GO!

I don't know what else to do!?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Tyson

Where's the- ball!?

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:25am PST 
Tyson has allergies, severe allergies. Comparatively speaking he is not losing hair and distressed but his itching has increased again. I have honestly tried everything. He eats Dr. E's Limited Ingredient grain and gluten free buffalo, has only grain and gluten free dog snacks, is bathed once a week with Paul Mitchell for dogs tea tree shampoo, receives Dr Fosters and Smith hot spot treatment as well as an all natural salve that I can't remember the name of. I try to always use free and clear laundry detergent and only baking soda or borax on my carpet to absorb any smells. He is fairly allergic to flea treatment but we've found a spray that works quite well with him.

Honestly, I'm at my wits end. We have been trying to keep the vet cost down but at this point I don't know what to do. He is still intact which has been an issue. We've tried to have him neutered but each time we run into issues. Most recently he stabbed himself in the eye (which he is blind out of) and was in a cone and getting eye meds for a week.

I'm an overly concerned dog mother and I just want him to be comfortable. I've tried natural such as vinegar etc. Please if anyone knows of anything more I can do, please share. Thank you!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:44am PST 
is it just that he is itching excessively? I would consider not bathing him weekly, that may possibly be too often and dry out his skin, making it itch more. Dogs don't really sweat like we do and therefore do not create a build up that needs to be washed off like humans. But even with humans our skin can get dry and itchy from too much bathing! Some dogs may do fine with over bathing, but i would consider cutting back for your dog to see if that helps any. Bathing once a month would allow his skin to balance out better, whilst still keeping clean. It's more the shampoo that would be drying his skin out rather than the water. And while a moisturizing shampoo would obviously be more gentle than not, it still would be too stripping if used too often.
[notify]
Tyson

Where's the- ball!?

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:49am PST 
We had at first considered that bathing him so frequently may be an issue but it's actually a significant help. We know its time to bathe him by two factors, his itch increases and his coat changes sheen. He doesn't have a yeast infection but he gets flaky skin and hot spots. He'll itch and itch and then chew on himself. It's like it turns into a tick and you have to get his attention to make him stop.

Edited by author Fri Jan 11, '13 5:50am PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:55am PST 
hmmmm... how about this: you say that the bathing seems to help, and that could be due to the said tea tree oil that is in the shampoo you use that helps his skin medicinally. But at the same time the shampoo part (lather, sulfates etc) could be making it itchy. Perhaps you could somehow incorporate getting the tea tree oil into his skin, like a massage with some diluted form of it, where it can act as a "lotion" for his skin but has no stripping effects? And then if it is too oily or sticky to remain on him, you could let it sit on him for a few hours or a day (whatever you can stand) and then rinse it off? That way you can get the benefits of what seems to help, but eliminate the shampoo part that may be making it worse.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:07am PST 
Maybe it's a protein in the food he's allergic to. Try switching foods all together and eliminate the current protein you're feeding.
[notify]