GO!

Checking for ticks on big, hairy, black dogs...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 4:04pm PST 
I'm going camping this weekend and the pups are joining me. They're both black and hairy, Baby especially. What's the most effective way to check for ticks? Would a flea comb or something similar be able to pull them out after a walk if any have collected? Other ideas?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 12:27am PST 
A metal flea comb caught about 75% of the ticks last June when Max was completely covered with at least 500 but for the usual 3 or 4 it isn't very helpful.

Brown ticks show up well in Max's long but not very thick black fur but usually I just give him a really good scritch all over to find ticks after an outing. I had a harder time finding them in Sassy's close fitting very dense short double coat than Max's long fur believe it or not.

The tiny deer ticks would be impossible to get with a flea comb or feeling them, really you might consider using tick collars just for the trip and keep them in the freezer tightly wrapped for the next trip.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 5:15pm PST 
Oh boy.

Well which brand of tick collar do you think I should get?
[notify]

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 5:15pm PST 
or use a topical product that repels ticks like advantix or activyl
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 6:47pm PST 
Max doesn't get ticks and fleas as a rule so I would choose a collar I could remove rather than using a spot on. Since they are really powerful I don't know if they would work for him. As a young dog he had a few seizures triggered by stress and not very dangerous chemicals but I would still try it as he is okay with spot on flea drops.

Here is Gil's page on tick disease.
https://sites.google.com/site/tickbornediseaseindogs/
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 8:10am PST 
the new effective collars need to be left on to work effectively. I have looked into it. I would never use an over the counter brand either.
We use topical and neem spray when heading into the woods
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 11:32am PST 
Last time I took Koorazh into the woods of West Virginia in May I ended up pulling more than 30 ticks off of him and about 10 off of me. In fact, I cut the hike short because he was getting so many ticks. He ended up getting a tick borne illness. We just stay out of the woods during high tick season until they invent doggy sized hazmat suits.
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 2:07pm PST 
Flea and tick collars don't really work all that well. I have seen dogs and cats wearing them and they get ticks anyway. Topicals from the vet, like Frontline, Advantage, Certifect, etc are best.
[notify]