GO!

Licking of Paws and Blisters on the Lips

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '14 8:59pm PST 
Withdrawn, please delete.

Edited by author Mon Aug 18, '14 11:40pm PST

[notify]
Willow

Willow loves to- herd people.

Barked: Mon Aug 18, '14 11:59pm PST 
Moving him from the PC Meaty formula to the PC Large Breed Nutrition Plus is a good start to possibly help his skin issues. The PC Meaty Formula has by-products, corn gluten and corn which are not the best ingredients. The new formula you have introduced him to do not have these ingredients. Dogs can have allergic reactions to chicken so you might try a Limited Ingredient Diet such as a duck, venison or fish formula with one carb source. Grain free formulas are also an option. The premium brands are more dense and you pet will eat less and poop less on them, which affects the cost in the long run with less vet bills. I feed my Australian Shepherd Nutro Natural Choice Grain Free Fish. She has had some iching issues but once I changed to this formula she is not itching anymore. There are a lot of good brands out that, so do your research and good luck.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '14 12:55am PST 
Thanks for your response (which came, oddly enough, after I had totally deleted the question).

I have since taken him the vet AGAIN and this time came back with some antibiotics and steroids, since she took a swab or pressing and saw lots of bacteria. She also said that the blisters are unlikely to be a symptom of allergy.

Of course, I agree with your comments about better food. Unfortunately cost is an issue. The PC stuff he has been eating for several years and its first ingredient is chicken, and it is also his favourite of the several foods I have purchased and tried since I became his owner. I stay away from the cheap corn-intensive stuff.

Edited by author Wed Aug 20, '14 12:56am PST

[notify]

Willow

Willow loves to- herd people.

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '14 6:38am PST 
Glad to hear that all went well at the vet and that they found out what the issue was. I hope the recovery is fast and things are back to normal soon. You are a good mom not feeding, corns and other fillers that do not digest well with dogs.
[notify]