GO!

rash on belly between hind legs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 6:58pm PST 
Hi, I just noticed that my 19 month old dog has bright red patches just inside both hind legs on her belly. She normally does not have fur here. She had a rash there several months ago, took her to the vet for prednisone injection, oral antibiotics and it cleared right up and that was during "outdoor allergy season," which was the vets guess. She doesn't seem to be itching or licking this time, so I was surprised to see it. Of course, I will take her to the vet, but we are about to have a huge blizzard tonight, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to help her heal, or at least not get worse over next day or 2? We have Benadryl, although this didn't seem to help much before. I've been gently blotting it clean with water/mild soap and rinsing. Any other suggestions? Thank you.
[notify]
Carbon

I'll just take a- nap until you- pet me.

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 8:01pm PST 
My room mates Lab has the same problem, he actually just got back from the vet for this problem this morning. His is due to contact allergies and the spots between his hind legs and his 'arm pits' get really inflamed and red. The vet prescribed them a topical cream. I don't know what the cream they got is called but maybe you could ask your vet about it, Leroy's seems to do OK as long as it's kept dry and warm, he gets super red after he's gone out to pee.
Im pretty sure Benadryl cannot be given to dogs, my vet told me that is shuts down their livers when I asked about Carbons ears. Not 100% sure about that though :/
Oh and if you have any Ozenol, Polysporin Ointment, or any kind of glaxol based cream with no purfume should help with the itch.
Good Luck!

Edited by author Wed Dec 19, '12 8:04pm PST

[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 8:33pm PST 
Benadryl is safe for dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 9:39am PST 
Yep, I know Benadryl is safe for dogs and my vet gave me the safe dosing for her weight the last time, but it didn't seem to help much last time, and she's not really itching that much anyway. The rash looks much better this morning....so maybe it's some sort of contact dermatitis. Was just wondering it there's something safe I can put on her skin to help it heal until the blizzard clears and we can get to the vet?
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 9:49am PST 
I was replying to the other poster who said Benadryl was not safe. You can try putting cortisone cream on it. Just make sure your pup doesn't lick it off. But it sounds like keeping the area clean is working well so far.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 10:14am PST 
Ok, thanks Lily! Since we're snowed in, and I can watch her, maybe I'll give the cortisone cream a try. thank you.
[notify]