GO!

11 Month Old Cocker Spaniel - Cage Ridden - Ideas

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Stiles- Winslow- Taylor

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 5:29pm PST 
Hello everyone,

Recently my dog has had surgery and will be cage ridden for about three weeks. I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to keep him entertained while he is in the cage. I take him out about four times a day but while he is not outside I do not want him to just sit there and be bored (maybe toys he can interact with etc.)

If anyone has any suggestions for anything it would be greatly appreciated!

B.

Edited by author Tue May 21, '13 5:44pm PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 6:48pm PST 
Does he have a Kong toy? You can fill it with peanut butter or his regular food and freeze it. That will take him a while to get all the goodies out of it. I used to give Koby a bowl of ice cubes to keep him busy when I was potty training him with the crate. What kind of surgery is he having? Good Luck! Please keep us posted on how well he does.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 6:48am PST 
Awwww i'm sorry your dog has to have surgery. Being restricted to cage rest is hard. Kali is right. A kong is a great way to keep busy. I also like chews like bully sticks. way to go
[notify]

Stiles- Winslow- Taylor

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 11:16am PST 
Hey everyone, thank you for your replies!

A Kong is a great idea, I will go down to the pet store to buy one for him today. And his surgery was on his pelvic bone; he broke it in three places. So far he is doing great, we brought him home yesterday and he has been napping and playing with a few of his toys in his cage. Sometimes he will watch t.v. with us laugh out loud

And I have never heard of bully sticks but I will also look for those in the store as well!

Thank you all for your concern!

B.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 3:28pm PST 
Poor baby. Hope he heals fast. Please keep us posted on his progress. You can also get him a puzzle toy. With some, they have compartments you put treats or kibble in, and they have to figure out how to open the compartments to get the food. Some dogs figure it out quickly, others it takes a little while and others get bored and give up. Good Luck!
[notify]
Babe

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 6:52am PST 
Only thing i would be careful of is giving him.anything consipating..he will be moving less so excercise wont help him have BMs also pain in his pelvic region means it may be unconfortable for him to go..maybe ask your vet if he needs stool softener or something..or if he can have a little jar of baby food like prunes once a day..i woukd give anything without a vets advice though cause you dont want things to go too soft!
I would just avoid anything that has the potential to block him up as he wont be moving around much..hope he gets better soon
[notify]