GO!

Alternative to Topical Preventive

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 3:40pm PST 
My dog has been on Advantage Multi since I got her in July. My vet said that Heartgard isn't working in my area as some dogs are still getting heart worms.

I haven't had problems with Advantage Multi except that Stella freaks out when we put it on. I know it's a mental thing, but it's nearly impossible to get it all on her. Once it's over, she's fine. It's not hurting her, but she has a phobia of us putting it on for some reason. Perhaps this is tied to her fear of nail trims.

I want to avoid the whole issue by giving her a tasty edible preventive, and my vet's office recommended Trifexis over the phone. I didn't talk to the vet directly, so this is the receptionist talking.

I was going to go for the Trifexis but read some crazy reviews about it on amazon. Some people say it makes their dogs very ill, even kills some. However, when you go to the manufacturer's website, they make it seem harmless.

I did a search for Trifexis on this forum and didn't find any horror stories.

Any fans of Trifexis? Any other products I can use? Any way to overcome this fear of topical preventive?

I have to buy something next week, so I don't have too long to decide.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 8:03pm PST 
My Bella is allergic to topicals. So when my girls need flea prevention I use Comfortis-which is by mouth. If they need tick prevention, they wear a preventic collar.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 9:20pm PST 
For fleas, I use Comfortis and haven't had any issues with it. It worked great for Mikey and now Moose.
I'm going to start with Trifexis for Moose this month.
[notify]

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 11:23pm PST 
I gave Trifexis to jake for almost 1 year. I only stopped because Jake has a flea allergy. Meaning if a flea bites he breaks out and itches. As a result he needs a topical. And iw asn't going to pay and douse jake with chemicals on his kin and in his blood.

I read the crazy sounding reviews too. But jake was fine on it. And it was very popular at my petsmart's banfield. I've debated going back to it but it doesn't protect from fleas biting him so i probably won't.

My only recommendation is buy as little as you can in the beginning. My banfield used to sell it in single doses. I would buy one pill every month. But they've stopped doing that. I wouldn't buy a years worth until you know how your pup will hanlde it.

Good luck.
[notify]
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 5:02pm PST 
Thanks everyone. I'm not sure yet if I can buy just one pill. I'll see.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Mar 14, '13 1:55pm PST 
If your vet cannot sell the single dose ask them if they will allow u to return it if your dog cannot take it and then you can get a portion of your money back. My Italian greyhound couldn't handle the trifexis but I really wish I could use it because it treats for heart worms, fleas, round worms,hook worms,and whip worms so its awesome!!! Heartguard plus only trats for heart worms, round worms, and hook worms.
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 10:14am PST 
Just wanted to chime in- most of the really negative reactions I've read about in regards to Trifexis have been in small dogs; larger dogs, for the most part, seem to tolerate it better.
[notify]
Sandy (aka- Thumper)

Stunned that- Dogster is going- away

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 3:46pm PST 
There is a new pill called CCP...ask your Vet about.....it is a combination of meds so effective for a lot of things...but if your dog is sensitive to any then it may not work for you...

the biggest drawback is that you can't buy it by the month..you have to buy a years worth....and they mail it to you...I think they customize it to the weight of your dog.....
[notify]
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 1:26pm PST 
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I bought a single pill today and will give it to her on Friday. I had them weigh her because she was 57 pounds last time. She's at 61! So, that means that she got the pill for 60 to 120 pound dogs. I'm a little worried since it's for very big dogs.

Anyone had experience giving this to dogs right at the border of around 60 pounds?

The person I talked with said that if she vomits after an hour, you're OK, but if she vomits in the first hour, re-give and Trifexis will reimburse. Is this what you've heard regarding the vomiting time limit?

Thanks everyone.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 3:21pm PST 
That sounds familiar. Jake never vomited with trifexis though. He just got dinner of ground meat instead of chicken thighs. Which made him happy.

I would only give if you will be around to supervise all day. I used to give jake his Trifexis and then send him to Daycare or I would be with him all day.

I was very skeptical of it at first. And just for jake's safety since some of the reactions to Trifexis were so severe. I wanted to make sure I was there or someone who could help him would be.

You'll probably be fine. Thankfully Jake i believe was right in the middle of his weight catagory. I've debated goign back to Trifexis but i have to wait for Sweetie to catch up to her ideal weight.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2