GO!

I Need Advice!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gwenevere - *In Loving- Memory*

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '05 7:10pm PST 
Hi. So here's the deal. My sister met this girl through a friend at an apartment gathering at school. Now this girl was going on and on about how her roommate, who doesn't even ATTEND school here, she just enjoys the nightlife I guess, has this purebred American Bulldog that she is not taking proper care of. She said that the dog is stuck in a crate all the time hunched over because he can barely fit in it at all. He is very sad and frightened. So my sister, who works with animal rescue at home, demanded to see this dog. So she went to this apartment, and sure enough there is a 100+ lb Bulldog hunched over in a crate IN THE CLOSET IN THE DARK! She took the dog out, he's young and NOT trained poor thing, and examined him for sores etc. The dog was NOT emaciated or in poor health as far as she could see. The crate is not dirty, but he does not fit in there at ALL. He has NOT been beaten or anything like that, as far as she knows. This girl allowed her to take him out for a walk-and he is uncontrollable on a leash, he is just so excited to be out, and nobody pays attention to him but the roommate that does not own him. Now this is all the roommate's side of the story, the owner was not present. She was planning on going back to check up on this dog, and speak with the roommate about the animal's care. Since then she has lost contact with this person, but she knows the location of the apartment and could direct a humane officer to this location if she went along.

Now, she knows that abuse is difficult to prove, and she didn't have a camera with her at the time. So my question is, should she call a humane officer, or should she try and find the owner of this animal and speak to her directly first? Remember, she never met this owner, as the owner was out underage drinking. Grrrr....
Would this be considered abuse? Would they even do anything about it??? Please give her some advice here, she's really worried about this doggie. frown

Gwenie

P.S. I personally feel that people should NOT be allowed to own a dog if they are under the age of 21! These poor animals suffer because their "owners" have no idea what responsibility is. I know that there are exceptions, but overall most people this age are not responsible enough to be a caretaker for another living thing. Get financially stable and GROW UP before taking on a responsibility such as this!

Gwenie's Sister
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '05 7:18pm PST 
I do think you should call animal control on this person and explain the situation and what you saw. You could even do it anonymously and say that you suspect animal cruelty, and someone told you about the living conditions. They do have to check out every complaint.

I hope things get resolved. Keep us updated as to what your sister decides.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '05 7:24pm PST 
Personally, I think your sister should call the animal control and let them know the dog's living conditions. She can ask them if they consider it abuse or what. If they do, then they can take care of it, give the owner a talking to or whatever. If they don't consider it cruelty, then could your sister, as a member of a rescue organization, go to the place on behalf of the rescue organization and ask if the person really wants the dog and educate the owner etc? My guess, if the dog is really being kept like that, is that the person may be tired of owning the dog and might be happy to give it to a rescue organization.

Oh, and I was just 21 and hubby was 20 when we got Sabrina. We were 18 or 19 when we got the cats and guinea pigs. I don't think it's the age that makes a person a good owner or not. I'm sure there are lots of 50 year old people out there neglecting animals, too!
[notify]

Sabrina- 2000~2012

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '05 7:26pm PST 
Personally, I think your sister should call the animal control and let them know the dog's living conditions. She can ask them if they consider it abuse or what. If they do, then they can take care of it, give the owner a talking to or whatever. If they don't consider it cruelty, then could your sister, as a member of a rescue organization, go to the place on behalf of the rescue organization and ask if the person really wants the dog and educate the owner etc? My guess, if the dog is really being kept like that, is that the person may be tired of owning the dog and might be happy to give it to a rescue organization.

Oh, and I was just 21 and hubby was 20 when we got Sabrina. We were 18 or 19 when we got the cats and guinea pigs. I don't think it's the age that makes a person a good owner or not. I'm sure there are lots of 50 year old people out there neglecting animals, too!
[notify]

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '05 7:28pm PST 
Thanks for the quick response Keiko! That's what she was thinking about doing. She just wants to be sure that she isn't jumping the gun on this one, she wants the perspectives of other responsible owners such as your mom. Thanks for the reassurance! smile

She's just worried that there won't be change because maybe this isn't severe enough to be considered abuse? She's seen so many animals that were clearly being neglected given back to owners because there are few laws protecting animals to the fullest extent. Animals are considered property. It's so wrong.

Gwenie

Maybe this girl will decide that she cannot handle the animal once talking to the humane officer, and turn him over to be adopted. I would hate to see him go to a kill shelter though, I wish I could take him myself -but I live at a place that doesn't allow pets, and I'm here for another month and a half. frown He is such a sweet boy.

Gwenie's sister
[notify]

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '05 7:42pm PST 
Thanks Sabrina, oh great Dalai Lama of Dogster smile
I think I will contact the officer tomorrow. You see, I work with a rescue at home-not here at school. I volunteered a bit last year with one at school, so if he needs to be placed I will try and contact the lady in charge to see if she has room for him. I was also going to look into a breed rescue in the area if this were to happen.

I know that there are responsible pet owners under the age of 21, I know because I was one of them too. I just see so many people my age, or under(I am currently 23) that are NOT. I just wish that breeders would be more responsible, and "sell" dogs to people that are more prepared to handle this large responsibility. At the rescue that I work with at home, you have to OWN the home or have a landlord's consent to adopt a dog. I just wish that breeders would practice more responsibility, if they love the breed that they work with then they would. I know that there are breeders that do, but I've seen too many cases lately where this is not the case at all. Very sad.

Gwenie's sister
[notify]
SADIE

Watch Weel

Barked: Fri Oct 28, '05 8:13am PST 
Animal Control - 412-255-2036 Pittsburg

If they can't help find out if they are allowed pets where they are currently living.
Good luck......
[notify]
Riley - In Loving- Memory

I love my- kitties!

Barked: Fri Oct 28, '05 5:33pm PST 
my mommy's 18 and she takes wonderful care of me! but she also lives at home still... but even if she didnt, she would still treat me like her child! and to answer your question, i think you should just call, and then the animal control can REALLY scare her and give her a warning. im not really sure though... thats a tough situation. hope the doggy gets taken care of, poor thing!
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 8:11am PST 
Thanks, Gwenie *blush*!

Good luck with it all-- you're definately doing the right thing! I know it's so hard to be in that kind of situation. Let us know how it all works out!
[notify]

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 8:28am PST 
Hey guys - I called the humane officer in this area (thanks for the number, but I attend school outside of the Pittsburgh area. Thanks for going through the trouble to look it up for me though!). I had to leave a message, so I'm waiting for him to call me back. I'm hoping to hear from him today.

I know you guys are wonderful pet owners! I didn't mean to stereotype teenagers by the comment that I made, I apologize. Sometimes people making conclusions based on the immediacy of their information- I too was a responsible pet owner when I was under 21. Animals are a large responsibility, a costly one. Working in a shelter, I see so many animals abandoned because their *owners* could not afford to care for them any longer. It is very sad. Also, I think that the BREEDERS need to practice more responsibility when *selling* dogs to people. But I gotta go to work, this site is TOO addicting, haha. I will keep you updated on the situation.

Gwenie's Sister smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2