GO!

Facial Paralysis Help?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Precious

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 9:07am PST 
My 10 year old mixed breed has recently been diagnosed with facial paralysis. It's been a few days since the diagnosis, and in the last day or so has been experiencing some nausea, her head is beginning to tilt and she has an unsteady walk. The paralysis affects one side only so far, and has resulted in the usual ear droop, excessive drooling and inability to blink her eye. She is being given eye drops for some relief. The vet noted a mass on her eardrum and she will be getting a CT scan tomorrow to see exactly the size of it. I was just hoping for any advice from anyone who has knowledge on this condition. It breaks my heart to see her so disoriented, and so if there's any suggestions on how to help her deal with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 10:20am PST 
I have been through something similar, but the diagnosis was different. I was diagnosed with bells palsy after having paralysis on the right side of my face. I couldn't blink, right side of my mouth drooped when I panted, I drooled a little, and neuro tests (poking, hand to eye tests) showed paralysis.

Really three things it could be: an inner middle ear infection, a tumor/mass, or idiopathic, which in my case would mean bells palsy. I had a neurologist confirm that diagnosis.

I never had any unsteadiness or dizziness though. I get the feeling based on what you said that it's related to the mass you have in your ear canal. It could certainly affect what's going on. I hope it's something they can remove. Good luck to you and I'm thinking of you!

I have heard that some dogs do easier when they are able to eat/drink with their heads raised and not down. So you can put something under the bowls so that he doesn't have to lower his head that might make him feel a little more comfortable too.

Edited by author Thu Sep 12, '13 10:35am PST

[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 3:12am PST 
Any updates? hug
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 7:53am PST 
I was wondering too Kali frown
[notify]