GO!

squinting...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 5:48am PST 
Sparkles had her Cherry eye surgery a little over a month ago. They removed the gland in both eyes and she healed well and soared through her recovery. Just the past day or two, we noticed she's been squinting her one eye. When we put up the tree, there was a lot of dust and she was chasing the cat under it and rubbing her face in thr bottom branches. I thought she was just being silly and maybe the needles felt good on her face. I'm thinking maybe she took one to the eye. She's been keepong it closed almost continuously but does open it every now and then. Any suggestions here? Should I just keep an eye on it for a couple days?
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:01pm PST 
I would have your vet look at it. There may a small stitch remaining that needs to be taken out. Sometimes they don't dissolve and it will irritate the eye. Good Luck!
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 3:46am PST 
Thanks kali. I cant even get her eye open to look at it or even get any drops in it. I think we're heading out to petco today too so we can get her a new cone to wear (she broke the one from the vets office) just to keep her from scratching and rubbing at it. Hopefully that will help too. I'll keep you posted on how things go. She's been keeping it tightly closed unless she REALLY wants to see something. She ran into a couple things. I hate seeing the poor girl like this frown
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 4:11am PST 
Let us know what the vet says. If it is a stitch, it can do harm to her eye. Please keep us posted. Kali ate her cone when she got spayed. LOLOL........I guess some dogs are very talented. LOLOL
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 4:20am PST 
Lol! That does take talent! Lol! Sparkles is like a tank and just runs into things. With the cone it was worse and she just plowed through everything. She snapped it right in half lol. I honestly think she poked her eye with a pine needle from chasing the cat under the tree since none of this happened till after we got the tree out but we'll find out.
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 3:45am PST 
Lol! That does take talent! Lol! Sparkles is like a tank and just runs into things. With the cone it was worse and she just plowed through everything. She snapped it right in half lol. I honestly think she poked her eye with a pine needle from chasing the cat under the tree since none of this happened till after we got the tree out but we'll find out.
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 4:00am PST 
Well, I took a chance and didn't call the vet as I was pretty sure what happened. I went to petco and got some eye drops and a cone for her (She went with me and was picking out toys for christmas while we were there lol) Within the first day, she started slowly opening her eye again and this morning she's had it open a good bit and it looks better without swelling. I still have to watch her as of course smarty pants figured out that if she runs into something just right, the cone pops off lol. Her eye is still itchy (it looks like she gave herself a brush burn from rubbing it on the carpet) I'm thinking another week with the cone and drops and she'll be good as new. I'm glad I went with my gut (she's absolutely terrified of the vet). It saved her the terror of it happy dance
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 5:29pm PST 
Im curious if when they removed the gland they may have caused secondary dry eye? I would get her in ASAP she could have a corneal ulcer now and that needs to be treated ASAP so she doesn't loose her eye!
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:15am PST 
It would be best to have your veterinarian take a look at it. Maybe they just forgot a stitch. Even when they use the kind that dissolve, they don’t always fully dissolve and there can be one left. I hope everything turns out okay!
[notify]