GO!

My Boxer Has Red, Itchy Ears

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 7:29am PST 
Hi. My boxer, Barney, has floppy ears and constantly gets red, itchy ears. I feel so badly for him because he scratches them so hard that the hair falls off. I keep taking him to the vet and they give me an antibiotic, that really works, but it costs me $200 bucks a pop every time. Does anyone know of an over-the-counter cream or lotion that I could use that might have the same positive effect?
[notify]
Carbon

I'll just take a- nap until you- pet me.

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:21am PST 
If he is getting reoccurring ear infections it could be caused by allergies and not just the fact that he has floppy ears. My dog Carbon was getting ear infections constantly (he also has floppy ears, he's a lab x boxer) and after spending almost two thousand dollars on vet visits, ear flushes and otomax I did a little research and found out it was food allergies. Carbon is allergic to poultry (with the exception of duck)wheat, eggs, beat pulp (which is used in some foods) and has mild reactions to snow mold in the spring.

Try switching his food to something with ingredients he hasn't been exposed to yet. Anything with fish and potato or oatmeal. I feed Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal or Duck and Sweet Potato. Just make sure the food is wheat and gluten free, it can take a month or so to see any results but it's definitely worth a shot!

As for home remedies for ear infection the best thing is to keep the ears clean and dry. I've heard great things about something called Blue Power but I have never used it myself. I'm sure someone here has a recipe for it if you want to give it a go!

Edited by author Sun Jan 6, '13 11:32am PST

[notify]