GO!

Bristol, CT wants to ban Pitbulls!!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 9:14am PST 
City of Bristol CT wants to pass an ordinance in Bristol to ban Pit Bulls. If you live in Bristol, please consider attending the Town Ordinance Meeting on November 16, 2011 from 4:30-5:30 at City Hall Meeting Room 1

We all know that banning the breed isn't the answer! Please show your support if you live in Bristol.

Please send your POLITE, RESPECTFUL and INFORMATIVE letters in opposition to breed specific legislation to the Bristol city officials. Include with your letters viable alternatives and suggestions to help the city craft a breed-neutral ordinance.

MAYOR: ARTHUR J.WARD

Bristol City Hall
111 North Main Street
Bristol, CT 06010
Tel (860) 584-6100

City Council Members
CLIFFORD BLOCK – DIST.1 (D)
KENNETH COCKAYNE – DIST. 2 (R)
KEVIN FULLER – DIST. 1(D)
TERRY PARKER – DIST. 3 (D)
KEVIN C. MCCAULEY – DIST. 2 (D)
DAVID MILLS – DIST. 3 (R)

Mayor & Council block e-mail:
artward@ci.bristol.ct.us, kevinmcCauley@ci.bristol.ct.us, cliffordblock@ci.bristol.ct.us, kencockayne@ci.bristol.ct.us,
kevinfuller@ci.bristol.ct.us, davemills@ci.bristol.ct.us, mayorsoffice@ci.bristol.ct.us

http://www.bristolpress.com/artic les/2011/10/27/news/doc4ea99bf260316248165627.txt

http://blessthe bullys.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/bsl-alert-bristol-connecticut/

Edited by author Sun Nov 6, '11 9:57am PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 7:16pm PST 
I don't live in CT. But don't understand banning breeds at all. I would much rather they consider a ban on irresponsible idiots owning pets or having children. That's a ban that would serve society much better in my opinion.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 7:25pm PST 
I completely agree, Mika&Kai. I don't live in Bristol, but I do live in CT and this just saddens me. There is a dog park in Bristol and one of Scruffy's best friends is a Lab/Pit mix and she is a total doll. I hope that we can fight this and stop the breed ban!
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 7:48pm PST 
Scruffy,
It is sad. I won't say that there are never bad dogs,I'm sure there are.The thing that's never considered is it's not the dogs fault.
It's the fault of people who breed dogs just for money,don't consider at all that just because the dog has the appropriate parts doesn't mean breeding is a good idea. The people who intentionally breed to make the dogs meaner or more agressive. People who get dogs with no research into what it really takes to meet their needs,socialize and train them properly. I have my Akitas, they can be difficult,need tons and tons of socialization,proper training from day one, and an owner who knows the difference between being firm and abusive and can be firm when necessary. It takes alot of hard work and dedication to raise them properly and I got them knowing and being prepared to do it right.To do less than that wouldn't be fair to them and any issues they had would have been my fault and my mistake and they don't deserve to suffer for what I did wrong. But it happens all the time with so many breeds. When will people wake up and start blaming those really at fault,the people who got them for the wrong reasons,raised them wrong or just didn't care.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 8:23pm PST 
applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause

Sad but true.... and personally, I think they should do something for the irresponsible owners and specific individual dogs that may be causing issues in the community rather than banning certain breeds all together.

Edited by author Sun Nov 6, '11 8:26pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 8:39pm PST 
I agree,rather than blame the breed and the people who actually do what is necessary and take their responsibility seriously why not cite and fine the people who aren't either increasing the penalties until they get a clue or if that fails removing and only if absolutely necessary euthanizing the dog. One bad dog in the hands of someone who has no business owning a dog let alone a breed that requires someone who knows what they're doing should be allowed to take away the rights of a breed to exist or the rights of responsible people to own them.
BTW/ I personally have never met a pittie that wasn't a sweetheart.I would consider owning one but due to limitations from a car accident just don't have the energy to properly exercise one and most I've met need lots of exercise to get rid of all that energy.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 8:23am PST 
Every Pit Bull I've ever met was a total sweetheart too. I would love to adopt a Pit Bull but I couldn't deal with all that energy either. Maybe if I found a lazy pup or a senoir dog. Haha.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 12:34pm PST 
UPDATE: the BSL meeting for Wednesday has been cancelled, please follow up with the town of Bristol to see if and when it will be reschedualed.

Edited by author Mon Nov 14, '11 12:37pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Nov 21, '11 6:59am PST 
Scruffy,
Hopefully the city of Bristol will get enough backlash from pittie owners and their supporters that they will back off and the rescheduled meeting will never be.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Nov 21, '11 10:55am PST 
UPDATE: There are a couple town meetings coming up in December, but BLS may or may not be discussed.

Edited by author Mon Nov 21, '11 11:04am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2