GO!

Eye Allergy or Inflammation issue

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 11:24am PST 
So, Peter has been having this weird issue with his left eye. It started about 3 weeks ago. I just noticed his eye really red/pink around the white part (sclera). I went to PetCo and bought drops but they did nothing so I booked an appointment with my vet. I was really scared it was glaucoma but he did a pressure test and the eye pressure was normal. The stain test showed no scratch or anything so he prescribed me some Neomycin/Polymyxin drops that really helped. The prescribed duration and amount was 3 times a day for 10-14 days. So we did that. A few days past the 14 days the eye got pink again. It's like the bloodvessels on the white part are inflammed rather then the whole eye if that makes sense. So, I called the vet back and he said it could possibly be allergies and that if the drops are working go ahead and continue for 10 more days. So, this was Monday when I called him back and told him all this. Monday and Tuesday I gave him some drops then Wed. & Thurs the eye seemed fine so I didn't give any. Yesterday and this morning it's pink/inflammed again so I gave him the drops.
I'm just wondering if it could really be allergies? Also, he just turned 12, so I'm aware as dogs age they could have eye problems.
Other than the eye being pink he seems fine. He's not pawing at it or squinting or rubbing his face on the carpet.
Anybody else have something similar going on or happen?
Of course if it continues I'll need a referral for an opthamologist but I was hoping to avoid that.

hug
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 11:42am PST 
Peter, did your vet test for dry eye?? That is not uncommon in older dogs and would pretty much give the same symptoms. It is not unusual for it to only affect ONE eye as well. Sometimes there will be yellowish mucus present as well. (NOT green pus type).
You could actually "test" for it yourself by purchasing some human eye OINTMENT, I use Bauch and Lomb night ointment and apply it morning and evening. If it works, voila, diagnose is made!!! Those eye ointments (human AND dog are basically a lubricant and keep the eye moist so it can be used as often as needed, AND if your vets tests and finds he has dry eye, he is only going to prescribe Paralube which is exactly the same thing but much more expensive!!!
You can also use the dry eye drops for humans but the drops need to be applied often, like about six or more times PER DAY!!!
Sadly, I have lots of experience with dry eye as both my hairless cresteds had hereditary dry eye (comes on when they are YOUNG), and both lost an eye due to it.
It certainly will not harm his eye to try either the ointment or the drops and they are quite inexpensive in places like Walmart.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 12:36pm PST 
I'm wondering what does your vet think it is. basically, what are those eye drops for? I would not think it's an allergy as developing one so much later wouldn't be likely. I hope there is improvement. way to go
[notify]

Peter Parker

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 1:09pm PST 
Toto, no he did not test for dry eyethinking I am assuming if we have to go back it may be something he might test though. I am actually headed to the grocers in a bit so I am going to purchase some of the ointment you mentioned. Or maybe the drops as well. Thanks for the heads up on that. Luckily, Peter is pretty good about me putting the drops in his eye, he doesn't fuss or anything.
hug

Scooter, my vet didn't really give me a 100% diagnosis just ruled out glaucoma and scratches on the cornea. He said it could be allergies caused by any number of things, pollens, environmental, stuff and sprays in the house, smoke, just a number of things. Said we'll have to keep an eye on it (no pun intended)
The Neomycin drops have some really good reviews online. They are an anti-inflammatory type drop but expensive. I paid $47 for them at the vet only to find out I could have gotten them cheaper online.
My vet also said I might have to get a referral to an opthamologist if it gets worse or does not clear up. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that!!

hug

I just think it's weird that one day it's fine or for a few days it's fine then it just gets irritated/pink again.thinking

Edited to add: Toto, he does not have any mucous but has like clear tearing a little in that eye. Not much but I notice his fur a little wet by the eye and it's clear and non-odorous.

Edited by author Sat Sep 14, '13 1:11pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 1:53pm PST 
Peter, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY for allergies to affect ONLY one eye!! Dry eye, on the other hand, is common in only one eye, both my Cresteds have one perfectly normal eye.
Breeds with smaller heads tend to suffer dry eye more commonly so it is possible it can be an issue in Doxies, I admit, I didn't look it up, though.
Try the drops or ointment and good luck!!!!
In the beginning both Cresteds only had problems in the Summer, they were fine all the rest of the year, but because hereditary KCS, which they have, is progressive, that didn't last long! But, it is possible Peter will be fine at other times of the year as well if this is his problem.
[notify]
Peter Parker

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 5:39pm PST 
Toto, That's exactly what I was thinking....that if it was indeed allergies it would be BOTH eyes not just the one.
I did get to the grocers and got 1 Baush & Lomb Soothe Tired Eyes drops and I also got a bottle of GenTeal Mild lubricant drops. I think I saw the night-time ones you mentioned. They were in a bigger box and packaged differently? I maybe should have gotten those. His eye is fine right now. I did use the Neomycin this morning. So, I'll forgo the Neomycin for now and when I see the eye pink/red again I'll use the B&L drops to see if indeed it may be dry eye. Interestingly enough, online it does mention Dachshunds prone to KCS, and long haired ones more prone to a pigmentary keratosis or conjunctivitis. I'm going to look and research a little further but there was a mention on several websites of Dachshsunds being prone to KCS and other eye issues. Hoping it clears up soon.
Thank you so much for your input Toto. As always it is very much appreciated. hughughug
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 6:13pm PST 
Not a problem, Peter. That is what Dogster is for, right??
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 1:23pm PST 
My rascal is going through something very similar although he is producing mucous and watering. I have been flushing them out twice a day and tried giving him benadryl too. Which I think the benadryl was helping because he seems to be draining more today, I havent given him any today.
I am a tech and also have another dog with chronic eye issues so this was a bit normal to me. My joke was the healthy dog was jealous lol. Anyways. I have had him to work twice, checked pressures, tears and for cuts. Nada both times.
We are thinking it may be allergies due to the tests being completely normal each time.
I did treat him with medications too. His eyes arent really red though.
Hopefully you figure it out or its just allergies. I feel you! Dealing with my one dogs issues now my other dog that has HAD normal eyes is screwed up too! Its really frustrating.
[notify]
Peter Parker

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 11:06am PST 
Aw, Rascal, I feel you. I really do. This past Winter Peter had back surgery and pretty much wiped out my savings, so I'm like maxed out on vet stuff!!!confused We've been to the vet at least 2 other times since then too for little stuff here and there. It's like, once you think they are doing ok something else pops up.
His eye is like fine one day, then the next it's irritated, It's weird. I would think if it was serious it would just get progressively worse. I bought some GenTeal drops over the weekend that seemed to help some. Keeping our fingers crossed it doesn't get worse for either of us!!!hughughughug
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 3:52pm PST 
Peter, I had a grooming client who's bichon had a nasty, red eye when it came this morning. She said she's been to the vets TWICE and they said allergy and gave her some antibiotic ointment. (Antibiotics for allergy????)
Anyway, I looked at his eye, called a dry eye and told her when she picked him up.
She went right up to the vets (it's next door), asked them to check for dry eye and BINGO, he had almost NO tears being produced in that eye!! She couldn't wait to come back here and report to me!
I wanted to ask the vets for a consultants fee, BOL!!!~
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2