GO!

Help for dog with a slipped/bulging disc

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 9:17am PST 
Hello - my 11.5 year old Brussels griffon pug mix has a slipped or bulging disc in his back. He can still walk and move his legs but he is wobbly and unsteadily almost as if his legs are weak.

I took him to the vet and he's now on 3-4 weeks of cage rest (we are almost at the one week mark) plus anti inflammatories, a steroid/pain reliever and some type of spine medication. He does seem slightly better after 4 days or so.

Our vet recommended seeing a neurologist for the possibility of surgery but we absolutely cannot afford surgery - around 5k.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the meds and cage rest help him. I've done a lot of research online about it and it does seem to help the majority of dogs.. Even ones that are worse off than mine is. I am also looking into acupuncture as I read good things on that. We tried six laser treatments and they didn't seem to help much.

I am asking if anyone has had any experience with this if they can offer any feedback and suggestions and let me know how their dog made out and if they have any alternative methods of care that worked? I've read that sometimes cage rest recovery can take up to 12 weeks so I'm just looking for some non surgery feedback please.

Thank you!
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 9:27pm PST 
When I was doing a lot of training in Schutzhund (tracking, obedience and protection) my German Shepherd Sch3 dog was used a lot in training seminars. Unfortunately, during one training session my dog ended up with a herniated/slipped disk. She was only four at the time so I was willing to do anything for her and money was not a problem at the time.

I went to quite a few surgeons and nearly all of them recommended crating and medicating her first and then possibly surgery. I finally met one wonderful vet which he told me to stop the pain medicine, keep her from jumping and stairs. Having the dog on pain medication could further do damage, whereas the dog would not do as much if they felt the pain when the ran or jumped. He told me the dog would adjust to the slipped disk and the disk will eventually dissolve. Dogs have four legs and we have two, which is why people usually have to have surgery. She lived to be 12 years which is not to bad for the breed. She still jumped on her dog house where she loved to lay down and the disc problem certainly did not seem to effect her after she was feeling better.

I am only talking from my own experience and this happened over twenty years ago, so there may be other alternatives that I do not know about.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 10:14am PST 
It sounds along the lines of most recommendations. I hear you about the surgery. Crate rest at this point is of the upmost importance. No stairs, no jumping, no running. I had a herniated disc and I know what you mean with the wobbling. Unfortunately for me, my wobbling got worse pretty quick so I did have the surgery. Thankfully I had pet insurance relieved

I have heard of accupuncture helping so don't rule that out as an option if you find you need it.

My only advice would be to follow the doctors instructions and do not let your dog overdo it. I have heard of many who did strict crate rest and they got better that way. I have heard crate rest up to 6 weeks too. I am hoping this works for your dog. Good luck to you! way to go

Edited by author Wed Jun 19, '13 10:26am PST

[notify]

Lola, in memory.

Her name was- Lola, she WAS a- show girl..

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 3:35pm PST 
Just this morning I discovered Lola, my 3 year old Frenchie, dragging her rear legs and not walking at all. Having had Frenchies for years and years, sadly I have seen disk issues before, but in the neck, not the rear. We have ALWAYS done steroids, muscle relaxants and STRICT cage rest for a minimum of three weeks and it's always worked.
Well, I had a new vet this morning, she did agree with the steroids and muscle relaxants, and also gave her a shot of dex, which we had done with the others. But, when I mentioned crate rest, she said, "oh, she can get around by dragging her legs so don't worry about it." I was flabbergasted!!! Having had disk issues myself and having the previous experience with other Frenchies, I KNOW that the only way they will recover and heal is by removing ALL weight bearing on their spine and allowing the steroids to work to reduce the swelling that is causing the paralysis and the muscle relaxants to reduce the muscle spasms. Walking, especially dragging her rear legs, is certainly NOT going to help either of these drugs do their job nor is it going to help the body heal.
Lola will be spending the next two to three weeks in her crate 24/7. I will carry her outside to relieve herself, and support her while she does, and carry her back inside to her crate. I can't imagine risking permanent paralysis by letting her walk AT ALL.
I have to wonder if this vet is paid a commission for drumming up new dogs for spinal surgery!!! I will be discussing this with my "regular" vet who is HER new boss!!
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 6:14am PST 
YOu know...that's interesting...I started wobbling on my back right leg...and then it slowly took over the rest of my hind legs. Thats when we knew we had to to do the surgery.

AFTER my surgery, my neurologist said I only needed to be in my crate if someone could not watch me. He was mostly concerned with me going up and down the stairs or jumping on the sofa. But overall, he wanted out, walking as much as I could tolerate. Not overdoing it, but some come home from surgery and are given strict crate rest. Not me....I came home on Thursday, still dragging myself a bit and by Friday morning, I was back to the wobbly walk. It got better each day.

For me, it worked...The doc worked with us every step of the way and I made a complete recover big grin
[notify]
Lola, in memory.

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 9:10am PST 
Scooter... what about BEFORE surgery?? Lola is no better, no worse so I am thinking about putting her in an expen and letting her move about a bit. I know with MY disk it was walking that made it better.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 10:52am PST 
Well in my case, I think that not doing the crate rest hurt me. See, my doc ordered me to crate rest and mom thought it was a bunch of rubbish red face He had mentioned a herniated disc but mom didn't think so because I was still walking around, acting normal except going slow up and down stairs and not wanting to jump on the sofa.

She did the crate rest for a couple of days and after the medication started kicking in, I started feeling a lot better. So, fast forward a week or so. All the sudden mom notices my back leg is a little wobbly. That's when mom took me back in. Doc asked if I did the crate rest and mom admitted I hadn't. he wasn't too happy about that red face

Needless to say, by the next day, I could not walk and had to go into emergency surgery the following day.

So, yes in my case, I think not doing the crate rest probably hurt me. I have seen others do remarkably well with crate rest. If I were ever ordered to do crate rest again, I would do it in a heart beat just because i think it hurt me the first time around. frown
[notify]
Lola, in memory.

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 1:02pm PST 
Okay... I have ALWAYS done the crate completely, carried them outside to pee/poop, and it's worked fine except for Lola. I'll give it some more time!!!
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 3:37pm PST 
It sounds like you are on the right track. When I was on crate rest, that's what mom did. She did let me out and let me talk to the kitchen to eat. She did the same thiing...carried me outside. I only did the crate rest for a day and half because at that point, I was already going down hill. I always wondered IF I did the crate rest from that first visit where the doc said it was a "possibility" frown Could I have avoided surgery? shrug

Anyway, good luck to you and I hope Lola starts to feel better ASAP cloud 9flowershug
[notify]
Lola, in memory.

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 7:28am PST 
Sadly, we ended up putting Lola to sleep this morning. She had no feeling nor reflex action in either leg, no bladder nor bowel control at all and it had been an entire week on drugs with no improvement.
Surgeons couldn't offer any hope of improvement either in the absence of the reflex movements.
NO MORE FRENCHIES for me!! There are just too many issues with them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2