GO!

Trifexis or Sentinel????

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Josie- *Forever in- Our Hearts*

Happy to work

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 10:15am PST 
So Star has whipworms, not a problem..pretty easy to treat. The problem is my other dogs are not currently on a med that prevents or kills whipworms (we have been using revolution for years without a problem).

I have been reading about Trifexis and Sentinel and have some concerns about both, mostly because Josie and Wiggles have had seizures in the past (Josie is epileptic and Wiggles rarely has them..cause unknown for him). I have heard that Trifexis is not safe for dogs with seizure disorders so I was wondering about Sentinel but there seems to be less information about Sentinel.

My vet is pressuring me to use Trifexis but I dont want to give Josie or Wiggles something that could make their seizure disorders worse.

What is everybody's opinion on which I should use??
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 10:21am PST 
Why not use anotehr type of dewormer? Jake used to be on trifexis only for the heart worm prevention. He was fine till it got super expensive for me and i didn't want to keep giving it to him. Now we use WormShield instead and then only in teh summer months. do no other dewormers get rid of whip worm?

Don't let the vet pressue you into somethign you don't think is sife for your pups. Tell him you want another option. I thankfully haven't had a seizure issue wth Jake or caroline but my old trainers beagle started to have worse intense seizures after changing his flea medicationf rom Advantix to Frontline. So do what you think is best.
[notify]

Happy to work

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 10:42am PST 
I have never heard of WormSheild but I just looked it up and it does not say if it treats whipworms or not frown It only mentions roundworms, heartworms, and hookworms
[notify]

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 11:43am PST 
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2163

an article i found on whipworms. it says you can use pancur. I use pancur to cure my dogs of giardia when they get it 1-2x every few months from the dog park or a random puddle. I think it's used for whipworms in goats too. You can get pancur as Safe-Guard and some other names at dog stores or online. I buy it at the feedstore for goats for about $20 and it has 5 distinct doses for my dogs.

So i would ask your vet about other options other then trifexis if you don't feel comfortable giving that. I didn't see the point in worming jake monthly when he never had worms to start with and his wellness plan covers 2 wormings a year.
[notify]

Happy to work

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 12:49pm PST 
I am going to use pancur for treating Star, the problem is that whipworms live in the soil and can live in the soil for a long time so I need to have my dogs on some sort of preventative. So far the only options are Trifexis and Sentinel...

I talked to my vet a bit more and she called the rep from each of the companies (probably expecting them to comfort me).

The Trifexis rep said that while there is no conclusive evidence that Trifexis is unsafe for animals with seizure disorders the rep said that it would be risky.

The sentinel rep said that in some dogs on of the ingredients can penetrate the blood - brain barrier which can cause neurological issues, they are not sure why this happens in some dogs but it would be risky to put Josie on it.

So as of now we are at a stand still, my vet is nervous about putting my dogs on either of these (especially Josie). The decision for now is to just treat Star and talk to the companies more to try and find some sort of answer as to which would be less of a risk.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 4:39pm PST 
i see that is a tricky situation.

I hope your vet will think of something or someone with a similar case to yours can chime in what what they've done.

Good luck! wishes
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 1:15am PST 
Sorry to hear about Star’s whipworms and Josie and Wiggle’s seizure disorders frown Sounds like a tough situation to be in.

If I were you, I would absolutely not let my vet pressure me into buying something that I did not feel comfortable giving my pet. My vet recently tried to do that with me, since her office was out of stock of Sentinel she tried to get me to switch to Trifexis (which one of my dogs is under the minimum weight requirement for and I am uncomfortable with the noted side effects of the comfortis portion of the drug in small breed dogs anyway), and then tried to get me to get heartgard (which they used to be on, but one of my dogs did not react well to it). It took some badgering and she tried to dissuade me, but I had her fax my dogs’ negative heartworm tests to another vet which had Sentinel in stock so I could purchase it and feel comfortable with what I was giving them.

I read SO many reviews when I was picking a heartworm preventative, and based on those reviews I chose Sentinel. So far I have been very happy with it- so much in fact, that I have gone out of my way to acquire it for my dogs during the Norvartis plant shut down which caused a big shortage of the drug.

That said, just because it works for my dogs doesn’t mean it would work for yours- mine don’t have seizure disorders, and that is definitely something that needs to be kept in mind when finding the best option for your pups. If it were me, I’d be wary of what the drug reps tell you… their job, after all, IS to SELL their company’s drug… And I would ABSOLUTELY be firm with a vet who’s primary interest was profit from selling medications they had on hand rather than taking your pet’s personal needs into account. Research your options. Read reviews, as many as you can, and especially pay attention to those done by people who own dogs who also have seizure issues and/or are in the same breed/weight category. Any medication has risks and benefits, and finding the one with the best ratio for your pets’ particular needs is the way to go.

That said, I would absolutely be wary of giving Trifexis to any dog with seizures or any small dog based on the reviews I remember reading. From what I remember, Sentinel had FAR fewer negative reactions reported, and the ones that were reported were less severe. The difference between the two are the medications dealing with fleas; Sentinel has lufenuron (Program)- a flea egg inhibitor that destroys the flea’s ability to reproduce. Trifexis has spinosad (Comfortis), a pesticide which kills any fleas that bite the animal. Looking at reviews for those two drugs (which are in the two choices you have right now) also helped me make my decision, and maybe it can help you make yours too.

That said, also keep an open mind to other alternatives if they are available- learn as much as you can about all of your options before making a decision. Good luck!!
[notify]

Happy to work

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 5:24am PST 
Thanks everybody. I still am not sure what I am going to do but am still doing research.

Does anybody know if there is anything I could use to treat the yard (instead of putting the other dogs on preventative)??
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 9:56pm PST 
So i looked it up for you. the odds aren't looking good. Whipworms are apparently one of those nasty parasites that really doesn't die because it has a cyst form and an egg form i guess.

I will post the two links i found. But they both stressed treating the dog is essential.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7761543_cleanse-soil-whipworms.html

h ttp://www.leospetcare.com/how-to-clean-whipworms-from-the-yard-grass -rocks-landscape-or-soil/

hope this helps.
[notify]

Happy to work

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 2:45pm PST 
you got the same results i did. Whipworms suck!!!!

I am thinking that i might just treat all my dogs and give them Pancur them every 3 months which is the time limit i have to give the med to Star (3 days, then 3 weeks later, then 3 months later). It seems like the safest option
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2