GO!

What are bait dogs exactly? And has anyone heard of the bait dog myth?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 3:45pm PST 
With the recent story about the toothless stray "Cowboy" on dogster, he appeared by his wounds and toothlessness to have been a bait dog.

That got me curious to look up more about bait dogs, pets stolen for bait, etc. There were descriptions of "bait" dogs either being used for young fighting dogs to be tested on, or any kind of bait (dog, cat, other animal) thrown in between two fighting dogs to rile up their prey drive and encourage redirected aggression to each other . . .

But I was shocked to find some forums discussing a "bait dog myth" that is some believe dogs used as bait is either not very common or didn't use to be until the concept was publicly hyped by animal welfare orgs. and then young dog fighters were inspired to take up the idea.

They seemed to be implying that old school training of fighting dogs didn't involve such a thing (or barely did) ---almost without saying it, insinuating there was a better, more honorable time in dog fighting . . .shrug

But that animal welfare orgs. are purposely declaring every injured stray that looks bully-ish as a likely bait dog because they know it increases donations . . .

I don't know what to think! Are these apologists for dog fighting? Or cynical conspiracy theorists with an axe to grind against welfare groups?

WTH?

At any rate, does anyone know a good resource to find factual info about this--I would think to know the reality someone would have had to either once been involved in fighting or been involved in busting dog fighting or undercover somehow . . .
[notify]
Alex

I can see right- through you

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 4:13pm PST 
I can't answer your questions, since I know next to nothing about dog fighting(all I know is that it is evil).

But, what I think about bait dogs, is that it is rare to find any survivors. Usually the survivors are the ones that are found before they are sacrificed/murdered. It depends on the bait animals size whether or not it will survive just one encounter with an aggressive fight dog. Now, if the low-lifes throw bait animals into the pit with an unwilling fight dog, that animal just might survive to be used again and again until the dog finally kills it.

So, in one way, I think that some shelters/rescues do say a dog is a bait dog survivor just for the pity to get the dog adopted quicker than to say it was a fighting dog that may need special handling/treatment. Shelters/rescues need to be as accurate as possible when labling these dogs. Either way, ex-fighting dogs and ex-bait dogs both need special handling/treatment, but it is vital that the rescuer/adopter know exactly what kind of treatment it needs.

Edit to add: I do not think it is or was ever a myth, I believe it to be a fact.

Edited by author Mon Jul 18, '11 4:15pm PST

[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 4:25pm PST 
Gus, when I lived in FL there was a real problem with fighters in my area. There were loads of back yard breeders and they would steal dogs, all kinds of dogs and cats to use as bait dogs. One pair of doberman dogs was stolen. One dog, the female was found wandering around some wooded area with duck tape on its snout and all of it's teeth filed down.

What they do is make the bait dog defenseless to the fight dog. Thus giving confidence to the fight dog. It's horrible what they do. The cats and smaller dogs are sometimes hung from a tree and shredded by the fight dog - this encourages the prey drive in the fight dog. It's a horrible sport and I was involved with many cruelty cases when I lived there. It's a horrible thing, dog fighting, I wish it would stop but unfortunately it is still pretty prevolent in some areas...
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 8:56pm PST 
Thanks for responding guys. I know I could probably not stomach the reality of what happens to these poor animals . . .

Ugh, Turner, that poor dobie! Did she get reunited with her owner?

I am dumbfounded as to why anyone would try to argue the use of bait dogs or other animals as being a myth. I would think once something that is based in violence and cruelty to begin with, such as dog fighting, operates in an illicit, underground atmosphere--anything would go and nothing would be a surprise. As if there were some code of honor in an animal blood sport? I doubt it.

My gut tells me the inhumanity is all too true. I was just wondering what anyone else knew . . .
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 8:57pm PST 
oops

Edited by author Mon Jul 18, '11 9:01pm PST

[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 8:57pm PST 
oops

Edited by author Mon Jul 18, '11 9:01pm PST

[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 8:58pm PST 
oops

Edited by author Mon Jul 18, '11 9:00pm PST

[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 8:58pm PST 
dbl post

Edited by author Mon Jul 18, '11 9:00pm PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Jul 19, '11 6:35am PST 
I can't really answer the question, because (thank goodness) I have no association with anyone who is involved in dog fighting.

But I do THINK that there is a practice to use bait dogs to initiate fighters into blood combat.

I believe that once I saw the plan forming in the minds of a few young gents I came across with my dog Savvy.

Savvy is a big gentle dummy, but she is huge. Once I had her in the park off leash and she got a little ahead of me. I was behind a screen of trees, but could see several young men with a pit type dog on a chain. They were closely studying Savannah in a way that made me uncomfortable. As soon as I cleared the trees so I could glare at them, they started and broke up and walked away.

I don't know, but I KNOW that they were considering testing their dog by seeing if my giant marshmallow had any fight in her.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Jul 19, '11 6:44am PST 
I tend to think there is probably a bit of truth in both statements, but it's kind of like the chicken and the egg argument.

I would also believe that some humane societies would push a dog being a bait dog or abused. Seriously...if I had a dollar for everyone who thought their rescue dog must have been horribly abused because it appeared somewhat hand shy...

Plus, I know for a fact some rescue list a puppy or kitten as older than it really is so that they can go ahead and adopt it out while it's smaller and cuter.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5