jumping dogs.

If your dog constantly jumped on the people in the park, does that mean everybody else should leave because "it's for dogs"? Or that they should deal with your dog jumping on them because again, it's for dogs?

What about if your dog harasses their dog. Is it their fault because...well, your dog is being a dog?

There's a line between being a dog and being ill-behaved. Go to a dog park and expect to get jumped on a few times....but constantly? No sir, that is a negligent dog owner right there.

What she should have said was something more along the lines of "my dog is a jumper" and tried to work out a compromise.

I don't like anybody feeling the need to have to leave. It's not an all or nothing thing. Talk with each other and work things out. Not all dogs in a dog park are perfect little angels, nor do they need to be. Some people get too caught up in that. But you also have to be mindful of others and recognize when you're dog is going too far.
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 4:09pm PST 
Good question!
I think it was good of the jumping dog's person to warn the mother of her dog's behavior prior to entering the play area. It sounds like the mother may have watched for a bit to determine if her child would be at risk or not.
In my opinion, if the mother, child and their dog were there to play it would have been considerate of the jumping dogs person to allow them some time in the play area so they could enjoy themselves. Guess I just think the jumping dogs person could have made some concessions since their dog has the poor manners.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 4:13pm PST 
I agree, young kids should not be allowed at the dog park. Heck, I'm 23 and my father is weary to even let me hang out at dog parks because I'm blind and I can't get out of the way if the dogs jump and trample over me.
[notify]
Steel

Professional- sock burglar

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 6:45pm PST 
Mr. Pibbs-
That is a big thing about what bothered me. The fact that this lady didn't say "just so you know, my dog is a jumper". Instead, she said something that in my mind, gave the woman no choice but to leave. I never saw the dog jump on anyone else, either. I understand that some dogs just don't like children, but it begs the question: if she takes her dog out to public places (for walks or to the beach) where there are children, what does she do then? I live in Southern California, so we have off leash dog beaches here. There are families who have children, who bring their dogs. Does she tell every family who goes there "my dog will jump on your baby, there" and expect them to leave?

I would not want to take my kid to a dog park either, but maybe she's a single mom. Maybe that is the only time out of the day when she can get to the dog park. Maybe she doesn't have a choice but to take her child with her. At least she takes the time to bring her dog there, instead of just shoving him/her out in the backyard alone. I don't think it's fair to say that children should not be allowed at the dog park.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2