GO!

"Pit" kills 3 year old

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Raskol

Paddle!- Paddle!- Splash!

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 8:04am PST 
Here we go again. This time, it's a LOT closer to home for me.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=93158&ra n=77511

That's 2 in Virginia this year. And the debate is heating up.
[notify]
Ivan

Big, Lovable,- Cuddly Ivie

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 8:22am PST 
Well if you read about it, it says the kid was alone with the dogs (BIG no-no) and the female had puppies! Not to mention, their house was what? Condemned after authorities searched through it? lol Must have been some horrible living conditions...usually what you'd expect from irresposible parents and pet owners.

It's sad that this child had to pay for his parents stupidity with his life. And, of course, everyone takes it out on the dogs...not the parents who should have known better.
[notify]
Brandy-licious!!

I'm A Great- Big Chocolate- Kiss!!

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 9:02am PST 
We try to stay out of this debate because we live in Denver and there have been numerous people (and dogs) here who were attacked and/or killed by Pit Bulls without any provocation. Even though it makes us extremely unpopular with some people, we support the ban. Having said that though, some of the nicest dogs we have ever had the privelege of meeting and playing with have been Pit Bulls. The issue is not really individual dogs though, it's the fact that over the years the Pit breed has been polluted by people who want to use them for fighting and other horrible things. It is in their blood now and it would take a very long time to breed it out of them. So while we have met some really nice Pitties, we have always been very careful not to get too rough with them. A Pit may be perfectly sweet and loving, but one day, for no apparent reason, the evil blood in them can come out with horrible results. The saddest part is, often when it happens, it's not the dog's fault or their humans either. It's because of the last 50 years or so of cruel and nasty people breeding dangerous traits into these dogs. It makes us sick!!
[notify]

Raskol

Paddle!- Paddle!- Splash!

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 9:08am PST 
Brandy,

If I lived in Denver, I'd be dead. I'm sorry you think that's okay.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 9:32am PST 
Brandy,

I agree with you that people have been irresponibly breeding pit bulls and that this breeding may or may not be breeding human agressiveness in. I don't think anyone will dispute that there are some very unsavory people trying very hard to make their pit bulls mean.

However, there is something called a temperment test. This is basically a test where you pretty much annoy the heck out of a dog and see what it does. I believe all dogs should be temprement tested before being placed in homes. Some things that a temperment test includes are giving the dog food and sticking a fake hand in and taking the bowl away (fake hand so that you don't get your hand bitten off if the dog fails the test!), having a fake crying screaming baby, scaring the dog with an umbrella, exuberently hugging and squishing the dog like a kid might and so on.

I would argue that instead of encouraging the slaughter of innocent animals perhaps instead you should be working for temperment testing and increased non breed specific spay/neuter programs. This way there won't be as many doggies of all breeds born and also the doggies that are living in peoples homes if temperment tested would be extremely unlikely to turn around and attack a human.

Breed Specific Legislation won't stop with pit bulls, Brandy. There will just be a new breed that people will choose to "make mean". In my opinion, labs might be a good candidate for this (after Rotties, Dobies, German Shepards, bulldogs and the like are banned). They have wide heads, they have fairly strong jaws, they are big dogs and are very trainable, they have been irresponsibly bred for a long time (by back yard breeders) and so on. Now I'm not saying that labs are mean or anything, I'm just asking you, how would you feel if all the sudden there was legislation to kill you because of some stupid irresponisble people?

I, too, am sorry to know that you wish to see me dead. In case you're wondering I'm half pit and a service dog. I've been attacked by other dogs many times and even gotten serious wounds from them, yet I've never hurt another dog.

I'm just wondering, do you let those nice pits that you play with know that you want them dead?
[notify]
Captain- Morgan

Captain Morgan- aka AquaMan

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 9:53am PST 
That was totally the fault of some very stupid human beings. That poor child never had a chance in life anyway with humans like that for parents. I know that sounds cruel, but why blame the dog for something that could have been prevented by a parent that was supervising. Especially when the dog had pups. GRRRRR!!! This makes me so mad!!
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 10:27am PST 
The father said he hoped the tore the house down - sounds like a disgusting place.

Such a tragedy to happen. I can't imagine the conditions they all had to live in. No-one will ever know what actually happened. Perhaps he went downstairs to play with the pups and the mother dog didn't like it - no-one will ever know I guess. I also note the irresponsibility of letting the dogs breed! Very sad.
[notify]
Haylee

Sleepy Kissy- Face

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 1:33pm PST 
I am so sorry you support breed banning - I too would be dead as I am half stafforshire terrier & half boxer. The problem my dear, is not the dogs, it is the bad breeders who sell them to bad people and bad things happen. There needs to be tougher DOG OWNERSHIP laws, not breed bans.
So Mr. crack head dealer down the street has a pit bull - he bought him from a breeder who couldn't care less what happens to his dogs. He abuses this pit, makes him mean, keeps him chained outside all the time. Then the pitbull breed gets banned - his dog dies. So then he goes and gets a rottie. Same thing happens, so then he goes and gets a Presa Canario, and so the cycle continues. It basically would get to the point where border collies (hmm, you are part BC I think?) and corgis, etc would be banned breeds as well... Don't think it would never happen, Italy's banned breeds include these two among MANY MANY others. It's a slippery slope, and breed banning is not the answer. Getting tough on bad dog owners is.

-Haylee-
[notify]
Alice

Max is my man,- back off!- *Bridge Angel*

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 2:35pm PST 
yeah, that is so mean...Up here on the Bridge there are so many poor little pits, puppies to that i have talked to that say before they could even fit into a collar they were euthanized. That's not right. I could have been dead by now if i were a pittbull, but thankfully i wasn't. I have many friends here and down there that were pittbulls, and not ONE ever hurt me in anyway. I always wanted to be with them all the time.

Also, i must add, that it's not the animals fault for breeding, it's the stupid people who breed their their dogs to the point of inflamation. Did you ever realize that 600 years ago there was 9 times lees dogs than there are today...
[notify]
Brandy-licious!!

I'm A Great- Big Chocolate- Kiss!!

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '05 5:00pm PST 
HOLD ON A MINUTE!! The Pit Bulls that have been confiscated and/or turned over to the ASPCA have NOT been slaughtered. We know that is what a lot of people think and it is simply not true. There are SEVERAL no kill shelters in areas around Denver, Table Mountain up in Golden being one of them, who have taken on a lot of the Pits to try and find them good homes in areas where they are legal. Furthermore, what you have to understand is that Denver is actually only a very small part of the Denver metro area and the fact is, if people really wanted to keep their dogs, they could have moved a few miles away in almost any direction and they would have been perfectly legal. There are irresponsible pet owners EVERYWHERE, but we need to put this in perspective. It is illegal in Colorado to own a vicious dog, no matter the breed. That is a fact. If you look at the history of this ban, you will see that there have been an inordinate amount of Pit Bull attacks in the Denver area and more than 1 or 2 killings-- not just people either-- and most of these killings were unprovoked. There was even a case where the Pit Bull had gotten loose, got into the neighbor's yard and BROKE THE GLASS IN THE NEIGHBOR'S DOG RUN to get at the woman's 2 poodles, which were both killed, torn apart in fact. I am sorry that you think we don't like Pits, that's simply not true. But I will tell you, when we go to the dogpark, we expect to be able to play with other dogs and not have to worry about getting our guts or throats ripped out because we are playing a little rough. It's a crying shame that a few really crappy people had to ruin it for everyone, but they have. If you are going to be assigning blame to anyone over the ban, you need to assign it to the breeders, the people who get Pit Bulls and then cut their ears and bob their tails and smack them around and torture them until they are so scared and mean they don't know anything but fighting. And if we are unpopular because of our views, so be it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5