GO!

Obama & BSL?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 7:37pm PST 
*erases post*

It was a rumor. Please note that he voted AGAINST it. So, please, stop bumping this thread. wink

Edited by author Wed Oct 1, '08 11:14pm PST

[notify]
Jasmine Lula CGC, TDI

Too Human To Be- A Dog

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 7:46pm PST 
Found this article:

http://www.stop-bsl.com/updates.html
"Dog owner advocacy groups fought hard in all three contests and had clear majority support, but animal rights groups such as People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the Humane Society of the United States cashed in political chips with elected officials.

Wednesday's votes also highlighted what is rapidly becoming a partisan division on animal rights legislation. In general, almost all Republicans voted against the legislation, and almost all Democrats voted for the bills. The Democratic Party appears to be lining up behind the animal rights agenda in support of its presumptive presidential candidate, Barrack Obama. Obama has expressed strong support for animal rights."

So he is voting for bills that are taking away dog ownership rights. NOT GOOD!!!
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 7:49pm PST 
Thank you!!!

That isn't good. silenced

And, sadly, I know a lot of pittie advocates that are for him. I guess spread the word?

Thanks again! Someone on the forum asked for a link and now I have it.
[notify]

Nadiya KC- Dog- Advocates

Member of KC Dog- Advocates.

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 7:56pm PST 
Check this link out: I didn't see antything on BSL, but I don't think BSL is high on Senators lists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bills_sponsored_by_Ba rack_Obama_in_the_United_States_Senate
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 7:59pm PST 
Thank you.

I don't think it would be, either. Then again, I don't know much about politics. red face
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 8:17pm PST 
The American Sporting Dog Alliance, founder John Yates, this one Bill 2525 is for the puppymills, they tend to leave that out. John Yates breeds hunting dogs, by the hundreds each year, which in alot of animal advocates eyes is what is called a Puppy mill. Here's what The American Sporting Dog Alliance says:

HB 2525 regulates a million dog owners and owners of 2,700 licensed kennels in the state. It passed the House Agriculture Committee by a 17-12 vote Wednesday. All but one Republican (Rep. K. Boback) voted against the bill, and all Democrats (the majority party) voted in favor of it.

It appears that the final bill reflects some of the promises made to dog ownership advocacy groups during the past several months of negotiations, but that the Democrats have reneged on other promises.

Some dog owners groups have withdrawn their opposition to this legislation, but the American Sporting Dog Alliance continues to oppose it in its present form. While we support changes that affect commercial breeders, these represent only a small part of HB 2525. The rest of the bill has serious impacts on all dog and kennel owners. The text of several amendments has not been published thus far We will issue a full report on this legislation in the next couple of day

This is called the Puppy mill bill.
“Passage of HB 2525 is vital if Pennsylvania is to improve conditions for dogs kept in commercial kennels and put an end to the state’s reputation as the “Puppy Mill Capital of the East.”

If you would like to read the bill heres the link. So I don't take much of a stand with John Yates.

http://go.philly.com/bill2525.

Not that I'm that crazy over Obama myself but I like to see what he has voted on in fact not by what someone blogs.

Edited by author Sat Aug 23, '08 8:19pm PST

[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 8:21pm PST 
Personally, I'm not a fan of him anyway. I mean, the fact that he up and decided to get a dog for the family if he wins is enough to scare me away. (lots of dog lovers like this; I did at first until I actually THOUGHT about it; what if he loses? will they still get a dog? and it seems like an impulse to me but, hey, that's on another thread somewhere)

Not remotely what the Obamas have said.

They said that they had decided to get a dog in about a year, because by that time the election will be over, and either they'll be settled in the White House, OR Obama will have lost, and be settled back into the Senate for at least another couple of years. They feel the girls will both be old enough to learn how to behave with a dog, and they'll have the stability in their lives to give a puppy the consistency it needs.

In other words, they have thought about it--a lot.

Jasmine said:
http://www.stop-bsl.com/updates.html
"Dog owner advocacy groups fought hard in all three contests and had clear majority support, but animal rights groups such as People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the Humane Society of the United States cashed in political chips with elected officials.

That page is more of the extremely slanted hysteria John Yates regularly posts here as "Guest." It mentions Obama with the claim that he "has expressed strong support for animal rights" but provides exactly zero details--nothing to support that statement at all. It's just a bare assertion.

All the legislation listed on that page is local or state legislation; none of it is federal. Obama is a US Senator; he only votes on federal legislation.

Yates is a commercial breeder. He portrays himself as "hobby breeder" but eight litters in a single year is not hobby breeding. He wants to confuse the distinction, and convince people that, in order to defende responsible hobby breeders, they have to defend puppy millers.

And he identifies as "animal rights" legislation pretty much any animal welfare legislation at all.

Unless somebody comes up with something specific, something Obama said, or some legislation that he actually either sponsored or voted for, I say this is just more John Yates nonsense, stoking the rumor mill.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 8:23pm PST 
Thank you Addy, you said it perfectly.applause
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 8:30pm PST 
I didn't know that. Anywhere I'd heard about their possible dog, I heard that it was if (and only if) he won the election. I guess I was mistaken?

Anyway, thanks, Addy! I think I understood most of that.

And, I know who John Yates is. I've seen some of his posts. wink
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 8:33pm PST 
Hey Lilo, if you get bored tonight read the Bill it will put you to sleep.big laugh

It's nice and long!

Oh heck, here's the Cliff Notes.

Pass House bill; end puppy mills

Cori Menkin

is senior director of legislative initiatives, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

Sarah Speed

is Pennsylvania state director for the Humane Society of the United States

The raid of a Chester County kennel and the transfer of more than 30 dogs brings to light another appalling example of animal abuse. Let's hope that these events serve as the last straw for Pennsylvania lawmakers. They must pass House Bill 2525 and give the state the meaningful dog law it so desperately needs.

Certainly an investigation of the state dog wardens involved in this case is warranted. But the facts also illuminate the failings of current law. Dogs with missing eyes, terrible skin conditions, abscesses, and even severed ears were discovered at the Limestone Kennel in Cochranville.

None of that was illegal, however; current law does not mandate veterinary care at such a facility.

Moreover, the breeder was in compliance with cage space, flooring and temperature requirements for dogs. This means dogs housed in what are known as "puppy mills" can legally be stacked in small wire cages so high it is impossible for inspectors to see them. They can be caged outdoors in sweltering heat or freezing cold. Kennel owners do not have to provide solid floors, meaning that feces and grime from one cage can fall down onto the dogs below.

Under current law, breeders are not required to let dogs out of their cages - ever. A dog the size of a beagle can be confined to a cage no larger than a dishwasher for her entire life. This is abhorrent and must be stopped.

The conditions at the Limestone Kennel were discovered because these suffering dogs were no longer wanted. Instead of being killed, which is often the case in such circumstances, they were given away to what turned out to be members of Main Line Animal Rescue. These people worked with the Pennsylvania SPCA to bring charges against the owner.

Conditions should not have to get this bad - or anywhere near this bad - before our laws can be invoked on behalf of animals.

House Bill 2525 puts in place standards to require better treatment of dogs in Pennsylvania commercial kennels. The bill would double the minimum floor space for cages and require that all primary enclosures open into an outdoor exercise area. It would also mandate solid floors in cages, prohibit cage stacking, and require that dogs see a veterinarian at least once a year.

This commonsense bill distinguishes between small, home-based breeders and large commercial kennels. This assures no adverse impact on those who raise and breed dogs for hobby, sport or show.

Yes, many breeders care about their dogs, and this proposed legal upgrade would not affect them at all. But others need to be held to humane standards - for the sake of dogs that they use for breeding and for the health of puppies they sell.

We must put an end, once and for all, to the cruelties of puppy mills. They are a black eye for Pennsylvania. Please contact your legislator and urge support for House Bill 2525.

Edited by author Sat Aug 23, '08 8:37pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8