GO!

so confused

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
(Indie) CH- Herdabout- Tri N 4 I

HURRY UP!

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 1:34pm PST 
Let me start off by saying I worked in a vet clinic for over 10 years and have contact with my vet and the staff at the clinic I used to work at by phone, text and facebook LOL So please don't get mad at me for doing something...

Indie was at the park Saturday August 24 and he was playing with his brother Quin (another Sheltie) with the Chuck-It and playing 'fetch' then I noticed him slowing down...he'd chase the ball btu let Quin take it and let him run back...I just thought he was tired and didn't want to boss his brother around any more...silly me...
We went to leave and I noticed blood all over his front left paw and splatter on his back leg...I did a quick once over of him in the park and started our walk home as he seemed unphased by it all.
Got home and shaved it, cleaned it, soaked it in salt water and took some pictures of it...the bleeding hadn't continued and I let him be thinking nothing of it. He limped cause of thebandage and I monitored it.
On Wednesday I got him to the vet cause it just didn't seem right he was still limping...did xrays which came up with nothing just very swollen toe and pad on the outer left. Went home with pain meds, antibiotics and a $450 vet bill.
He seemed to be doing great smile

Went back to park on September 3rd (over a week later) to the same park and left with bloody paw again...cleaned, soaked and wrapped it...I texted my vet and one of the techs some pictures and a description...they recommended wrapping it and I explained it looks like the skin around the nail is loose from it...

Today...
I had it unwrapped and walked him for about 20 minutes on leash and around the blocks in the area...come home and its bloody...not much but enough to get the fur wet...texted vet...wrapped it again...

He has a couple more days left of antibiotics...and the pain meds.

I am at a loss...nail bed loose from nail base...only bleeds on physical irritation (running, playing and now walking)...xray is clear...

I am so confused...
[notify]
Zeus

Zeus - King of the Dogs

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 2:33pm PST 
Sounds weird. Will the vet not do a free follow up? You paid so much and they didn't solve your problem. Maybe he needs the nail removed? Maybe the infection is deep and the meds wont help. Maybe he needs IV or removal of nail.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 5:40pm PST 
Does he scuffle his feet at all when he walks or runs? Kali has a natural shuffle/scuffle when I walk her. If I haven't had her out in a while, she comes back with bloody pads. The pavement acts like sand paper on her feet. I have to clean them and not walk her until they heal. Then I take her out again. Each time she has bloody pads until they toughen up. Also, sometimes if they have a neurological thing going on they may scuffle/shuffle one foot. Hope you figure it out. Good Luck!
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 5:53pm PST 
hmmm is it his nails? or one particular nail? Is the bleeding coming from the nail beds?
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 5:55pm PST 
hmmm is it his nails? or one particular nail becoming loose from the nail bed? Is that what's happening?

Edited by author Wed Sep 4, '13 5:58pm PST

[notify]

HURRY UP!

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 6:21pm PST 
Thanks everyone!
It;s not the pad that's bleeding...I'm not sure how to load pictures on here... Umm

I explain it as it is bleeding where the nail meets the skin and I first noticed it was maybe when he did a big run with jumps and flips and catching the ball...tonight was just weird that it happened while we just walked on the leash...

If I push the skin up it makes kinda a little opening with the skin at the top of the nail...it's all really hard to see and now I am starting to think am I seeing that or am I going crazy!?

I gotta go to the dentist tomorrow for a cavity...maybe I need to go to the vet again and use my pay cheque at the dentist and vet like my last pay cheque LOL....I love you Indie, but seriously?! You already had a $1500 vet bill earlier this year for GI issues...I think I have a lemon big laugh thinking
[notify]

HURRY UP!

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 6:50pm PST 
paw 1

paw 2

paw 3

paw 4

Edited by author Wed Sep 4, '13 7:04pm PST

[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 4:58am PST 
I can't see the pictures while I'm here at work. Is it just one nail or more than one nail?

the reason I'm asking is my dog Trudy was diagnosed with SLO--Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy. It affects the nail and nail beds. It started out as licking...a couple of nails. Then over a course of a few weeks all of her nails were affected.

I also mentioned it because it's really hard for vets to diagnose it and many have never seen or treated it.

I could be way off base but that's why I asked if it was the nail or nail bed.

Edited by author Thu Sep 5, '13 5:01am PST

[notify]

HURRY UP!

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 5:34am PST 
So far it is just the one nail...outer left on the left front paw...

I took the bandage off last night and he was licking it and chewing, but it did not bleed again. He was fine for our quick walk this morning before I left for work.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 8:18am PST 
Ok...hmmm...I wish I could see the pictures. Our girl Trudy started out excessively licking her left front paw. We thought it was a fungal or bacterial infection. I asked them to trim her nails (this was weeks after no confirmed diagnosis), a couple of her nails came off.

SLO affects dogs differently....breaking off of the nails, bleeding, nail just falls off, nails become deformed. For us, we had it pretty easy compared to some who's nails just broke off or tore off the nail bed.

I'm not saying that's what your dog has...just keep it in mind IF there is problems with another nail. SLO is hard to diagnose
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3