GO!

does anyone have a video on chatter jaw?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Buddy

Buddy Bad Ass

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 7:32pm PST 
I have read some of the posts about chatter jaw and some answers were very helpful, but I still have questions. My Brittany Spaniel is approximately 10 or 11 years old and still very active. He displays this chatter jaw thing after he smells and licks my spayed females urine,(gross) when we play ball and he is waiting for me to throw it, his whole body shakes and his jaw chatters as though he is going into seizure or super cold. I know this is because he is going into ball fetching withdrawal...lol. He also does this when my husband and I are in bed and eating. He will sit at the end of the bed in expectation of getting a little people food. After a while he starts doing the body shaking jaw chattering thing. He also body shakes when we return from work. He definitely has separation anxiety issues. Lately though, like two days ago he started doing this jaw chattering thing when he is already laying down and relaxed. He will smack his jaws (like we humans smack our lips after eating something delish)and then his jaw starts chattering. Or when he goes to get comfortable his jaw chatters. I have tried to video tape him in action , but when I do, he stops and looks at me with that disgusted look, like he is silently saying "go away and get that camera out of my face!!" Before I take him to the vet, I would like to know if this is something I should be concerned about? Or should I just make the appointment?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 4:56am PST 
IMO and IME, it is perfectly normal, especially when combined with smelling/eating/anticipating something.
In my boys that have done it I have noticed it does definitely get worse/more common as they age. I wouldn't worry, especially if he stops when distracted.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 3:31am PST 
Rigby used to do this all the time when we brought her home.
After playing a vigorous round of tug, upon release she would chatter.
And after one of her food aggression "attacks" on another dog she would chatter for a few minutes.

As far as I could find, this is just a way of coping with overstimulation.
[notify]