GO!

Puppy with Bloody Stool?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Zeppelin

Bounce!

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 10:29pm PST 
First of all, no one panic, going to call the vet first thing. XD

Zeppelin here just came home a week ago. Today he's had loose stools all day, but he's been acting normal and playing normal, and seems to be eating just fine. But this latest time he pooed, it had a small amount of bright red blood in it.

Internet research seems to say the most common cause is worms or intestinal parasites. He was dewormed three times before 8 weeks, and then got Iverhart/Frontline (half dosages because of his weight) on Monday after seeing the vet for a kennel cough and one other vaccine. He bounced back just fine from that.

Is there a parasite he might have that deworming and the heartworm/flea/tick stuff doesn't cover? He's not showing any other symptoms, which I would expect if it were something horrible like Parvo.

I just want some insight, I'm a paranoid mom and would call the vet right now at 2am if he were showing any other symptoms aside from the blood in his stool. But other than that, he seems absolutely fine. Am I overreacting and stressing over something small? If his stool is better in the morning, should I put off the vet till Monday? (Small town, they're closed over the weekend, but if I call they'll return the call right away. They're awesome like that.)
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 12:44am PST 
I don't think dewormers cover Giardia unless its Panacur..

But when my puppy had Giardia he slept all day. thinking
I hope Zepp feels better soon!
[notify]
Zeppelin

Bounce!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 9:08am PST 
Took Zeppelin to the vet, and they sent out the fecal sample to be tested and put him on antibiotics. smile Should find out on Monday for sure what it is, but he's good for now!
[notify]

Bentley

More treats.- Always more- treats.

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:13pm PST 
I hope he's doing okay! Bentley had bloody/loose stool the day after I got him. He seemed fine besides that but the next day he took a turn for the worse and we got him to the animal hospital just in time. He had parvo and they were able to save him after a week of intensive care but they said that puppies go from fine to dead in a matter of hours, so we were lucky! I hope your case is not even close to that serious. Zeppelin is such a precious little guy. Good luck!
[notify]
Zeppelin

Bounce!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 9:51pm PST 
Zeppelin is doing fine! The tests came back chock full of Giardia, so he's three days into the specific mess for that along with the antibiotic, and his stool is already back to normal. So after this round he should be parasite free! smile
[notify]
Tessa

You may- approach.

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 5:51am PST 
If a new puppy has bloody stools you can just about bet it came from a puppy mill or a backyard breeder who doesn't keep his dog's water, food, living areas, etc., clean. Before our human knew how bad puppy mills were, she bought me and my brofur at a pet store. We both developed showed bloody stools after a few day. The vet said we had picked up the infection from our mother and most likely she was living in dirty conditions.cry
[notify]