GO!

Dogs and Human Medications... Oh Boy.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 10:09pm PST 
I just know way too many idiot dog owners, don't I? Way too many people that SHOULD NOT. EVER. OWN. DOGS.

I want to scream and pull my hair out. Bylaw/Humane Society won't do anything because on the surface, all looks fine and dandy! The dogs have shelter, food, water, treats, toys, affection. If they get smacked around once in a while, animal control isn't going to see and investigation doesn't do much because of course the owners don't do that in front of them. If the dogs SAFETY is at stake... What do they care if they can't SEE it on a day to day basis or evidence of such?

Ugh.

I'm frustrated beyond belief right now.

This poor dog.

Friends have a dog that they should never have gotten. I've tried to do something about the situation multiple times, and nobody will take away their dog, and of course, they don't see the problem, so they won't rehome her..

Anyway...

I got a call. "What can happen if my dog got hold of some T3's and ate them? How fast could they kill her?" Well... I asked the basics: how many did she eat, is she showing any symptoms, how long ago, trying to get details. No symptoms. Within the last few hours.

You know what struck me as the stupidest part of all of it? I get that people make mistakes and sometimes, dogs accidentally get hold of things they normally wouldn't or normally can't. Once is a mistake. But twice? This WAS NOT the first time this dog got hold of this bottle of pills.

In fact. It's the second. The first time, the dog just chewed the bottle and never got it open, thank god. The second time(WHY was there a second time?! HOW WAS THERE A SECOND TIME?! Did you NOT learn from the first time to put the pills where the dog COULD NOT GET THEM?! GRAAHHHHH!!!!!!!), she got the bottle of pills opened and they weren't sure if she got any or not.

I told them of a good E-Vet to take her to if she showed any symptoms, but so far the consensus is that she DID NOT eat any.

BUT WTH IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

I was practically banging my head off the dashboard on the passenger side of my fiance's truck as they were relaying events to me.

You'd THINK people would learn from the first mistake. But no, course not. They're too daft for that. silenced

And I'm frustrated, because no matter how much I complain, I'm just one person, and no matter how much I complain, the investigation goes nowhere because on the surface, all appears to be fine and dandy. I'm beginning to wonder when they'll make the mistake that takes their dogs life. And I'm terrified for her.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 12:28am PST 
Oh Charlie I know exactly how you feel. hug

My cousins had a beagle. Got it as a puppy from some AKC farm in Kentucky or something. It was for my uncle's third daughter. My uncle has 7 children. And yet the dog in a home full of seven children a stay at home wife and countless friends and neighbors that come over all the time. He was left tied outside on about 4 ft of rope and got food and water if someone remembered he was out there.

This beagle howled, cried and barked at any and everything.

Everyone saw how this dog was treated and yet no one woudl do anythign about it.

Flash forward 7 years. This dog is some how miraculously still alive. I'm still not sure how he survived as long as he did what the crap care he got. But it literally came down to my grandfather coming to my uncles home and putting the dog in his car.

Said beagle now is house broken and semi socialized. He's went from being underweight almost skin and bones to being a porker. This dog eats Cherrios for breakfast and steak for dinner on top of dog food. shock

But there maybe nothing you can do except keep calling animal control?

Since like i reported a few weeks ago. They came bugging my place looking for a dog that didn't exist and even after seeing no dog existed continued to come anyway. I've been told they've been around again looking to see if Jake is out in his kennel. Even after I told them he was an inside dog.

Good luck to you.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:04am PST 
Charlie -big hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hug to you for caring so much and trying so hard. There are simply some people who will never learn.cry

Here,I can honestly say my dogs have never gotten into our medications,not only do we keep them safely out of reach ,but the dogs are taught a good "leave-it" command and any dropped pill,which does on occasion happen,is hunted down until found. I would rather be late for an occasion,or even miss an event if necessary to protect my dogs health and safety and anyone who won't accept that as a legitimate reason for my tardiness or absence can go fly a kite. Keep calling AC and Good Luck to you. Hopefully,for the sake of this poor animal,someone will listen before it's too late.flowers
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 12:11pm PST 
I feel your pain.
I was at Petsmart the other day and had a couple run up to me, with their 10 week old GSD puppy on a Gentle Leader!! They asked me how I got my dog to be so calm and if giving their puppy a whole bottle of Nyquil would knock him out.. Uhhmmm? Their puppy was being a puppy and doing nothing wrong at all. Ugh. Told them to talk to their vet and they pushed past me in a huff and said very loudly as they were walking out the store that they were going to give him a whole bottle of sleeping pills when they got home. cry It had to be one of the saddest encounters of my life.. Ugh. People are just dumbdumbdumb.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 12:42pm PST 
I just don't get it! This isn't just a house with a dog. It's a house that has an eight month old baby and a two year old toddler! If the dog could get hold of the bottle, what's to say that the two year old couldn't have? Like.. COMMON SENSE, PEOPLE. And for it to have been the SECOND TIME(and from my understanding, all in a 24 hour period too)? And of course, the couple goes and blames each other for it, and nobody owns up to it. Their dog could have DIED because of their negligence, and they just don't see it! I'm cussing as I type this because I can't cuss on dogster. silenced

The worst my dogs ever got hold of... Was a small piece of a chocolate bunny(Charlie pulled it off the table and Ria ate it), and a cupcake(which Charlie ate whole after stealing it off the counter) - those were the only things my dogs have gotten into that have been fully my fault. Charlie got into rodent poison once thanks to a landlord that was placing it around the BACKYARD without telling me - my dog was rushed to the E-Vet as soon as I found out and got on a round of medications immediately as precaution because we didn't know how much he got if any at all. Medications though... Those are kept put away, out of reach because I ALSO regularly have children here, nevermind just the dogs... shock

The husband asked me to check on his ill wife today... and I've been dreading doing it because I'm doing my best not to go over there and smack them all upside the head and leash up their dog to illegally remove her from the situation. I can't afford to get arrested while I'm pregnant. confused

Nare - Nyquill...?! Really?! I think I would have called the cops then and there...
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 11:01pm PST 
Oh wow. Seriously, those people don't have any business of owning a dog. Once could have been understandable, and at least the dog didn't get a bite of the T3s. But with the second time, I completely understand why you're venting out your frustrations. You did say you were friends with the dog's owner, have you asked them how come that incident happened? Maybe you can talk them into being more careful pet owners for one. I feel truly sorry for the dog.
[notify]
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 1:06am PST 
Breath. Stress is not good for babyhug

My neighbors are laughing at me. Shadow popped open a cupboard door a few weeks ago. Now all doors and drawers have kid latches on them. I have no kids here. Overkill? Maybe but seeing Shadow sniffing the Draino bottle was enough for me. I'm on your side.

And Nyquil? Really?

Things that make me go Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 1:49am PST 
Is this the person with the skeletor setter, or someone else?

I think you might need to re-assess the relationship, frankly. These people are obviously causing you stress. Not good for you or the baby.

You can't cure stupid, sadly.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 7:09am PST 
Guest - when asking them how and why it happened, they only blamed one another for leaving the bottle within reach. Facepalm moment. Nobody will take responsibility.

Lol, Shadow... I have cupboard child-safety latches on all mine too! Ria decided as a tiny puppy that she liked sleeping with my pots and pans, so I put an end to that quick. Nobody wants dog hair in their food! I've also been stressing to them the importance that a crate could play due to this incident. If she hadn't been left home alone(even though she was locked in the bedroom), loose to get into things like that, then they wouldn't have to worry about things like that happening. They keep talking about getting one, but nobody has up and done it. Guess they prefer giving her trouble, versus keeping her safe. thinking

Jackson Tan - it's the SAME couple! I mean, you'd think with ALL the issues they've had with dogs, that they'd SEE there's a problem. But nope. You're right, you really just CAN'T fix stupid! I'm going to keep harassing them about dog training classes. A proper positive reinforcement trainer would give them both a slap of reality(hopefully), and a good dose of "You need to smarten up or you need to rehome your poor dog."

The only part that makes me want to stick around is that they've been coming around to the things I've been saying and have been doing better with her: the husband doesn't smack her around like he used to because me, the wife and my fiance have ALL given him crap for it and showed him how to treat her INSTEAD, they're using positive reinforcement with her now too, she's getting Veterinary care(she was skeletor due to the high exercise on the farm combined with worms - she got Vet care and got that cleared up and is at a healthy weight now!), they walk her more and play with her and do training games with her throughout the day.. I mean, they HAVE stepped up from where they were before. It just saddens me that they're so blind to the issues... I want to keep trying to help, if nothing else, for the sake of the dog.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 8:26am PST 
At the end of the day you can only do so much. From what you write these people sound like a train wreck. Dog or not I just don't think I could stand their drama. Too draining.

It's quite horrifying to think that for every good 'dogster' owner there are dozens of people like these. And so many of them have children. Ugh. What a world.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2