GO!

Its always Arkane..

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Arkane

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:35am PST 
Blah, bluh, bleh.

I found a tick on Arkane's ear the other day, next day he wouldn't eat and was puking up bile every hour. Since then it is now water.
Yesterday the vets told us he has Lyme Disease. confused
He started Doxycycline last night and I'm just aching to see improvement. The only thing I can get him to eat is cheerios and its a hit and miss if that even stays in his stomach.

Man, idek. Nare has never had Giardia or any of these weird disease things. Hes never had a tick or a flea but Arkane gets them.
It makes me want to cry. Arkane is so sweet and really doesn't deserve to be in constant pain like this. frown

I think theres some other dogs here with Lyme Disease (Trigger?). Can you chime in ? I don't really know what to expect in the long run.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:40am PST 
i hope others can chime in. So they did a lyme disease test and confirmed it was lyme disease?

I didn't know vommitting was associated with it but I could be wrong. I know stiffness and pain in the joints are the most common signs of lyme disease. I know that some dogs do not tolerate doxycycline very well...it can cause an upset stomach especially if given on an empty stomach. He should be eating if he's taking it.
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:52am PST 
They did one and it came back negative, but assured me that it was Lyme. He does have joint inflammation and will yelp if you feel around his body and is reluctant to do anything but lay in his crate.
Arkane is what I like to call ~special~. If he doesnt eat every 4 hours he will puke, no matter what. frown Hes just not interested in food, will take a handful of cheerios and a little lunch meat with his meds and lay back down. He eats and drinks while laying down too.

Where he was bit is a raised bump and is red and a little bit of hair loss.
I honestly know nothing about ticks, I had never seen them in my life. I thought it was a skin tag growing on his ear until I saw its stupid little creepy spider legs moving. I pulled the stupid suckers out and burned it alive. Staythehelloffmypuppygoddamnit. ):
[notify]

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 10:04am PST 
Did they remove the tick head from Arkane?

I've never had to deal with lyme disease thankfully but hopefully someone else with info will chime in.

As for the eating... you can try blending dog food and giving with water kind of like soup. I did this for sweetie when she refused to eat actual kibble or wet food. just some chicken broth and chicken pureed and offered.

I hope he feels better soon. wishes
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 10:06am PST 
Are they sure it's Lyme and not something like ehrliciosis? They are both from ticks and can have similar symptoms. Jax had both and was much sicker with the ehrliciosis. She didn't have vomiting but she wouldn't eat. If he does, the good news is you treat both with Doxy. It took forever for Jax to get well so be prepared for that possibility. It took several rounds of meds to get her in remission. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Edited by author Thu Apr 18, '13 10:10am PST

[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 3:55pm PST 
That sure doesn't sound like Lyme disease at all. Lyme is mainly categorized by achy/swollen joints. Plus it usually takes a while for it to set in. I would get another opinion but I would keep him on the Doxy just in case it is another tick borne illness
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 12:55am PST 
They did not remove the tick head, when they looked they didn't really say the head was there and it was my first time seeing a tick so I'm not sure if I got the head or not.. AKA they didn't seem that concerned about it.

Also didn't mention ehrliciosis or any other possibilities. The vet seemed pretty certain that it was Lyme, but I don't really trust her either.

Not noticing much improvement yet, its a pain to get a puppy to swallow pills when he won't eat ground beef / lunch meat / hot dog. But he will eat cat food.

The vets only gave us 2 weeks of Doxy. I read that most vets prescribe it for 5+ weeks.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 4:25am PST 
I would get a second opinion.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 4:47am PST 
There is no way he could get Lyme that fast! It takes a minimum of two weeks, usually more like a month.
It sounds more like panosteoitis to me, fitting with his age and predominate breed.
Before I stuffed anymore antibiotics in him I would definitely get a true diagnosis of Lyme on a test. Doxy makes them have a very upset stomach!!!
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 10:45pm PST 
Aww, I'm sorry Girl. frown I remember when you were so excited to get him, and now you're dealing with this. I definitely second everybody's idea of getting a second opinion. Sounds like the vet doesn't really know what they're talking about. confused
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2