Chocolate bunnies...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!
Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 12:00pm PST 
Just came home from work to find Beanie, 7 lbs toy poodle, acting a bit strange. I checked his eyes and gums and they were dry and tacky and a weird dark color. His abdomen was pretty bloated as well.
I looked around and found a wrapper for a 12 oz solid chocolate bunny with less than a one inch piece of the chocolate left.
Beanie is currently at the vets on IV's and getting activated charcoal plus some other drugs to help his kidneys and liver. They expect two to three days before he is out of the woods and okay.
This was MILK CHOCOLATE, which most of us have been lead to believe is not usually a problem, BUT he weighs 7 lbs, it was good, PURE American made chocolate instead of imported made with tons of sugar as a filler, and he ate about 10 or 11 ounces of it.
This bunny had been sitting, wrapped, on my desk for at least a week now and NO ONE had looked at it or touched it. Suddenly, he climbed up and got it today. Fortunately, I got out of work early today!!
Just wanted to remind everyone on Easter Week that even milk chocolate, in enough quantity, can be extremely serious!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 12:48pm PST 
Poor little guy. I hope he has a speedy recovery. hug

Black dogs rock!
Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 1:37pm PST 
wishes Get well soon , Beaniehughughug to you and your mom.


It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings
Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 3:09pm PST 
Poor baby, poor Mommy...very upsetting experience for both of youhugmeditate Hope everythings all better soon.

The first week we had Callie he broke into a box of candy that we didn't even remember was there. Fortunately it was more just a chocolate flavored fondant than actual chocolate. He's also much bigger than your poor pup. He barfed up everything including part of the box and was fine the next morning.

But yes, anybody who puts out candy for the holidays or when you give it to the kids REMIND them-none for the dog, everything closed away out of reach of the dog. It can save your doggies life.

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 4:15pm PST 
Get well soon!! hug

I love sitting- in laps
Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 4:50pm PST 
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!
Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 5:13pm PST 
Fortunately, I must have gotten home right after he ate most of it... they said he vomited a TON of chocolate, had a bunch of diarrhea, still does... chocolate and charcoal, nice mix, but now he seems okay.
They did let him come home for the night and I must say, he wasn't looking for his supper, BOL!
Assuming he is still fine and hydrated in the morning we will consider him VERY LUCKY!!!!
Still not sure how he got ON my desk, but he will be in his crate from now on when I leave!!!
The- Troublesome- 2 Kc &- Cooper

You must pet me- before you pet- the other
Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 5:24pm PST 
Oh, I'm glad he's getting better. Thank you for the reminders to be mindful of the chocolate bunnies! I'm gonna have to watch my little cousin very carefully, she'll understand that chocolate makes dogs sick if you tell her but she very well might give it to them anyway, just to spite you. shrug

How You Doin'?
Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 7:46pm PST 
Jake Earned- his wings- 10.02.15

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!
Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 11:06pm PST 
happy your little guy is doing better. When i first got jake he'd get into everything. Including chocolates. I've found him with kit kat bars, thin mins you name it. Jake's eatten it. Thankfully he's about 35lbs so I've been very lucky. Even the vets say so.

Happy your little guy is recovering. hug
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3