GO!

Mew Mexico Dangerous dog act - Good or bad?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Joker

Be true to your- pack

Barked: Tue Oct 25, '05 9:07pm PST 
The New Mexico law SB 432 tries to define dangerous dogs by their behaviors, not by their appearances or breed. That sounds like a good thing and I think I would support a similar law in our state. It makes much more sense than any BSL. And, if a person purposfully keeps a "dangerous dog", it is a felony. That *really* targets the other end of the leash.

The Humane Society of the United States supports it HUSUS
Here is a link to the full text of the law so you can see it for yourself.

What do you think of it? Please do read it first!

Anything you can think of to improve it?

-edit-
Oh cats, I gotta learn how to spell "New Mexico".
[notify]
Morgan Anna- Maria- Bridge Ange

Have tiara, will- party!

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '05 6:47am PST 
I think that looks like a better law than most. I would need to see the final bill before I would be too happy, because lots of changes can happen before it gets to the Governor's desk, even if that is the Senate version. Remember, the House probably has to approve it as well. If it is enacted as drafted, it should prove to be a reasonable way to help curb the problems some cities have with vicious dogs without unduly infringing on the rights of owners who are responsible. It could turn out to be exactly the opposite, though,depending on the way it is enforced after it is enacted. That's the part we can't know until it's too late. It's certainly a good place to start, though. I was particularly happy that they created exceptions for the most typical causes of dog bites, those which are NOT the dog's fault. It should be at least a reasonably good deal, if it is enacted and enforced as it is written now. Keep us informed- it might be a wave of the future, if it works.
Morg- taking off her reading glasses
[notify]
Joker

Be true to your- pack

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '05 8:52am PST 
Morgan, I believe it is law already. The HUSUS page said:
Last Action: 3/31/05: Signed into law by governor.

The American Dog Owners Association rants against it, but it seems good to me.

Would you pups support it in your state? Would you be threatened by it?
[notify]

Kaltag "Kallie"

Mushing in the- SNOW!!!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '05 6:04pm PST 
Hmm, it sounds ok except for these parts:

"causing an injury to a person or domestic animal that is less severe than a serious injury;"

Kallie and Sherwen would both be considered dangerous for attacking and killing domestic cats.

I love the part where a dog is NOT considered dangerous if it bit when someone tresspassed, responded to pain, being provoked, etc.
I think that that should be adopted everywhere.
[notify]
Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '05 7:35am PST 
I like how it considers other domestic animals to be important and gives an "out" for when the dog is not at fault, or is just doing their job.

Kallie, I don't think you would have to worry about the cats if they are in your yard - I think that counts as trespassing or something. BTW, I love your sledding pics! Mom just ordered us a scooter, since central Texas is not exactly know for snowfall. I am so excited about running!
[notify]
Sam-In- loving- memory

Sammy Sam

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '05 8:26am PST 
I just love that, it's perfect for what I'm trying to do in my state. I want to start a petion revoking the BSL and replace it with something that goes on the action of the dog.
[notify]
MacKenzie (REST IN PEACE)

Now cat- friendly.

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '05 7:05pm PST 
A few weeks ago the person who drafted this law was attacked by his dog and ended up in hospital.
[notify]