GO!

Diarrhea

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:21am PST 
Moose has had on and off loose stools since I got him. He's had 5 different fecal exams since I got him and only the first two (earlier last year) came up with something.

I thought maybe it was his food, but he'll have loose stools for 2 weeks and then it clears up and we're back to normal. Or what is normal for him.
And we'll be on track for 2-3 months and then out of no where we're back to diarrhea. (Not liquid but soft serve or a bit looser).

Maybe it's something he ate, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't eaten anything odd. Could have I guess.

The vet gave us Metronidazole and I'm only on day 3 of the meds.
The vet also wants me to add Metamucil to his food for more fiber, which I've not started yet. His food is grain inclusive.

His training treats are different, but the diarrhea started 3 days ago and he's had these treats for over a week and a half. Could that be it?

His daily diet is his food NV Praire Salmon, wet food- NB in a Kong with apple slices and his treats.

Any ideas of why this is a regular issue?

He's totally normal otherwise. Drinks and eats normally and energy level is normal. His rear end is a bit sore though. Poor guy.

Just thought of this-- Last weekend he got a few tiny pieces of a chopped up pigs ear. A tiny pigs ear, not the big ones. They come from the USA, so they're not from China. But, could that have possibly had a delayed reaction? He got the small bits on Sunday morning and was having the diarrhea at 4am on Wednesday morning.

Edited by author Fri Jan 11, '13 8:54am PST

[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:24am PST 
Have you considered doing an elimination diet? Maybe cut out any new treats for a while and see if that helps?

Edited by author Fri Jan 11, '13 9:30am PST

[notify]
Kodie

U have no toy to- throw? Ill get- you one!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:05am PST 
Does he have stomach issues along with the stool or just soft stools? Meaning is the stomach growling, does he get nauseous, or anything else?

Kodie has had that same type problem but his stomach goes wacky when it happens. We solved it with a regiment of pepcid with every meals and Tylan powder with his food.

Have you had an ultrasound done or has one been recommended?
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:43am PST 
No ultra sound suggestions from my vet or any other check. I'll ask them about other options.
I don't notice any gurgling. Or nausea. He's gassy, but that's not new.

I've been thinking about changing food, but every time I think about it, diarrhea goes away.
Time to change it I guess.

The diarrhea came suddenly this time. Usually it's just a change in his poop. But this time I got the "emergency whine" at 4am and we rushed outside.

Maybe this time it is the teeny tiny piece of pigs ears he got. And when I say tiny piece, it was tiny.
[notify]
Precious- Pearl

PROUD TO BE- PRETTY

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 7:06pm PST 
maybe try the limited ingredient diet lamb and turkey from natures' variety i was able to use it with one of my dog only cause my other had a hard time pooping with it not enough fiber i guess.
[notify]
Envy

Being a sinner- is so much fun

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 7:28pm PST 
Has he been tested for IBS or IBD? I would switch to a fish protein to see if it clears up, maybe add some plain yogurt to help his digestion or if he is already on a food that has probiotics in it, but I would try a limited food or fish protein. Is he on grain free?

Since it's about every 2-3 months have you tried seeing if there is an anxiety trigger? When is your city water treated? There are soooo many different possibilities. I would sit down and write a list of things you could start doing or eliminating to see if it clears up on a more permanent basis.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 12:58pm PST 
Just wanted to add too that Miyu had that for some time as well, after I got her. Just constantly fairly soft, to fairly common issues with diarrhea, which worried me, but she was always bright, happy, hydrated with a good appetite. Switched her food and she's had amazing poop since, very consistently. So truthfully, while you are feeding him a good food it could very well still BE the food.

FYI she was getting the Roasted Fowl TOTW before, and is getting Victor Grain free with Glucosamine added to it now.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 1:43pm PST 
Probiotics don't seem to work. Nor does anything else like yogurt or cottage cheese or rice, so I'll do a food switch I guess.

He was eating a mixture of NV lamb and NV salmon. Last month I switched just to salmon and his poops were what they normally are. Now it's just diarrhea.

This happened about 2-3 months ago and it cleared up within 2 weeks. Without meds. Same thing then as now--emergency whine to be let out at 3am to go and he had diarrhea for 2 weeks or so and poof, gone.

I'll switch foods.
[notify]
Kenya

aka: Barkly- McBarker

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 10:18pm PST 
I have had excellent results with a supplement called "Perfect Form". The Honest Kitchen makes it. It is a natural digestive support mixture that is very effective. Another supplement that is super good for the digestive system and normalizing stools is diatomaceous earth. Either one would be alright to feed along with his kibble.
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 6:21pm PST 
I had to stop feeding NVI Salmon because all the dogs were getting diarrhea from it. It was not constant but they would be okay for a few days and then bam one or two would have loose stool and then they would be good and again it would happen. When I first adopted Bella (our Saint) she had diarrhea and the rescue said she had it since they got her and they couldn't figure it out. It did take me a week to get it controlled. Bella is very sensitive to foods and has had her bouts of diarrhea on and off, I have noticed with her when the food has been to culprit she will also have gas and belching.

Could he possibly be hitting a non growing period where he needs a little less food? Moose is much more active than Bella, as her heart condition keeps her sidelined, but at 12-18months she ate I think 4-5cups...she has been maintaining 135lbs this past year at 3 1/4 cups (1500-1600cal)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2