GO!

Swollen Dew Claw

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Goblin

give me mud or- give me ball!

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '05 2:57pm PST 
Goblin has a swollen & bent dew claw on her left paw. We took her to the vet & she gave goblin some anti-inflammation meds, but she didn't think there was anything else she could do apart from surgery.

We're not keen on Goblin having surgery. She's only 1 & a half years old. We have been bathing her paw twice a day & keeping her inside to limit her activity on the paw.

But the paw still seems to find ways to bleed & stay swollen. We've tried bandaging it, but Goblin takes it off faster than we get it on.

We don't know what else to do.

Goblin is an extremely energetic golden retriever. If anyone has had a similar problem with a similar sized puppy & has any suggestions please let us know.
[notify]
Bree

Back off girls,- Mr. Quincyno is- MINE!

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '05 3:06pm PST 
Goblin- Hiya! I'm sowwy that you cut a boo-boo on yer paw!! Ya know what, a few weeks ago, while playing fetch with mom, my dew claw riped off! Ouch! It hurt alot!! I went to the vets, they trimmed it for me, and put a bandage on it for 24 hours. My mom is a vet tech, she's going telling me now what you should do. Mom says once a day you should clean it with some paroxide, and try to keep it clean. If it starts bleeding agian, take some baking soda or flower and but some on the end of the nail. If you can't put a bandage over it,it's not that important. Just keep it clean! Try not to let Goblin lick it too much!! GOOD LUCK!!! MUUWAH! xoxox, Bree smile
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '05 3:13pm PST 
I'm going to do this from what I think might be Goblin's point of view (at least I'm almost positive it would be Sabrina's):

Dew Claw: well, I don't use it for anything. It just hangs there on my leg and normally doesn't bother me.

Current discomfort: my leg is really hurting a lot. It is swollen and red and bleeding, which is no fun. Also, they're not letting me play and be as active aas I like. Another thing that isn't fun is that they keep putting this bandage on it-- oh wait, that's a fun thing cuz then I get to tear it off!

Surgery: well, it would be scary, but then this dew claw thing would be gone. I'd have another bandage for a while maybe, but it will heal quickly. Surgery is scary, but it would make me better quicker.

No surgery: I'll have to deal with this annoying broken dew claw for longer. Once it heals, it may just jiggle around and catch on things and be more likely to get caught and re-injured.

So, I would say to get the dew claw removed. I've seen animals with broken dew claws come into the shelter and they don't look like fun injuries to live with. One doggy had all her dew claws broken and they just swung around (the bone had all been reabsorbed I guess) and caught on everything. If you were wearing a sweater and you accidentally got to close, they would catch on the sweater and it would hurt the poor little doggie trying to get the sweater off.

Unless you have a really good reason for keeping the dew claw, I've always felt that broken dewclaws should be removed to prevent further injury to the animal. I haven't looked at your profile so I don't know if Goblin has been spqyed yet, but if she hasn't, you could just combine those two things into the same surgery session so you only have to go under once.

Of course, I have to say that dewclaw removal just for the fun of it is not cool in my book. This to me doesn't seem like just for the fun of it. It's like say you had a third nipple and somehow that third nipple got really badly injured and wouldn't heal. If your options were to keep on trying to get it to heal while restricting your daily activities a lot or to get surgery that would remove the nipple and fix the problem, what would you do?
[notify]

Bronze

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '05 3:47pm PST 
In your Golden's best interest, I would suggest that the dew claw is removed. Especially with an energetic dog, it is possible that the entire dew claw can be ripped off or partially ripped off. Your old enough to have surgery.

Good Luck
[notify]
Bronze

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '05 3:52pm PST 
In your Golden's best interest, I would suggest that the dew claw is removed. Especially with an energetic dog, it is possible that the entire dew claw can be ripped off or partially ripped off. Your old enough to have surgery.

Good Luck
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Sep 11, '05 12:16am PST 
Dew claws are only important if you are a show dog. For poodles, for example, you are disqualified from the ring if you don't have your dew claws. But that's just for show dogs. For the rest of us (the "normal" pets) out there, dew claws are nothing more than annoyance. Things get caught in our dew claws and it can hurt us. Our parents have to clip that nail all the time, because dew claw nails never rub off the pavement when we walk.
[notify]
Keeley

Born to sniff.

Barked: Sun Sep 11, '05 11:53am PST 
I had my dew claws removed long before mom and dad ever knew me. But my sister still has hers. It makes my parents nervous since she gets into everything and isn't as graceful as they'd like (she hit her head twice in five minutes this morning- once when she was shaking her body when she woke up and the other when she turned too quick to see me) so they worry about it. Mom's not a fan of cosmetic surgery for dogs, but in this case, she thinks it's for their safety. They won't have Echo's removed since they can't afford that surgery but it's in the plans for the future.
[notify]
Goblin

give me mud or- give me ball!

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '05 2:52pm PST 
i've had the paw bandaged for the last 3 days & the swelling has gone down. but you can clearly see that the nail has separated from the paw. will the nail fall off?
[notify]