GO!

How to educate about Pitties?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Mandi

Many hands make- the load- lighter.

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 7:43pm PST 
So I have a friend who is dead set on the idea that pittbulls are unpredictable and *will* snap, turn on, and kill people in their vicinity. Her other comment was that she won't trust a dog "that doesn't wag it's tail." I tried to give her accounts of my wonderful PERSONAL experiences owning and training pitts, but that didn't seem to help. She quoted CDC fatal dog bite statistics by breed and, since pitts are at the top of the list, used that as validation that she's correct. I explained that their research methods were flawed (they collected the information from media sources, who go bonkers with anything involving pitts and are quite about a lot of other stuff), and also had no way to verify the breed of the dog. The CDC themselves said:

"A CDC study on fatal dog bites lists the breeds involved in fatal attacks over 20 years (Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998). It does not identify specific breeds that are most likely to bite or kill, and thus is not appropriate for policy-making decisions related to the topic."

There's also a LOT of other factors that influence this that has NOTHING to do with the breed of dog, but rather the conditions the dog is raised in. Any dog, if they are raised abusively and not socialized, has much higher chances to be reactive/aggressive. And, unfortunately, I know lots of pitts that have come from just that type of situation. frown

Anyway! I love pitts. And I love to educate people about them. It just doesn't seem like I'm going about it the right way. Does anyone have other information that can be given out, or tips on how to enlighten people?
[notify]
Daisy

Nomz?

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 8:53pm PST 
I have a few websites I can recommend to you. These are good places to start:

www.Badrap.org
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/
www.pit bulls.org
www.pbrc.net

Here is a link to a great blog called KC Dog Blog. I am linking you to a blog post about why BSL does not work.
http://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogblog/2010/10/new-javma-stud y-on-the-limitations-of-breed-specific-legislation.html

If you look around on the blog, you can find other posts about the subject, as well as posts about how fatal/serious dog attacks are really extremely rare, and about how the media misrepresents the breed; many dogs who were called "pit bulls" in news reports actually turned out to be American Bulldogs, Boxers, sometimes even Cane Coros/Presa Canario/various mastiff mixes. Any dog with a short coat, big head and vaguely muscular body runs the risk of being misidentified as a "pit bull". Heck, even my friend's dog was thought to be a pit bull, and he's a border collie mix! He looks nothing like an American Pit Bull Terrier.

I hope my reply helps you in your endeavor to educate your friend. smile
[notify]
Valentine

I has a happy.- It is for you.

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 9:14pm PST 
Here are a couple more websites...

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/

http://s topbsl.com/

*remove any random spaces

Edited by author Thu Aug 18, '11 9:16pm PST

[notify]

Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 12:43pm PST 
We just got Grunt, after losing Turner (Pit/Boxer). When we sent out our announcements everyone responded back that they were happy we adopted "another fantastic pitbull".

Sometime ignorance is bliss, if your friend isn't open to learn about the breed I would have people over with pibbles. I have a friend whose mother thinks they are vicious dogs and eat babies. naughty Well my friend (her daughter) had 3 pibbles over that day for a playday in her yard. By the end of the day the mother was convinced that she was totally wrong... flowers
[notify]